Roger Roessler’s R2 Wine Co. Red - 4 Pack

Hello Everyone,

I figured it was about time I jumped on the Woot between goings-on in the cellar.

First of all, while I think it’s been addressed and settled, I wanted to let you know that both the Black Pine and the Rhapsody being offered here are 2009s.

The 2008 Black Pine was the wine that we had treated for smoke taint, so that’s not an issue for the 2009. The higher new oak percentage in the profile does give it a bit of a nice toast/smokiness, so it’s kind of a fun transition from the 2008, but I’m glad there was no smoke taint to deal with.

In general, I’d say that the 2009 Black Pine is lusher, more fruit forward, and more accessible right out of the gate than the 2008 was/is. I’d also say that it doesn’t need as long to open up, and doesn’t need as much cellaring, but it’s still got a good amount of structure to support the fruit.

The 2008 Black Pine had a lot of Anderson Valley in it (given the smoke-taint issues up there) but also a good amount of Sonoma Coast, some Carneros, some Russian River… it was really a question of getting the right pieces together to make a cool blend from a variety of regions.

The same goes for the 2009, but this time, the blend we really enjoyed was pretty much a 50/50 split between Sonoma Coast and Sta. Rita Hills. Interestingly, I think some of the dark character that I often get fronm Sta. Rita helped to fill out the dark character that had come from the Anderson valley fruit the year before. Not that Sta. Rita and Anderson Valley aren’t VERY different regions with VERY different terroirs, but there can be a “darkness” to each of them and I think that plays well as a similar thread between the 2 wines.

In any case, the 2009 Black Pine is tasting great right now (at least it was last night when my wife and I split a bottle), so I hope you enjoy!

The Rhapsody is a great Rhone blend - our red answer to the Vin Blancs offered a couple weeks ago. It is also a lush wine, with some round, dark fruit qualities that I really like. At the bottom of the glass, I actually get a nose of blueberry, almost blueberry pie. The oak referenced in one of the notes above is actually probably structure and spice from the Carrignane, Syrah, & Mourvedre, in that there was no new oak on the blend. It is really fun to work with Grenache, and it’s actually funny how similar it is to Pinot Noir from the fermentation perspective (totally different flavor profile, though!). The fermentation tracks pretty much the same, you need a good cold soak to get any type of color out of the skins (even moreso than Pinot), and it runs the risk of reduction. But while that may sound like a pain at harvest, I guess I’m so used to Pinot that it didn’t seem out of the ordinary.

Of course even small quantities of the other varietals involved here can make a big difference to the color, structure, and flavors, and with the Rhapsody, we wanted to get our complexity a la Rhone through varietal combinations. On the Black Pine, we went with complexity through a blend of regions (Pinot is better left as Pinot, I think) in the style of the Roessler Bluejay or La Brisa, but with a broader toy chest available since we’re not calling it by an AVA.

Finally, and more in response to the post I replied to, Roessler was indeed bought up by Hall, and R2 is Roger and Richard Roessler’s new project. They are still involved with Roessler, but wanted to keep playing on their own as well.

So, that’s my long start-off post for now, and I’ll keep checking in to answer any questions that come up.

Happy Wooting!

Scott Shapley

Who is this Scott Shapley dude and how does he know so much about these wines?

edit: ah. I hear in the hidden audio clip at the top of this page, he’s “with R2 winery”. I’m still curious, since we got no introduction.

Oops! Sorry about that. I’m the winemaker. I was winemaker for Roessler as well from 2006 through the sale to Hall last year, and helped them with the transition through the end of the year.

At any rate, that explains why I know so much about the wines from both labels! :slight_smile:

Sorry for the initial confusion.

Scott

Hey Scott, thanks for the participation.

I’m a HUGE sucker for Grenache, particularly from Priorat in Spain.

Can you compare/contrast/provide additional details on the Rhapsody? Very curious…

Thanks!

Tyger: want to split?

I thought they hit it on the head with the pretty wild strawberry on the nose. It also shows bright red fruit in the mid palate along with the minerality and earthiness. Love the licorice comment and it definitely has a chewy side to it more reminiscent of the old world Rhone style. I showed the wine the past two weeks in Florida and Mississippi, and the Rhapsody was a crowd pleaser. Hope the Woot World gives it a try… its a lovely wine with complexity and length that would be hard to find at the price. As always, a good food wine which is one of our main goals with the wines as it was with our Pinots at Roessler.

