Lenovo ThinkCentre M625 Tiny PC

Lenovo ThinkCentre M625 Tiny PC

PRICE DROP!

Small Print: If you already purchased, that money will hop back into your pockets soonish.

This CPU is not compatible with Windows 11. It is not worth the money.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t use W11 as a guide to a computer’s value, but rather, its processor and other components. In this case, this is the CPU’s passmark:

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=AMD+A4-9120C&id=3531

Patience will be a requirement. This level of performance almost matches that of a Pentium. From 15 years ago.

AMD A4-9120C vs Intel Pentium E5200 @ 2.50GHz [cpubenchmark.net] by PassMark Software

(Note that I am not staff. I just volunteer to help out on the forums.)

2 Likes

I agree. I don’t like and don’t use Windows 11. HOWEVER the reason it indicates the computer’s value is that Windows 10 stops getting security updates in OCTOBER 2025. We are universally told to not run an operating system without security patches.

Therefore, in addition to being horrendously poor performing hardware, for home users, this computer is supposed to go to a landfill next year. Life-expectency is less that 20 months. That’s a bad deal.
So, DON"T BUY THIS COMPUTE. For most people it would be a waste of money.

Yes, I have posted the details of the workarounds to make Windows 11 install on unsupported hardware. It can be done. It almost always works, but it is beyond the ability of most end users (I’ve done tech support for 25 years).

3 Likes

I’ve been working on PCs for … nearly 40 years. :scream_cat:

2 Likes

actually not hard at all. There are all kinds of YouTube tutorials. I have even changed out the HDD on a 2008 iMac, installed an SSD and put W11 on it as native boot. I was even able to find all of the drivers after doing some internet scouring. There’s no guarantee that as some point MS will find a way to block this (or block updates) but I have this running on an Intel Core 2 duo 2.4Ghz and it’s not horrible.

1 Like

The issue isn’t W10 versus W11 - that’s a side issue.

The real problem is that the specs are pathetically bad. There’s a reason why it’s so cheap. There’s nothing there even worth recycling or reusing.

PRICE DROP!

Small Print: If you already purchased, that money will hop back into your pockets soonish.

Win11Pro key itself is worth more than the computer so I’d say it’s a decent deal if you are after a win 11 pro key. This computer looks like it wouldn’t be able to do much more than browse the internet.

FWIW, OEM keys are generally not transferable. Once it’s installed, it’s tied to that hardware.

(Note that I am not staff. I just volunteer to help out on the forums.)

3 Likes

I’ve purchased refurb education laptops from Woot for 1/2 the price with a better CPU… A year and a half ago.

I’m sending systems to be recycled that have CPU scores 5x what this is.

Run away.

1 Like

monty python GIF

Agreed, even putting a lightweight Linux based OS or ChromeOS Flex on this would be a waste of time. I’m always one to say reuse and refurbish instead of send it to the recycler, but in this case there’s not much value in trying to use it for any task except maybe as a PiHole or similar net appliance. Even then, the power/performance ratio is not great and you’d be wasting money not only on the device itself but on the electricity it uses.