Who makes the shirts now?

CS wasn’t able to give me any real clarity on this subject. I saw that Woot is now claiming they produce their shirts in house again. Looking for some verification on this.

Years ago, I got the Lincoln wearing a Cat in the Hat t-shirt. I love it. It has gotten me more comments than any other shirt I’ve ever owned. Naturally as the black faded, I bought it again as a reprint. Imagine my disappointment to discover that it was printed by another company on a different material. The new shirt was crappy. Fit was meh. Material was thin and felt cheap. Print colors weren’t vibrant. The old shirt still looked better than the new one!

This whole story is just to give an example of what I’m trying to figure out. Do the shirts now have Woot tags like they should? Are they their OG quality?

TIA!

@Narfcake

This is right up your alley.

1 Like

Was this replacement even purchased at Woot? Historical Inspiration hasn’t been offered for a while now due to legal reasons. If this was purchased elsewhere, it’s was probably a knockoff that they used a screengrab as a source. :frowning:

Shirts ordered from shirt.woot are indeed printed in-house. Digitally printed, yes, but in Woot’s facility in Carrollton, Texas. The blanks used now are sourced by Port and Company (standard) or Bella+Canvas (fitted).

2 Likes

Mine didn’t look quite right either Narf

3 Likes

It was indeed purchased off of Woot. It was a reprint purchase. It has been a few years since I purchased it.

I used this example bc it was easy to see the direct difference between the two different prints. Also, my gf bought me multiple cool shirts off Woot around the same time. They were all printed by the other company. They developed holes within a year or two whereas my previous Woot shirts NEVER have.

Once bitten, twice shy and all that.

BTW, @Narfcake impressive effort for a volunteer moderator! I’m genuinely impressed that you found the shirt at all and bothered to take the time!

2 Likes

I just checked and all the crappier quality original and reprinted ones are branded Anvil. The old ones that have held up are Woot branded w/ Made in Honduras or Nicaragua. Assuming their digital printing is on point, I suspect that my question would now be more about the product quality produced by the shirt manufacturers themselves.

Thanks for the assistance, everyone!

2 Likes

Anvils suck big time, but @Narfcake loves them. (just kidding Narf) :wink:

1 Like

When it comes to Shirt.Woot, @narfcake is one of the 7 best sources (not employed by Woot) for information.

1 Like

Who or what are the remaining 6?

1 Like

1 Like

Ugh. That explains it all. Yes, the mutant Anvil blanks are bad horrible.

Shirt.woot has stopped using them since February 1, 2017. The current “classic” blanks are supplied by Port and Company, model PC450. They’re a little bit thicker than the original woot tagged shirts but still made of ring spun cotton. They have been holding up quite well for me, even when I get lazy. For comparison, my men’s medium remains longer than an Anvil XL after a trip through the dryer. The sleeves are also much more generous; no more pinched armpits.

As for the print quality, although almost all shirts are digitally printed now, the quality has definitely improved versus a few years ago:

FWIW, the Anvil blanks were so ill received that shirt.woot’s #1 selling artist set up his own shop the very next month week day after the switch was announced. It was a sheer coincidence, of course. :wink:

1 Like

You’re welcome! I’m the resident scape shirt goat at another site for a good bad reason. Also I have that shirt … somewhere.

IMG_20190922_171545128

1 Like

No. No. No.
No. No. No.

Why does that cat have an ‘x’ on it?

1 Like

Maybe something was supposed to come out of there too?

1 Like

According to Scooter, that’s for kisses.
But he eats dryer lint sooo…

The port &co shirts are good. I haven’t had any problems with them.

2 Likes