Presto Dorothy™ Electric Rapid Cold Brewer

Presto Dorothy™ Electric Rapid Cold Brewer

This feels too good to be true.

Hi all… Anyone know whether the adapter is multi volt and able to support 220-240v?

I want one!!!
But it also needs to make Chai.

Oh, and scones

It is a French Press on Tornado. Insert Wizard of OZ tornado…

Though, like you, I wonder about flavor extraction is more promise or theory than actual results. Yes, there is a lot on reducing to eliminating heat yields smooth coffee. However, what does twirling do to the grounds? Yes, in theory, it yields more ground and water exposure, but does it modify flavor by exposing the ground too much? Is this product really just gimmick behind a curtain and no cold brew coffee wizard?

Wizard Of Oz Kick GIF

1 Like

$25 and good reviews for $50 at places like target. I bought two for myself and one for my brother.
Futurama Reaction GIF

1 Like

Why not just put a glass french press on top of a magnetic stirrer plate like what’s used in labs. A couple for $27 on mother ship.

1 Like

Do I have to make this in the basement or bathroom?

I think that’s more or less what this is. A blender would tend to shred the grounds and probably make coffee more bitter, removing the advantage of cold brewing. I like cold brewed coffee a lot. I was going to scoff at this (scoff, scoff. Someone gimme a scoff drop) but now I’m seriously considering one.

Big disadvantage to most people is you have to get the coffee specifically ground for a for a french press, very coarse. Normal store bought coffee is for drip machines mostly and far too finely ground for cold brew / french press.
(later edit)
(rummages Amazon reviews) Hm. Top helpful comment says there’s sediment. That could be ‘easily’ removed by pouring through a coffee filter, but an unnecessary extra step. A bit of sediment doesn’t bother me, anyway. More importantly, looking at the pictures, instead of a magnetic stirrer, it looks like there might be an enclosed blender blade which would explain the reviews complaining it’s hard to clean.

I think Ed3rd has the better idea; search Amazon for ‘magnetic stirrer’ and get a cheap Bodum french press. There’s at least one stirrer for 19$. And there’s one that mentions ‘milk tea coffee laboratory’, so there’s that. :stuck_out_tongue:

The magnetic stirrers claim a capacity of 3 liters, so there’s a larger batch, too.

1 Like

I’d like to get one for my wife, but I have no idea what coffee I would need to put in it.?.? Buy it at supermarket , online, local coffee place.?.? Thanks for any info.

For cold brew, at least the normal kind, you use a very coarse grind like a French Press grind.

I buy whole bean coffee and use an electric grinder at home and give the beans a quick burst one serving at a time.

Doesn’t really matter where you get it, but either get whole bean and grind coarse yourself with a grinder (they’re not too expensive) or buy coarse ground coffee. A supermarket typically won’t have it coarse enough, but you can specifically buy “cold brew” coffee grounds on Amazon from reputable companies, or order from somewhere like Happy Mug online and have them grind it coarse for you. A cafe near you that sells their own ground coffee would probably do the same for you.

4 Likes

A supermarket typically won’t have it coarse enough, but you can specifically buy “cold brew” coffee grounds on Amazon from reputable companies, or order from somewhere like Happy Mug online and have them grind it coarse for you. A cafe near you that sells their own ground coffee would probably do the same for you.

If you don’t have your own grinder, many supermarkets that sell whole bean coffee will have a big industrial grinder you can use to grind it to your desired size. It’s not quite as good as grinding it immediately before use at home, but it’s an easy and convenient option.

5 Likes

Four E’S Scientific 5 Inch LED Digital Hotplate Magnetic Stirrer Max Temp 280℃
Max 5L Stirring Capacity
50-1500RPM
with Temp Probe Sensor & Stir Bar 3YR Warranty

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HQ0JPOI

Obviously the best way to make cold brew here :wink:

1 Like

Looking at the manual on the Presto site, it looks like this uses regular grounds (i.e. a “drip coffee” grind): “Gradually (over about 30 seconds) add ⅔ cup medium grind coffee to the water. Medium grind
coffee is the standard grind for commercially available ground coffee.”
Traditional cold brew is made with coarse grounds to help filter it out later and to prevent the coffee from becoming too bitter after steeping for 12-24 hours, but this seems like it might be different due to the shorter timeframe, I’d guess?

2 Likes

Doesn’t look like there is a blade in the carafe.

1 Like

But but but — can you make cold brewed TEA with it? I’m sure it might depend on what type of tea, but lets just say I would use the same size and type of tea that comes in a regular tea bag.

1 Like

Because it’s really hard to get my MacGyver on until AFTER I’ve had coffee.