Linksys Velop Mesh WiFi System

Linksys Velop Mesh WiFi System

Four Stones, four crates. ZERO STONES! ZERO CRATES!

2 Likes

Tell you what I do like, though, a killer. A dyed-in-the-wool killer, cold-blooded, clean, methodical, and thorough. Now a real killer, when he picked up the ZF-1, would have immediately asked about the little red button on the bottom of the gun.

1 Like

Super Green!

2 Likes

I refer people to my comments from the last time this was posted:

I have an extra router that I planned to set up as a repeater to improve my WiFi range. What would be the benefit of using one of these instead?

You can configure all your old routers with the same SSID/password, but when you change rooms your device won’t automatically change to the strongest signal/closest router. You’d have to turn wifi off/on to reconnect to the closest router, which turned out to be a pain in the donald.

On another note, this Velop system REQUiRES an App to set it up - so when the app stops being supported, these routers will be obsoleted and turn into bricks. That also means they have Bluetooth on them, in an era were many malicious apps are abusing bluetooth. I chose a different mesh router system that woot has sold here recently because it doesn’t have bluetooth and is setup over standard wifi or ethernet so it can’t be obsoleted. I’ve been ORBIting my house hassle-free ever since.

and FWIW, ethernet backhaul is not necessary but ROCKs if you have the cable runs for it.

On another note, this Velop system REQUiRES an App to set it up

This is not exactly true. When you try to logon to the router using a web browser it tries to push you to use the app, but it is not required. There is a link on that page that says “Continue to Linksys Smart Wi-Fi” that allows you to fully administer the devices using a web browser. The web interface is more fully featured than the app.

Wooter642088240

Thanks!

No Psikic, the ONLY way you can setup the FIRST router is via the app.

Yes, from that point forward you can do administration via wifi. But the first time you have to do a factory reset without the app they are bricks. Having been burned before, I don’t buy app-dependent hardware.

Also there is the pesky matter of having local hardware capable of bluetooth sniffing connected to the internet.