3 2010 Pinot Grigio
3 2010 Riesling
CT links above

Winery website

Facebook
Twitter

Previous offer:
5/24/11

Michigan juice, great price, something new to me, heck yeah, just north of where I grew up.

Has anyone tried either of these out? I’m a big fan of Riesling style wine so I’m attempted to pull the trigger on this. And Pinot Grigio has always been quite tasty to me as well.

Great job on being the first sucker. :slight_smile:

Some dry whites. Hopefully todays wines will have a better showing than yesterday’s. 56 woots was pretty weak, but possibly deserved.

Mmmmm…looks very tasty…today is like a woot off in slow motion !

6 bottles for 49.99 seems to be an excellent deal. Anyone actually familiar with this particular wine? I can’t hardly imagine a Riesling or Pinot Grigio I don’t like. 6 bottles (3 of each) is a lot to have around if I won’t drink it.

Courtesy of CJ:

So join or create a WW Gathering!!

I feel the same way, I’ll probably order this and if the first bottle is enough then I can always throw a bow on the extras and give them as gifts.

Michigan, hell yeah!

St. Julian is the oldest and one of the largest wineries in Michigan. Unlike their previous Woot last year, these are their regular bottlings, not the more premium-level “Braganini Reserve” line.

Lake Michigan Shore appellation is in the southwest corner of the state, just north of Indiana and reasonably close to the water. 2010 was an excellent vintage here, as we had a long, warm summer and everything ripened nicely.

Riesling and PG tend to be our most successful white grapes, and folks elsewhere generally find that Michigan whites have a pretty zippy acidity compared to those from the west coast. I taste a lot of local PG, and usually find Oregon’s to be fuller-bodied and flabbier compared to most of them.
Our Riesling is a lot like the stuff that’s made in New York’s Finger Lakes.

I haven’t tried these St. Julian wines from this vintage, but it’s worth keeping in mind that they’re entry-level price point for Michigan vinifera, around ten bucks plus in the local supermarket. Past experience with the brand would say not to expect a lot of concentration or complexity. But they’re perfectly fine quaffers for the warmer weather coming up, and the acidity makes them decent food wines.

Today’s quiz is taken as a challenge. IT’S ON, WOOT! I’ll add a marshmallow port to my list for this season’s ferment.

St. J’s winery is right down the street from my house (I’m in Kalamazoo) and I’m a big fan of their Riesling.

If anything its worth a shot to try something new. Before I moved to michigan I was totally unaware that we were a big wine state, but apparently the proximity of the lake and the hills make it prime wine country (similar to France in climate and character).

If you’re ever in the area, drop by our wineries! :slight_smile:

Can’t really go wrong with Michigan Riesling, and PG makes a good showing as well. At this price point, stock up for summer!

Hey all,
This is Nancie, St. Julian’s winemaker! Both of these wines are Gold medal winners in several international wine competitions. Being located in a cool-climate, Pinot gris and Riesling are perfect grapes in our growing region. Check out the recording to hear a bit more about each wine.

I’ll be on periodically throughout the day to answer any questions!

On a side note, 3 Master Sommeliers: Ron Edwards, Kathy Morgan, and Matthew Citriglia thought this Pinot grigio was one of the best they had ever tasted - requesting that some be sent to them for their personal cellar.

Cheers!

Before you moved to Michigan did you know all of their great college football and basketball players came from O-H-I-O!!! Go Bucks!!!

I can’t tell anyone I bought Blue and Gold wine. I’ll use a magic marker to scratch out MI and add NY.

Ok, now to be serious…MI is a great place, great people! Detroit Lions and Tigers will probably be beating up the Browns and Indians for years to come. But the rivalries are great for the economies of both states, especially since the politicians have screwed everything up in this great country!!

Now for the wine…looking for a little summer white so I can cook up all of the Lake Erie perch and walleye I have in the freezer.

Have a great day everyone and enjoy the warming weather. The boat is coming out of storage Saturday. Better get ready to open up my wallet. Yikes, it’s also tax week!

Where’s Mschauber?

These wines are both spectacular. I live in Michigan and have actually been to the winery in Paw Paw a few times. The Riesling is particularly tasty and refreshing.

I need more wine-drinking friends! My wine “cellar” is at capacity and I’m not allowed to buy any more until there’s room again. I really want to get this - it’s a deal and it looks like a great wine for spring and summer and I’m curious about Michigan wine.

Would you say the reisling is sweet? Im not keen on sweet wines. Thanks

Gotta support the home state winery - and support woot for supporting the home state winery. Don’t have much PG or Riesling in stock. Sounds like the PG is pretty good.

Thanks for promoting Michigan wines!