OK, I just got the Sound Brick today. Initial impression is very good. It won’t replace a full blown stereo, but puts out pretty good sound. Bass is a little lite, which is to be expected in such a small unit.
I took a gamble buying this without any reviews to go on. I would say I am pleased with the quality and sound for the $33 it cost on woot. pairing was easy and range on BT is at least 25 feet from my cell phone. I have been listening to it for about 45 minutes now. Almost wish I had bought 2. I ordered a Jambox for $100 today, so I will compare the two when it comes in.
Got my Soundbrick today as well. It comes out of the box already charged and ready to go. Paired to my iPhone 4 without any problems. There is a blue LED light to indicate bluetooth connection and a red LED light as a battery power/charge indicator.
Sound quality is just fine for an inexpensive $33 speaker. I should have bought another one, and probably will next time these things show up on a Woot-off or on Sellout. The sound is somewhat balanced, with OK bass and treble. There’s some emphasis on the mid-range, which I don’t like, but that’s just my taste. Stereo separation is not bad, but it’s somewhat simulated with a slight echo effect.
Overall, the sound is similar to the Logitech UE Mobile Boombox, but off course, this Soundbrick is a much better deal! I also like the Soundbrick much better than the Beats Pill. However, the Jambox and the JBL Flip have better sound quality (sharpness and richness) overall. But again at $33, I am not complaining! Hope this helps!
Got 2 of my 3 today.
Echo what Kutsunom says, here’s my rambling review.
It’s not going to blow you away, of course there is minimal separation, but it seems like a solid unit.
Compared it to my Supertooth Disco and Creative D80. The Disco was an unfair choice and the SoundBrick couldn’t keep up, but it faired well against the D80.
Much better high end and the lows were better represented.
I even gave the D80 a break by running it direct and the SoundBrick via Bluetooth. I switched between them with the source switcher on the iphone to A/B them.
Had them both against the back of the kitchen counter to give the bass some help and listened from about 12 feet, iPhone EQ off. Even over Bluetooth the SoundBrick was lively and clear while the D80 sounded like a plastic, inexpensive boombox; no lows and no highs. It’s great for podcasts though!
I don’t have a Jawbone Jambox, heard a little from one at the store over the holidays and it sounded pretty good. I doubt this would do great in a side-by-side, but at $30 I am so glad I went ahead and bought 3,(one for me, 1 for each of the kids). Should’ve bought extras!
Amazing value for the price, solid construction, and I’ve heard much worse Bluetooth receivers.
Cannot comment on battery life or speakerphone function as I haven’t had it long enough to find out.
Yay Woot!
Also got one of the keyboards. A total apple bluetooth keyboard knockoff, fine by me, just wanted something for my daughter and son to learn typing with. Just turned it on and pressed the “connect” button on the back, iPad saw it right away, had to type in the password, and it works like magic!
All of the F keys perform as their icons indicate they should, which is really cool. Probably a few more tricks I need to discover. As with the Soundbrick, money well spent. Not aluminum like the Apple keyboard, but a great kid’s keyboard or something to throw in your bag to use with your tablet.
I’ve had some Woot duds over the years, but these Urge Soundbricks and keyboards are not.
Just a follow up, I got a Jambox in today and have done a quick comparison of the two. I would say the Jambox sounds a little fuller and has better bass response. The Soundbrick seems to get louder, but can get a little muddy at higher volumes. For the difference in the sound vs the price, I would say the Soundbrick is better at one third the price. The Jambox sounds better, but not much, and certainly not 3x better.
Thanks for the reviews guys, I ended up ordering one too and its out for delivery right now. From whats been said, hopefully I won’t be disappointed. Will have to keep an eye out for when these eventually show up again, as I know a couple people looking for a bluetooth speaker, but I wasn’t about to recommend this one without any other reviews or experience from myself.
It’s on the back (bottom?) of the keyboard, halfway to the right side. You need to lift it or flip it over to access it. If you use it a lot it might not be worth the effort.
Cool thing about this, and I suppose any other BT keyboards, you can hit the DEL (lock icon) to wake up your iPad, hit the right arrow to swipe, then type in your password and hit enter.
Tapping the key with the square icon to the left of F1 is the equivalent of the HOME button. Double click will pull up recently used apps. Lots of other nice functions.
Still have to tap icons to open apps, maybe there is even a way around that. Will post if I find a way.
My bluetooth keyboard arrived today and danged if I can get it to connect with my new Toshiba Excite tablet, which I bought here last month. The tablet stays visible to bluetooth devices for 90 seconds and I have yet to find any key on the keyboard that will activate the connection. The user’s manual says “press the Pair/Connect button” but there’s no such thing.
I’ve got new batteries in the keyboard, the power is on - why won’t it work? Which button is the Pair/Connect button?
Urge company is now closed until April 3, how inconvenient!
Thanks for any help I can get…
EDIT: I tried connecting it to the bluetooth in my PC, and it didn’t find it either.
Well, no good for this sale, but for posterity, I’m quite pleased with the Sound Brick. If they come up again, I’d buy another one.
Not only does it have a line out, the sucker actually came with a m2m 3.5mm headphone jack.
Of course, I discovered today that my stereo, which does still include a casette player thankyewverymuch, has one of those old-school big giant line in jacks, so know I need a converter before I can test out turning my 1999 Aiwa into a bluetooth device.
Beginning to wonder if the woot sale was some sort of test run to get feedback on these soundbrick speakers. I saw URGE Basics themselves are selling them on Amazon for $79.99 each now (higher than the $49.99 retail woot had them listed at). At the very least, they got a few customer reviews out of us wooters on amazon I see. I wonder if we will ever see them on woot again, or ever for that low of a price.