LG Portable Air Conditiong Units

LG Portable Air Conditiong Units

Conditiong?

1 Like

came here to post the same thing, it’s mis-spelled in the URL and on the front page as well

Sounds like a couple of smart guys don’t know what conditiong means.

1 Like

Unless you have no choice or lots of extra power bill money, avoid single hose portable roller A/C units like the plague.

They are so horribly inefficient that the EPA refuses to grant any of them an Energy Star rating.

Furthermore, the EPA finally clamped down on single hose portable A/C unit maufacturer claims about their cooling BTU claims, forcing them to dramatically reduce BTU claims.

Single hose portable A/C units work by exhausting the heat they remove from the room out the window via that hose. However, the only way that exhausted air can be replaced in the room is by sucking hot, unconditioned outside air into the house thru outside cracks in the house, windows, doors, etc… Counterproductive and inefficient.

Traditional central air systems don’t have this problem because they separate the hot parts outside.

Properly installed window A/C units are also more effiencient than single hose portable units (but less efficient than central air systems) since they locate the hot bits on the outside.

2 Likes

We’re getting the title fixed, hold your horses. This is what happens when you let Monte and Mortimer use the computer. They swore they were just looking up banana pudding recipes…

1 Like

What’s the model # of the 14K unit?

Blue maple, don’t you think that if we could afford central air we’d have it? Or fit a window AC securely and safely in a window we’d do it? These portables work great for a place impossible to cool with a traditional AC.

I have found these are great for use after a Hurricane when the power is out for a week. Just make sure you have a generator that can handle the load.

I want it. It’s everything. I mean, look at us. We’re just the air conditioners. I mean, after all we’re just walking around on the planet… breathing… conditioning the air… I condition it hot, that conditions it cold… I mean, it’s symbiotic, no?

I would stay away from these - you don’t know what you will get!!!

I purchased one the 14k BTU last year. I visited the LG site in advance to make sure the model would have the drainage hose that would release the water outdoors along with the warm air. When I received it, it DID NOT come with the appropriate window mounts to accommodate the small hose!!

Not a response from WOOT when I complained.

I don’t think bluemaple is saying you should get central air or a window AC instead. Obviously, if you’re shopping for a portable AC, then you’re not in the market for central air or window AC’s for various reasons. What he is saying is to avoid portable AC units with a single exhaust hose, if you must buy a portable AC. There are dual hose portable AC units that are more efficient and cool better. By having both an exhaust hose and an intake hose, they avoid the issue of inadvertently drawing hot air into the room through cracks under the door, around the window, etc. (which cancels out some of the cooling the AC is doing).

“Can’t afford”… That would be a false economy over time vs. window A/C since the real world cooling capacity of single hose portable A/C units is half or less of window or central A/C per unit of electric bill consumed.

And you’re likely making other rooms in the home less comfortable by drawing in hot, humid, outside unconditioned air.

At least do yourself a favor by reducing the heat radiated by that single house back into your room by keeping the hose short.

Or spending a few more bucks to get a dual hose unit that is at least closed loop other than the hose heat radiation.

And you’re ignoring the first statement… “unless you have no choice”.

BTW, another option if you cannot afford central A/C is the mini split. They can be self installed if you’re handy and are available for about $700 on the mothership, Amazon.

Bottom line: the point of the comment was education since you won’t find single hose portable A/C brands acknowledging the shortfalls.