that’s correct. Sorry if its a bit confusing. Hall was looking for a Pinot/Chard producer last year and we felt it was a good match for us. My brother Richard and I are still involved in the Roessler brand and I continue to represent the wines around the country. Richard still helps out in the tasting room on the square, but you’ll also see him over at our new location which is just south of the square at 654 Broadway. Scott Shapley continued on as our winemaker in 2010, but will be moving on in 2011. Byron Kosuge will be making the R2 wines for us this year and we’re excited to be working with him. We’re sorry to see Scott leave the family, but have enjoyed working with him and loved the wines that were made by him. The new Rhone style wines are very exciting and as always, the Black Pine Pinot will continue our passion for pinot. The fruit is sourced from Anderson Valley, Sonoma Coast and Sta Rita Hills for it, and at the price I feel its a great value. Amazing how sometimes people can judge wine by the price… maybe we should be charging more. The Rhone varietals are all from the Central Coast and more specifically Santa Barbara County, once again proving our committment to quality.
At any rate, for those of you who’ve tried our wines in the past, I highly recommend you giving it a try. This is our opportunity to showcase the wines for the Woot nation and we appreciate it.

Not only have enjoyed your wines, but yours are auto-buys for me. In for three and really looking forward to them! Thanks!

Edit: Besides, as a fellow “Roger R.”, I couldn’t pass these up!

Hi Scott- I’m a bit late to the party today, but was wondering if you had the pH and TA information for these wines. Thanks!

Welcome to the party - it’s never too late (well, maybe after the offer is closed).

In any case, the Rhapsody is at pH 3.73 and TA of 6.09, which I think is nicely in balance with the fruit. I don’t have the Black Pine notes on me right now (sorry about that) but I think it’s in the 3.6ish pH range and 6.5ish TA range. I know that sounds like I’m just spitting out “good” numbers, but I think it was in that range. It certainly has a good acid profile on the palate, but isn’t searingly acidic. The pH may be higher than that, but I don’t remamber it being oddly high.

Generally, I like to have a good level of acidity in my wines, both for better food pairing and because I like fresher, more vibrant flavors, but I also really like to look for balance, and depending on the vintage, I may have a higher or lower acidity in a given wine.

Hope that helps!

Scott

Ah, Garnacha!

Hmmm… I hesitate to compare my wines too strongly to old world wines, in that as much as I like them (Priorat, Chateau-Neuf, Cote du Rhone), I think we’re making wines in the new world, and many comparisons end up a little off the mark.

I like to pick a bit earlier than some, as long as I can get the Grenache ripe, and I prefer to stay away from getting alcohols that are too high (although I realize a lot of folks will consider anything in the +14% range high). But as always, it’s about balance and expressing what the fruit has to offer.

I’d say our Rhapsody packs a great, fruit-forward punch - not overripe fruit, but good rich fruit depth - and it’s got enough structure to keep it bright and pleasantly lifted.

Santa Ynez is a great region for these Rhone varietals, with a good balance of heat and some bits of the cooling coastal influence, but it’s certainly warmer than Sta. Rita Hills, and you can tell you’re not in Pinot country anymore. I think it really has come into it’s own as probably the best region for Rhone varietals in California.

Sorry if that was a little Hemmey-and-Hawey, but I hope I gave you at least some insight into what we’re up to with the Grenache blend.

More soon,

Scott

I would for the GSM but I am not really a Pinot drinker anymore. Sooo if you want the pinot I will take the other??

Awesome… thanks Rogee’ Hope to see you at the tasting room in Sonoma one day!

Fail! I’m interested in the GSM, too. Addict minds think alike? :tongue:

Looks like a pass x2. There will always be more.:happy:

I was pleasantly surprised by the original Black Pine, plus I’m a sucker for a good GSM, so I’m in for one here. Really curious about the new Black Pine blend.

Thank you for the reply! I realize that it’s an unfair question, but I like to see how people answer vague/hard questions like that. :slight_smile:

Can you tell me what types of flavors are in the wine? Black/white pepper? Tobacco? Mocha?

Got 2 shipments from the woot off hung up at Fedex due to the hurricane :frowning:

I plan to visit my son in the Bay Area in the fall or a bit later and would love to pay a visit. I’m working on my wineries-to-visit list and had Roessler pencilled in, but can do R2, instead (or in addition to). Looking forward.

Hi Scott:

I am a big fan of Santa Rita Hills Pinots and was wondering if your Pinot has some of that “earthiness” I enjoy in Foley, Ken Brown, and Lincourt Pinots. Also, is there some heat in the back end? Please advise. Thanks!

http://wine.woot.com/images/labrat.jpg

Due to Wine club membership, I have a bottle of R2 Black Pine 2009 which I have just opened.
Don’t expect it to be up to the high quality of the Roessler single vineyard releases which I love.
That having been said, I like this better than the Black Pine 2008 vintage. Sour cherry dominates the mid-palate, not really earthiness, nor is short finish hot. Pairs very well with this Point Reyes farmhouse cheddar.