Microsoft 10.8" Surface 3 Tablet with Keyboard

Microsoft 10.8" Surface 3 Tablet with Keyboard

Can this tablet be connect to a monitor? My 83 yr old father needs a much bigger display

It has a mini-DisplayPort, so with the proper cable it can be connected to any standard monitor or television. Windows 10 allows for mirroring the display or even making the external display the only active one.

2 Likes

A desktop computer (or all-in-one) with a nice, big monitor might be a better choice. This version of the Surface has a slow processor and isn’t known to be the most reliable computer out there. I got my 89-year-old great aunt a refurbished Dell desktop and a 23" monitor. Just about perfect for her.

2 Likes

Get yourself something like this and call it day. You can get hubs with both VGA and HDMI, or display port(s). Depends on what you want to spend. Well worth their weight in gold. We use the Dell 2-in-1 tablets (IMO, a better device) and get these hubs for the users. Lets you treat them like a “desktop”.

This docking station is designed specifically for the Surface 3, however as someone else mentioned, a mini-displayport to HDMI cable would work fine as well. Also, if you have a tv that allows you to connect wirelessly (I have a Samsung that does), you should be able to connect without any cables at all.

Amazon.com: Microsoft Docking Station for Surface 3 (not compatible with Surface Pro 3) SC EN/XD/ES Hdwr (GJ3-00001) : Electronics

I typed this on my 6 year old Surface 3, by the way.

2 Likes

I own a refurb Surface 3 with refurb typecover and it is great for basic tasks while traveling if you must stay with a Windows OS and want something more than a tablet and something larger than a phone but smaller than a typical laptop. You’re pushing it with just 64GB storage and a low-power processor but, at this price, I just might get this as a backup device. However, when considering whether this suitable for a senior person, I recently purchased a ChromeBOX for my elderly mother (yes, it also requires a separate monitor, keyboard and mouse). I have to say the Chromebook experience on a desktop format was a smart move. My “tech support” calls from her have dropped considerably since switching her from a Windows desktop to a Chromebox. YMMV.

I’d just like to say that having owned a couple of Surface devices, they are great for many people and purposes. But I don’t think it would be my first choice for doing something like you are inquiring about.

Hope no one has bought this darn slow machine.