Philips 1GB MP3 Player with Voice Recorder

Can we store any type of files on this thing?
doc, pdf,ppt, exe…etc?

Back in the day when 1GB MP3 players / voice recorders were the newest hot item, about three years ago, I used to pay about $40 to $75 for the voice recorder model. For jotting down project ideas and notes I used the voice recorder a lot back then.

Now these are super cheap because 1GB is considered old technology. The voice recorder feature drives up the price a little, to maybe about $20.

On eBay searching “1GB MP3” comes up with about 9500 items. But see below where I mention the 550 hits I got on eBay when I searched for ones with an added FM radio.

And when I changed the search term to “2GB,” 170 hits came up. So it looks like even 2GB MP3, with voice recorder and FM radio can be had for under $30, shipped. [I’m not saying they are top quality, but for $30, that’s dang low in terms of price.]

So IMHO this is priced OK, but it’s not a super deal. Truth be told, the user interface [green LCD] and other features are kind of outdated. Most newer models have an SD slot that you can insert up to 2GB SD chips into. That is far better than internal memory, which this has.

It is nice that this one has the voice recorder and is powered by an AAA battery,.
When I used to take my AAA powered MP3 players to the gym, they would last about a month or so [playing about 45 minutes at a time.] That’s not bad. I always carried an extra AAA battery in my pocket [in a little plastic bag] so I would not run out of juice while on the aerobic machines.

But this is somewhat of an antique. On eBay for under $20 shipped you can get a 1GB MP3 player, with voice recorder, AND AN FM RADIO! Search on eBay, in the title section only, for “1GB MP3 voice recorder FM” came up with 550 hits. Granted they may not be the best and hold up all that well, but I am not too sure where this Philips was made. Probably “Made in China” just like all those offered on eBay.

Sidenote: If you bought three of these so that the $5 shipping is spread out, this is not a bad stocking stuffer, but IMHO, just barely.

I don’t know about this model, but most of these that have a USB plug or connect via a USB cable [which this does] can function as a “thumb drive” meaning you can put any files you want on the device and transfer them or whatever.

Most of these devices connect to Windows XP Explorer, for example, and XP recognizes them as a “drive.” Windows Explorer opens the 1GB “folder” and lets you access the files.

I guess it depends how old this is, but back three or four years ago a USB connection meant you could operate these as thumb drives.

Since the spec on this is supposedly USB 2.0, that means its a fairly new model, probably about a year or so old. Caution: Although this is a name brand, I always question if a device is truly USB 2.0

Many manufacturers deceptively say “USB 2.0 Compatible” which means it works on a USB 2.0 port, but it’s not really a USB 2.0 device. But I can’t imagine Philips making that up. Usually it’s the cheap Chinese devices that say a device is USB 2.0, but inside it’s really slower USB 1.1 If you ever have a device working slow at transferring files even though it is a supposed USB 2.0 device, that usually is an indicator that it has USB 1.1 internals.

I digress, forgive me and good night.

I don’t have either since I have about ten or more little MP3 players from the old days [about two years ago.] I use my BlackBerry Curve now, for video and MP3.

But I agree with you. That Sansa was a way nicer player and far better Woot. Plus, isn’t that Sansa a 2GB player? No matter, it is still nicer than this outdated-looking green LCD.

I only want this to use it as a Voice Recorder, dont feel like buying 40+ dollar one.

so heres my questions…

How long is record time?

And how long is battery life?

85db SNR

In for Three, Great Gift or Resale item :slight_smile:
Make it something cheap but worth while tomorrow woot!

TWG

User manual here, and the flyer (with more spec information) is here.

• MP3, WAV and WMA support.
  • Does not support Audible.com or DRM (unless they are keeping those a secret)
  • USB 2.0
  • Yes, you can store files other than music on this
  • No, there is no expansion slot to add storage capacity
  • Firmware upgradeable

Compared to the other MP3 players that Woot! has offered recently, this is a poor value, even though it is new and not refurbished. The Sandisk Sansa C240 refurbished that I bought a couple of at $15.99 each a little over a week ago had WAY more features (color screen, Audible and DRM support, FM tuner, MicroSD expansion slot) and was a brand that I have had excellent experience with.

Now if they would just get here… looks like they estimate another week or so (I hate SmartPost).

Is there an easy way to save songs from an itunes library as mp3 and wma files without using Windows XP. I was thinking of buying this for a young person for Christmas and loading it with a few songs. Is it a reasonable price for a first-time MP3 player?

One of the most helpful posts. Thanks!

Haha “Santa loves the Wu.”

best statement on an item, ever.

Will my kids take this in place of the iPod that has been on the Christmas list for the past 3 months?

Does NOT interface with Xbox 360. A known issue with all Philips Go MP3Players

John Philip Sousa wrote the national anthem?

Nope, he may have played it, He mostly wrote Marches, Oh how I disliked him in school I wanted to play Jazz. Come on WOOT, where were you in 6th grade? Glad I don’t come to ya’ll for information, just good deals.

As for the product, not the greatest in the few reviews I have seen, but then again, for under $20.00 a pop for 3 of em, they may make me some points as stocking stuffers. I’ll help ya get rid of 3 of em.

In for 3. One for me and two cheap gifts. Who cares what it looks like, it’ll make a nice Secret Santa gift or stocking stuffer.

Keep the deals coming woot! 23 more days!

on the picture that player only holds 8 files, and i think the current track is something by Blur.

He just wrote the words. The music came from someone else – Wilson Phillips.

Hey Woot staff & posters: re: LANGUAGE STUDIES –>

There’s usually one thing missing either from product descriptions (and usually from the player itself, granted) that’s great for language studies. My first mp3 player was an iRiver (256MB, >$200 when dinosaurs still ruled Nevada) that had a customizable playback jump that you could set so that the rewind button would skip back just a few seconds to repeat the last word or phrase. I looked in the user guide and didn’t see mention of it, so it’s probably not in this Phillips.
I know that the A-B repeat and the rewind buttons can be used for this, but it’s easy to accidentally skip back to the start of a 30-minute file that you’re 20-minutes into, which is a real pisser. If the Sansa e200 series I use now has this I haven’t found it, though I’m hoping to get lucky if Rockbox offers it (I’d appreciate any advice in that regard).
Ditto to the comments on direct file dragging and AAA batteries (at least if rechargables can be used)–those are definite pluses. No FM radio is a minus, an odd omission. I’ve owned five different mp3 player lines and all have this feature, so does the Nokia N800 I’m posting this from. For dedicated language studies 1GB is more than adequate, but that’s bottom-drawer these days for music, and the 2GB Sansas offered recently were just a few dollars more IIRC. Of course the Zunes are huge, but that’s a different class of player. I’d agree that other recent woots offered better value.
Ditto also on the file types, the direct USBs I’ve owned all allow doubling as a removable drive.

Probably not expandable memory, the Sansa e200 series takes microSD, I don’t know who else.

Good thread and Thanks!

Probably not. Most young folks (even into their twenties) want iPods as much for the name as anything else. It’s “the one” to have. Their young and foolish and will grow out of it but for now they need to be part of the cool kids.