SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime (3 Tuners)

SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime (3 Tuners)
Price: $99.99
Shipping Options: $5 Standard* or $13 Two-Day or *$18 One-Day
Condition: New

Comparison Links:
[Google Products](SiliconDust - Google Shopping HDHomeRun Prime (3 Tuners)) - [Amazon](http://www.amazon.com/s/?field-keywords=SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime (3 Tuners)) - [Previous Woot Sales](Google HDHomeRun Prime (3 Tuners))

[Preview 1][Preview 2]
http://d3gqasl9vmjfd8.cloudfront.net/76cb0ce1-dd36-46af-ad29-32326eae194b.jpg

SiliconDust HDHomeRun 3Tuner Network TV Tuner
Price: $99.99
Shipping Options: $5 Standard OR $13 Two-Day OR $18 One-Day
Shipping Estimates: Ships in 1-2 business days (Wednesday, Dec 11 and Thursday, December 12)
Condition: New

[http://www.wootstalker.com/images/buy.png

Buy It](SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime (3 Tuners)) [http://www.wootstalker.com/images/amazon.png

Search Amazon](http://www.amazon.com/s/?field-keywords=SiliconDust HDHomeRun 3Tuner Network TV Tuner) [http://www.wootstalker.com/images/google.png

Search Google](SiliconDust - Google Shopping HDHomeRun 3Tuner Network TV Tuner)

Previous Similar Sales (May not be exact model)
12/2/2013 - $99.99 (Woot-off) - 3 comment(s)
12/2/2013 - $99.99 (Woot-off) - 3 comment(s)
11/19/2013 - $99.99 - 18 comment(s)

Tons of comments from the Previous Sale
Read all about it at the Product Page
Read some reviews over at NewEgg

Brief overview over at cnet.com
[youtube=6ug5jx6angI][/youtube]

Stupid question here. Is a cable card required to use this thing? can’t I just connect my cable to it and watch live TV on my tablet? does this do QAM?

Essentially yes. Most cable companies now encrypt even the basic channels, so you need a cable card to decrypt them.

My cable company does not encrypt basic channels ( I have several TVs in the house with no cable box, they all get the hd versions on abc nbc and CBS too). So my original question remains…will the function without the cable card?

If your basic channels are not encrypted, then no you don’t need the card.

I own this unit and I’m very pleased with it’s performance.
It does see clear QAM channels, and can be used without a cable card. (but I don’t recommend it for that)
The setup procedure is a little slow and somewhat difficult, but after a few attempts you’ll have it up and running.
The picture quality over my home’s net is very good, even on WiFi.

About a year ago I bought the: Hauppauge WinTV DCR-2650 Dual Tuner Cable Card TV Tuner
to essentially do the same thing. You do need a cable card. At the time I had Time Warner and it worked fine. I moved and changed services and for three months had charter cable come out and try to get it to work on their system. For their configuration you needed a “tuning adapter” - Make a long story short could not get it to work- Anybody want to buy it cheap? It depends on the cable company and their varied configurations- Now that charter is buying or trying to buy time warner who knows with those two-

Not Windows 8 compatible?

Mine works w w8 pro, but you have to buy wmc as separate add on. Not sure about other versions of w8

Found this on their forums:

"The Prime (HDHR3-CC): Only Digital Cable (ClearQAM) and Cablecard (OCUR/EncryptedQAM).

The Dual (HDHR3-US): Only Digital Cable (ClearQAM) and Digital Antenna (ATSC).

none of the SiliconDust devices can do Analog Antenna or Analog Cable (NTSC)."

You DO NOT need a cable card unless you want to receive your cable company’s encrypted programming. It will receive OTA (Over The Air via antenna) digital signals as well. So, you can tune into HD programming being broadcast OTA.

It works great with a cable card for any and all cable channels. I use mine with Verizon FiOS.

The great thing about this tuner is that it doesn’t plug into your PC. It’s not attached to your PC in any way. It’s a stand-alone NETWORK tuner. You connect to it using the supplied software and your network.

It also works wonderfully with Windows Media Center, XBMC and others. Yes, it works fine with Windows 8 as well because I’ve used it with Windows 7 and Windows 8.

I’ve not tried it with Linux yet.

Best tuner for the money because it’s stand-alone sitting on your network allowing anybody with a PC, laptop, etc. to connect to it and watch TV.

