Wi-Fi Smart Color Thermostat

Wi-Fi Smart Color Thermostat

I bought one of these a few weeks ago from Amazon. I am not happy. Some comments:

1. Honeywell has spun off their residential controls business. “Honeywell Home” is actually a company called Resideo. They don’t have the quality standards you expect from Honeywell, have terrible documentation and support, and are very hard to get in touch with.

2. The wiring connections on the thermostat baseplate are very delicate and easy to damage. They are tiny push-in terminals, not screws. I damaged mine trying to install the thing and had to send it back (thankfully I bought it from Amazon).

3. The wiring instructions are very incomplete. Many boilers have a low-water cutoff in the circuit that interferes with the wiring in a non-obvious way, and the result is that the thermostat will seem to work, but if a low-water condition occurs the thermostat will shut off and not be able to send out the (supposed) low-temperature alerts that were the reason I bought the thing in the first place. You can wire it so this will work, but not by following the Resideo instructions.

4. There are supposed to be warning notifications on low- and high-temperature conditions. However there is no indication of this in the app, control interface, or device web page. I don’t know if it is really there or what it is set to. I would not buy this thermostat if the warnings are what you want it for.

5. I installed the thing yesterday. I turned on power to the boiler and went upstairs to check the thermostat. It was dark. I unplugged it and plugged it in and it lit up. It seems that it doesn’t come up “on” if power is interrupted and restored. That is scary and I need to experiment with it some more. If it needs to be unplugged and plugged back in any time there is a power outage it is worthless. Not only would it not warn me if my house starts to get cold, but it could actually cause my heat to stop working.

So my recommendation is to not buy this based on your belief in the quality of Honeywell products, and to investigate products by other manufacturers before buying this.

-jimc

3 Likes

Useful link to check compatibility

This. We’ve owned the ubiquitous “5000” series version of this Honeywell form factor for many years.

A) While the thermostat itself was basically been reliable and even worked fine with Alexa (our thermostat was launched before Alexa existed!), the rinky-dink Resideo company to whom Honeywell sold out is a joke. Their servers have failed more than once.

B) We are changing to the wonderful ecobee smart thermostat.

Goodbye, sellout “Honeywell” (Resideo, I hope you didn’t pay too much!)

1 Like

Did not notice this is a refurb. Honeywell/Resideo was selling it brand new, with 1-year warranty (vs this 90-day Woot warranty) for $99 - but currently out of stock.

So they’re NOT selling it?

1 Like

Haha, so true! :wink: Darn it, cannot sneak anything past @ThunderThighs!

1 Like

Thanks both of your both these comments! What is the “5000” series? Would you say all except the most basic non-smart Honeywell Home thermostats are to be avoided? I was considering getting the
Honeywell Home 5-2 Day Programmable Learning Thermostat (RTH6360D1002)
or the
Honeywell Home Wi-Fi 7-Day Programmable Thermostat, Works with Alexa (RTH6580WF1001/U1)
To be honest, I’m not wanting to have Wi-Fi or smart thermostat - just a standard 5-2 day thermostat…

The “5000 series” refers to a long-running range of models that used the same form factor as this Woot deal model. They’re solid, reliable thermostats. However, my comment above referred to the shakier company now backing them up. When we bought our Honeywell, it was Honeywell backing them up.

As a result of Honeywell selling their home thermostat division to Resideo, the reliability of the connected functionality - controlling it remotely like turning the temp down or up when away from home, such as to pre-cool/warm the home before returning from a trip, or Alexa control. Our experience with Resideo has not been good, so poor, I’d guess Honeywell might not like the resulting degradation to their brand name - that remains on the devices.

If you do not wish to have any remote control, you could try not connecting the thermostat to your Wifi network in the setup process. Although, that would preclude the thermostat from software updates - perhaps unnecessary if they thermostat works fine. And if this Woot model is like our “5000 series”, it would not like not having a wifi connection.