Read Any Good Books Lately?

So, everybody always asks “seen any good movies, lately?” but I prefer my entertainment presented in a more textual medium. So…

Read any good books lately?

I’ll start… One of my favorite authors is Dean Koontz. I read almost everything he writes. Lately, though, I’ve been more into humorous literature. I mean… we get enough reality as it is, amiright?

I’ve found this guy - Andrew Stanek - and I have been taken with his work! Ok… he did a couple of anti-Trump books, but I won’t hold it against him :cowboy_hat_face: His “And Then They All Died” series and his “You Are Dead” series are freaking hilarious! :rofl: His “Super Quick Mysteries” series is a throwback to my childhood and “Encyclopedia Brown.” I can’t wait to read some of his other comedic works.

Right now, I am reading the “Oddjobs” series by Heide Goody. It’s about this “Men in Black” style organization in the UK who have known about alien “gods” living amongst us biding their time until they bring about hell on Earth. It’s got some humor - albeit dry British humor :cowboy_hat_face: - and it’s pretty good. I’m going to miss them when the series ends :cry:

So… what about you? What are you reading right now?

5 Likes

I’m currently plodding through the old Tarzan books. Some of them are terrific, others are an absolute slog.

3 Likes

What about

Or

I know that they are children’s books,
But for some Wooters, it’s all they can handle!

1 Like

Reach Around Book Series

3 Likes

sigh… so many books, so little time!

Those sound great! I am going to have to give those a read next!

5 Likes

ooo… I almost forgot “24/7 Demon Mart” by DM Guay

3 Likes

Lee Child (Reacher) are favorites. Plenty to read by John Sanford. ((Virgil Flowers))

5 Likes

Sanford is a favorite. J.D. Robb is another.

4 Likes

Oh books! I love this idea!

3 Likes

I love Dresden! Have you read the Rivers of London series?

I just looked up Monster Hunter International on Amazon because it sounds fun. Turns out I own the first one on audible. I need to give it a listen.

3 Likes

Nope, but it is now on my list! Thanks!

2 Likes

Currently reading Neil Gaiman’s Graveyard Book.

3 Likes

Neil Gaiman books are entertaining!

3 Likes

That sounds interesting. I see on the Amazon page that he wrote “Coraline”. I didn’t know that that was a book, but I enjoyed the movie!

3 Likes

I recently “reread” Coraline. Decades ago (before the movie) I read the comic book illustrated by Dave McKean. I just read the novel before Graveyard Book which is also illustrated by Dave.
Met Neil at a comic show once and then again at a writer’s soeaking event in Cleveland. I don’t remember the other authors. Neil had just written the novelization of Stardust (comic ill. by Charles Vess) that was also a movie.

4 Likes

I’m rereading Jenny Lawson’s latest book: Broken in the best possible way. Short humorous stories each chapter dealing with her odd life. She does discuss mental health and issues corresponding to it (previous book she refers to self cutting) yet not too many triggering topics imho. Her blog is great and been a fan for years.

3 Likes

Sounds a little too heavy for me!

2 Likes

Hhmmm not too heavy. Perhaps check her blog, The Bloggess first. I gave explanation in case people don’t want to hear about someone going through cranial electrotherapy (1 chapter) or her panic attacks where she stay in her room, draws and then laughs at her silly pets doing goofy things. It’s all really humor.

3 Likes

Reminds me of “Go Ask Ogre: Letters from a Deathrock Cutter” by Jolene Siana. Ogre is the vocalist for Skinny Puppy. Jolene was a teen fan who wrote letters to him. He never wrote back, but she continued sending them. “At a concert, Ogre confided to Jolene that he has saved all her letters. Nine years later, a box from Ogre arrives at Jolene’s door. Re-examining the documents, she realizes that writing these letters had saved her life.” She went on to publish these one sided letters.
Many have found that reading this very cathartic. But i couldn’t really relate other than having been to many of the same concerts she attended.

1 Like

Hey! You! Yeah… you. The one who recommended this series. May I ask what I ever did to you to make you dislike me so much? I mean… I consider myself [somewhat] intelligent, but…

Just in case you’ve forgotten, this current is carrying fifteen amps at six hundred volts, and the baseboard is insulated and oriented correctly along a north-south magnetic axis. The geometry we’re using for this run is a modified Minkowski space that we can derive by setting pi to four; there’s no fractal dimension involved, but things are complicated slightly because the space to which we’re mapping this diagram has a luminiferous aether.

I had to use a syringe on it, but next on the checklist is gel-diffusion electrophoresis using flocculated hemoglobin agglutinates pending in-ovo polymerisation of the rotor elements - so how did your pet luser autodarwinate?

bad girls club wtf GIF

:cowboy_hat_face:

1 Like