Neato XV-12 All Floor Robotic Vac

LOVE!!!
This robot is smarter than I am! I still have an old Rhomba, but it only gets to do my outside screened-in porch now where it can bang into anything it wants.
Neato is a tad loud, but so is my manual vacuum which I seldom have to use anymore. I also seldom have to clean up things before putting this sucker to work! (I don’t schedule it, but just put the button twice when I see animal hair drifting across the room and it sprigs into action!)

Neato is coming out with a newer model. It will have a hepa filter and the roller will have brushes. It is supposed to be a “pet Neato”. I am not sure I want the brush roller because when I had a Roomba, the pet hair got tangled in it. That’s what’s “neato” about this model, is that the pet hair does not get tangled in the blades. And beleive me, my Neato vacumes up a lot of dog hair every day. It is also much pricier than this Neato on Woot.

How does this thing do with… uhh… junk left around the house? Like stuff that may be on the floor one day, and gone the next? We have a three year old. Occasionally (okay, every day), some of his toys make it on the floor and not into his toy box.

Plus, we’re in a constant state of moving shiz around in this storage-less, tiny house that we’ve outgrown. So usually there’s some kind of crap on the floor.

How often do they have to be emptied?

I’ve used Roomba and a Neato. I like the neato more. It just seems to work better and it’s lasted longer without a battery issue.

Dear wooters,

Please continue with your praise of this product, so that I can hold off buyers remorse over buying a $300 vacuum.

I’m moving in with a roommate soon who has two cats. Hopefully this, the hardwood floors, and the multiple HEPA purifiers I plan to buy will keep my cat-allergic boyfriend from being overly miserable when he visits every other month (it’s a long distance thing)

In for one.

I own a roomba 4xx. It vacuums well, but is dumb when it comes to navigation. It fell down the stairs on its first cleaning.

My main gripe with roomba is the battery. It has a nicad, and it did not last a year.

What is the difference between this XV-12 and the XV-11 on the Neato site?

My Neato seems to be quieter than the one in the cat video, and is certainly quieter than my Dyson. I really like it, but have to remember to keep stuff off my floors. Great for under the beds, which I previously got to only about once a year. Highly recommended.

We bought a Neato on woot a few months ago and it has already given us problems. It simply won’t pick up any dirt any more. I’ve taken the thing apart to see what could be causing it, but nothing yet. It sounds like it is functioning, but there is no suction. Changed the filter, but it didn’t look that bad. Contacted Neato and was a black hole–no response.

I guess this is a “buy at your own risk.”

[QUOTE=lichme, post:24, topic:350463]
Here is a picture of the bin. Depending on the size of the house, you might be able to use it a few times before having to empty it.

*May need to empty it a few times on your first run.

[/quote]

So that’s where the game carts go :O)

[QUOTE=jackquake, post:50, topic:350463]
We bought a Neato on woot a few months ago and it has already given us problems. It simply won’t pick up any dirt any more. I’ve taken the thing apart to see what could be causing it, but nothing yet. It sounds like it is functioning, but there is no suction. Changed the filter, but it didn’t look that bad. Contacted Neato and was a black hole–no response.

I guess this is a “buy at your own risk.”
[/quote]

Seems unlikely, they have excellent customer support and are quick to send out replacements if there are issues. Perhaps try reaching out to them again?

i am quite smitten with my neato - and agree it is superior to the roomba (sorry, buddy)

it IS easier to clean and
to answer trsherman’s question - in my experience, it is much less likely to get hung up in places.
roomba required a lot of “prep the room” time - i don’t find that with neato. Neato hasn’t gotten stuck under my kitchen counters and various other spots as roomba does.

one thing that did throw me was the placement of the base (usage of base is necessary for those nifty scheduled cleanings). I live in an old (oft cluttered) home. ** Three pronged outlets aren’t in abundance. Most of my base moldings are shoe or quarter round moldings**, making it impossible for the base to fit neatly against the wall.
The base location must also have** a clear, three foot area around it.**
find an area with all the above in a room that you want vacuumed frequently.

Miraculously, there was but ONE area in a prime location that met all the requirements. (the woot! gods were with me when I spotted that nice flat(ish) base molding in the dining room).

I mention this only because this issue momentarily interrupted the otherwise blissful experience that has been …… neato.

from the instructions ……
*When placing the charging base, ensure that:
•the back of the charging base is against a wall
•the charging base is least 3 feet from a corner of the room
•the charging base is not tilted
NOTE:There are exit holes on either side of the charging base so that you can
have the cable exit the charging base on the side closest to the wall plug.
*
http://www.robotshop.com/PDF/neato-xv-11-user-guide.pdf

eta: the exit holes on either side of the charging base came in handy.
After finally finding my location, not having this option would have put me right over the edge. ; )

[QUOTE=lichme, post:24, topic:350463]
Here is a picture of the bin. Depending on the size of the house, you might be able to use it a few times before having to empty it.

*May need to empty it a few times on your first run.

[/quote]

LOL…you may need to vacuum before using it for the first time. That’s like people who wash the dishes before they put them in the dishwasher. Hahaha FTW.

[QUOTE=Calantorntain, post:46, topic:350463]
Dear wooters,

Please continue with your praise of this product, so that I can hold off buyers remorse over buying a $300 vacuum.

I’m moving in with a roommate soon who has two cats. Hopefully this, the hardwood floors, and the multiple HEPA purifiers I plan to buy will keep my cat-allergic boyfriend from being overly miserable when he visits every other month (it’s a long distance thing)
[/quote]

So what are you doing when he isn’t around, Bebe? LOL. Maybe the cats are allergic to your boyfriend…ever consider that? LOL.

stop selling expensive stupid b s on woot woot was at one time awesome

I bought one retail for my mother at Christmas and she loves it. Kicked myself when I saw it selling $100 cheaper on Woot. Just yesterday I told my daughter “If I ever see it on Woot again I’m buying one for me!” It’s an Easter Miracle.

Does anyone know how well it navigates the strips inbetween different types of flooring? Going from the living room to hallway is 1/4 inch or so, I suspect it can handle that. but from the kitchen to living room is about 3/4" eeek

Just bought one on woot a few weeks ago and to be honest didn’t have very high expectations…WRONG…it is the best.
We are 100% hardwood floors. It cranks up at 9am each day and picks up a bin full of dust, dirt and old English sheepdog hair…
I will never be without one again…ever. sure wish I had stock in the company…they are going places.
You will not regret the purchase…dive in.

I’m always tempted when I see these things, but I’m waiting for Dyson to come out with one for $1200. I figure I can get a steal on a refurb on Woot for $939.99.