I get FiOS basic service for $15/mo plus their cable card for $5/month and I get everything I need in full HD with surround sound. No more DVR fees or HD Set Top Box fees monthly. I don’t currently use it for OTA reception.

Unfortunately this guy doesn’t know what he’s talking about or the product used to be called CableCard and this is an old review. It’s the HDHomeRun Prime CableCard tuner. It’s a network digital TV Tuner that accepts a cable card. Specifically a MCARD to tune multiple encrypted channels.

He also says it only accepts a cable signal when it also will receive DIGITIAL Over The Air (OTA) signals via antenna. It also doesn’t require a cable card for open QAM channels (unencrypted).

Other than those errors he’s basically right except it doesn’t include DVR software. You have to use XBMC, Windows Media Center or something similar to do that.

I bought one of these from the mothership Amazon a few weeks ago. Setup on my end not that bad, the problem is with the cable company. I knew to get m card and tuning adapter so those were in place.

I was able to see clear QAM channels both in the lower numbers and in the upper cable set top box realm. But I couldn’t see my subscribed channels like TNT and A&E. They simply don’t know how to subscribe these channels.

Most people will have to get a truck roll ( be sure to ask for tech with cablecard experience) but here in central FL with Brighthouse if you have problems contact Bhntech(Gary) in the dslreports web site. If you can see clear QAM basic channels in both lower channels and in the upper channel numbers where cable box can Tune but cannot see the subscribed standard channels ( like Tnt, espn, etc) then its problem on cable company side and they need to get those subscribed channels attached to your tuning adapter

Most cable company techs will swap out the TAs and M cards but as one tech mentioned there is probably truckloads of perfectly good TAs and cards thrashed because they thought they were bad… if you can see a ton of clear qam channels then most likely it is the cable company unable to pair subscribed channels to the TA

After a few attempts over the phone with their phone support and not getting my subscribed channels I contacted my Brighthouse Rep in the Dslreports Brighthouse website forum and it took about a long day but Bhntech there was able to get it working (if you have bright house any where in the country I believe they can help you there)

So setup is challenging, but I feel it is the cable companies not able to get cablecard technology to integrate these devices.

Once setup I will tell you its Golden

I’ve had this product for about a year now and it works as it’s supposed to. I have three windows 7 media center PC’s that connect to a 5Ghz wireless network at full speed ( I have two access points giving full coverage to the house. These access points 802.1Q tag traffic for this network). I use a separate VLAN that makes sure ONLY this media traffic exists. I use a Cisco 3750X switch with provides line rate 1Gbe per port. I use enterprise grade access points.

Quality is the same as it was when I used the cable company’s cable boxes. HD looks fantastic and non-HD are fine as well. I am a time warner customer in Wisconsin so I had to get an M cable card (took 3 months of calling various numbers to finally get someone who knew what they were doing and sent me the correct card) and a tuning adapter. The tuning adapter plugs in front of the HD Homerun box and connects with USB to the HD Homerun box.

High level, I have to reboot the HD Homerun about once every week. It takes 2-3 minutes and comes back happy as can be. I have to reboot the Media center PC’s about once every 2-3 weeks and I have to reboot the Tuning Adapter about once a month. The Tuning adapter is a BEAST. It takes 1-2 days to get back to a functional level. During this time you can’t watch stations that are “switched”. For instance ESPN is constantly on frequency but Food network is not. Without the tuning adapter you’ll never get Food and when you reboot the tuning adapter you won’t get Food or those channels until it successfully reboots.

I had all of the equipment already present in my network, so I only spent money on the HD Home Run box. The M card costs $1.50 a month and the tuning adapter is free. The three PC’s were all PC’s to be thrown away from work (Core i3 or i5’s with 4 GB of memory). I save $65 a month on my cable bill now as I only pay for service itself without ANY boxes in the house. I’m very happy with the purchase.

If you buy it, make sure to go use the BETA drivers as they are a WORLD of difference better than the ones that come prepackaged with the device.

If I VPN back to my home network, could I stream this over 4G LTE?

I really want to get one of these. But having to buy Windows Media Center kills the deal for me. This post says it’s required if you want to watch / record the copy protected channel and if you have Time Warner cable, all channels are marked copy-protected. Can anyone offer a free solution around this? Thanks.