Refurbish this, Woot!

That answered all of my questions about refurbs. Thank you very much Big D - Woot Staff!

BigD explain this. Not to long ago I bought a refurbished Roomba 530 from Woot that came with a 90 day manufacture warranty. It was DOA on arrival. I called the manufacturer since Woot suggest we do that first and was told by them that Woot is not a certified seller of their products therefore they will not honor the warranty. It was void. There was nothing they could do. Imagine my shock. Now I have to ask for a supervisor and so on. The call that never ends and goes no where. Finally I decide to take it apart and noticed there was a part that was not attached properly (I guess when refurbished). After putting it back together I was shocked when I pushed the on button and off it went. Though it hasn’t stopped me completely I have to say you have lost my trust. Though it says under warranty I’m finding out that’s not always the case. So can you explain this warranty thing when it comes to items you are not a certified seller of?

1 Like

Excellent, detailed response. Thanks for the same. Unfortunately does not really help me make a purchase decision as i would happily by a repack etc but not a used return.Would be great if you guys could say a bit more than just “refurbished”… even a “customer return” or a “manuf repack” will also help…& will be much more transparent
thanks

In my experience, refurbished laptops almost always have one or more of the following problems so I don’t buy them anymore:

1. Stuck pixel (Acer/Gateway, HP).

2. Dark/blurry spot on screen (HP, Dell).

3. Intermittent freeze-ups (Acer/Gateway).

AWESOME question. I just now got off the phone with the Onkyo service department asking the EXACT question. Here’s the deal from Onkyo… They consider refurb/reconditioned the same thing. It represents any product of theirs that was: open box only (it has to be refurbed/conditioned to ensure nothing is wrong); open box, used for a week…same thing; box damaged in shipping to store/customer…same thing; item returned for repair, customer changed mind and bought something else thus leaving the broken model with them to fix/refurb/condition and resell as a refurb unit. Per Onkyo, ALL these items must be returned to Onkyo for this refurb/recert. The check out the unit from a-z to make sure all is working correctly. Buying a brand new unit has 2 yr warranty, a refurb from THEIR SITE has a 1 year warranty ($40 for extra year). I did not ask the rep ‘if I buy an Onkyo from Woot, what type warranty comes with that’ because I didn’t want to come right out and be ballzie like that’, so it would BE GREAT to actually know that answer from the Woot folks themselves. Hope this helps. I’m curious if the same applies to Yamaha/Sony etc as well.

Buy new online. Buy refurb/reconditioned from a brick-and-mortar (or online if there’s a physical store and breathing humans you can deal with/yell at). Just a suggestion.

DON’T BUY FROM CYBERPOWERPC or WOOT!!!
I’m having MASSIVE problems with a product i purchased from them.

Order Date:May 16, 2015
Order Number:52535667
$974.99
GX1502 Intel i7 6-Core, R9-270 2GB Desktop
Sold by Woot

This computer showed up at my door brand new and broken. I contacted Cyberpowerpc and they sent a new side panel (no biggie). A month or two later the computer just quits working completely. I PAY to have it sent back ($76). They tell me 5 or 6 of the major components are broken. I’m not happy…They claimed that the pc had issues with the RAM, MOTHERBOARD, VIDEO CARD, HARD DRIVE and PROCESSOR (which seems virtually impossible).

They take about three weeks to “fix it”, but when it’s shipped back to me I open the box to find out that it’s literally smashed into pieces. I say again that this is me receiving it after their repairs. The front face plate is smashed in several places resulted in huge gaping cracks. The top portion of the faceplate isn’t sealed with the tower itself. One of the legs has broken off. The front vent is smashed in. The side panel has an 8 inch crack in it. The back panel of the computer doesn’t line up with the ports, meaning it’s impossible to actually plug in everything you’ll need (monitor connections, usb ports, internet jacks, etc). With it being in such horrible condition I didn’t even plug the darn thing in to see if they addressed any of the initial problems.

I contact them and UPS. UPS picks it back up and sends it to cyberpowerpc. At this point i have been screaming for a refund for some time. All they keep saying is that I’ll have to get a refund from Woot.com because I actually paid Woot, but Woot has failed to respond to my emails and they don’t seem to put a phone number on their support page (convenient for them). Woot has a 30 day refund policy, I suppose you’re just screwed from day 31 on. I called and talked to someone several times at cyberpowerpc, but it’s been pointless. They couldn’t care less. A week ago I talked to a lady there at length and she said she’d send it to her supervisor and I’d hear back by the end of the day. A week later I called back and not only have they not called me back they haven’t even touched my computer. It’s just been sitting there the entire time.

I’ve discussed it with my lawyer and we’ll be sending Woot and Cyberpowerpc paperwork. We’re also contacting the Better Business Bureau to see if they can help. Sorry to throw a downer of a rant out to the world, but everyone should know how horrible this has been. I don’t want any of you guys to have to go through something like this. It’s ridiculous.

The computer has been broken and out of my possession far longer than I’ve even had a chance to use it. It was easily the worst purchase decision of my life.

I have photos of all the damage, so hopefully that will help. Best wishes to all of you out there!

Thinking of auto parts: Rebuilt means fixing what is broken. Re-manufactured means all wear parts replace whether broken/worn-out or not.

Refurbished leans in my perception toward rebuilt. Factory refurbished would lean toward Rebuilt: new battery, new screen if broken/delaminated.

Any help better help defining what refurbished vs factory refurbished means?

Besides the few (cough, cough) “minor” problems with the transaction… and added stress…

**WHAT ENDED UP HAPPENING?

DID WOOT FINALLY STEP IN?

SEEMS LIKE UPS /shipper was responsible for breakage…**

Barring that you should be able to do a CHARGE BACK thru your credit card company…

Yes, he returned the item and got a full refund about 18 months ago.

Nope not clear at all. What is the difference between factory reconditioned, refurbished and factory recertified? Please. Which are actually performed by the manufacturer and which are junk sent to third party refurbishers?

Wow, you resurected an old thread.

Here’s our guide: