Sony HDRCX240/L Video Camera

Sony HDRCX240/L Video Camera

1 Like

What does this record and save video to? Built in memory, SD card?

2 Likes

“Memory Stick Micro™ (Mark 2), Micro SD/SDHC/SDXC Memory Card (Class 4 or Higher)”

It’s not listed on Woot, but it’s in the full specs that Woot linked to.

1 Like

Description says “black” but appears dark blue…

2 Likes

$189 at Walmart with free shipping and full 1 year Sony warranty:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sony-HDR-CX240-L-Blue-HD-Camcorder-with-27x-Optical-Zoom-2-7-LCD-and-SteadyShot-Image-Stabilization/35524398

5 Likes

This is a weird dinosaur. They’ve been making these (almost) exact handy cams for like 20+ years now. Who is this for?

3 Likes

#wootafterdark

2 Likes

Looks like Walmart is actually sold out.

1 Like

Looks less stupid than people standing around with their Jim or Karen phones videotaping every disgruntled customer in a Burger King who’s ranting because they didn’t hold the pickle and the lettuce. But they do have a use. :wink: I have a JVC version of this type of camera. Trust me, they still have a use and take way better video then my go pro.

2 Likes

I have a saying about tech: “Things get really, really good just before they become obsolete.”
This is a really, really good little video camera.

7 Likes

It’s the lenses on these that keep them relevant. 27x optical beats any phone or action camera.

1 Like

you’re sooo bad, lol

2 Likes

Bingo. This is a fantastic entry-level camcorder, especially with the optical zoom and with the scene modes (sunset recording, high speed for sports). Consumer camcorders are a LOT more comfortable to hold for a long period of time than a mirrorless or DSLR with a 400mm telescoping lens.

As far as who still needs this? Anyone who needs to record at some distance. I see them used by lots of parents who are making highlight reels of their kids’ sports or other activities. They’re great for recording football, hockey, baseball/softball, soccer, cheerleading/dance, wrestling, basketball, etc. from a high point in the bleachers. They aren’t great for stage plays or band performances though–no external mic jack. The Canon R800 is a better option if sound is needed. But the video from the Sony looks a little better and brighter (even at the same resolution).

Thank you all, your comments sold me on this Sony camera.

Going camping at 5 A.M. so I got the last one tonight at Walmart.

2 Likes

I actually have one of these for employees to use as a backup to a canon camcorder with double the optical zoom. It’s a great little camera for the cost.

I know of several private investigators that use this as their primary camera.

2 Likes

I provide camcorder (and other video) training to investigators. This is a great secondary camera for that kind of work.

The Canon camcorders have better night performance and an external audio jack, but the Sony does shoot well from longer distances in daytime.

1 Like

I tried again just now (22:10 PT), and it’s available both by shipping and by pickup at the local Supercenter.

Optional 2-year extended coverage: $16

OOS from my 7 “closest” stores (with the farthest being 18 miles away).

It’s not letting me do pickup, shipping, or delivery.

Just as an fyi, mine has been abused for 3 years and I got it used from a couple that bought it to record their daughter’s graduation and band concerts. I don’t know of anyone complaining about having to fix or warranty return.

My last comment… you can buy three extra batteries and a three channel charger for this camera for $20 on Amazon.