Shun Elite 8 Piece Cherry Block Set

In for 3x

If you’re going to buy these, be sure that when you clean them off you use a softer brush or non-abrasive sponge. Using an SOS pad, or something similar, will scuff these after a time.

Product Website

[Mod Thunderthighs: Or This even ]

The round handles don’t seem very ergonomic. Has anyone that has used these for a long period of time, tell me what they think?

I have some Shun Pro knives I bought from Woot, which have rounded handles. They feel a bit different, but they’re very comfortable.

I suppose one factor might be how tightly do you grasp your knives. I think a rounded handle is better for a tighter grip.

These are not really round handles. These are D handles, some of the best out there.

Shun Elite Santoku Knife Review

Shun Elite Knives Review

Video: Elite Shun Knife Review

Video: Bread Knife Demo

oh how i wish i had the money. i have the 4.5" Elite knife and it is the most amazing thing ever.

::sigh::

I’m sorry to correct you, but the Elite are ambidextrous and do not have D-handles. These are oval-shaped, slightly thicker just above the middle and tapering back out toward the end while back in toward the bolster.

This was my review of the Shun Pro knives I bought in April:

I love my Shun knife - I have the utility knife - it’s very well balanced and extremely sharp. The balance is important because it’s not only comfortable to use, but also safer for a clumsy cook like me. It’s a record that I have yet to cut myself with my Shun knife - which I can’t say of any of my other, non-Shun blades.

I’m not big on knife sets, though, especially ones with such an odd combination of knives like this one. Where’s the big chef’s knife (8" or 10"), the core of cookery? Oh, they only have a 4 1/2" chef’s knife? Um, at half the size of a standard chef’s knife, I don’t see how it can even go by the same name. I have no idea how a knife in that shape but this size would be useful.

I do really like the cherry block, though…

For many people, the smaller knives are collectively more useful than a large chef’s knife, whose tasks can mostly be performed by the santoku. Realize also that multiple blades means prolonged life of the set. It makes sense to have additional blades for sanitation and convenience as well, rather than clean the blade between tasks. Every knife has its own slight advantage, despite that many of the same tasks can be performed by different blades; with experience you shall find yourself reaching for the best blade for the task, and again, while prolonging the life–and sharpness–of the set. As for the four-inch chef’s, use it anywhere you wouldn’t use the entire length of a full-sized chef’s; you’d be surprised at what it can do for much less than the cost of second full-sized knife–not to say that keeping duplicates is unheard of!

Let me say finally that I’ve used the minimalist approach of chef’s, bread, utility, and paring. It works fine, keeps things simple, and is inexpensive–especially if you want high quality knives but cannot afford a complete set. Buy what you are comfortable affording and you’ll be sure to use it.

I’m not big on knife sets, either, and I won’t be getting this one, but this collection is more useful than most. Other than the tiny chef’s knife and the U2, these are all knives that could be useful.

The santoku is a bit larger than most, which is a good thing, and the bread knife is shorter than I prefer, but at least they are knives one will use.

I recently bought a JA Henckels four star, 8 piece knife set for about 1/4 the price of this set. Is it a matter of disposable income, or is there really that much difference in the quality of knives.

pretty much useless. A 4.5" chef knife is just too short for a chef knife and too fat to use as a paring knife. 2 serrated utilty knives are worse than useless, good luck sharpening them. You’d be better off buying an 8" chef , a paring knife and a cheaper (wustoff or henkels) bread knife.

I think this has been answered but I will throw my two cents in…

I got a Chef Knife, paring knife, and serrated knife for X-mas last year. I love my Shun knives I shopped for weeks to try to find the best one using them all in the stores and settled on shun ELITE (the other shuns felt odd in my hands).

Someone will only get my Shuns when I am dead and then only if they are able to pry my rigamortis fingers off of them.

Hell to the yes!

I found the Henckels to be unweildy and not to cut very well. The Shuns sliced through everything like warm butter and with an inexpensive ($14) ceramic honing rod around I am able to keep my Shuns razor sharp at all times.

I have had the Shun Elites for a year now.

Chef Knife
serrated utility (in this set)
paring knife (in this set)

I have been wanting more but after using the ones I have for a year I find I don’t have a use for other blades. But I am lusting after this set!

“Send knives back to Kai USA facility in Portland, Oregon. They can restore the factory edge to your blade for the life of the knife, at no cost to you aside from mailing the knife to them”

Since they sharpen them for you at no additional cost, it doesn’t seem to be that hard.