Yukon Outfitters Quilts (2 Models)

Ok, been wanting an underquilt for a while now (down quilt would be great, but so much more money). Curious how accurate the temp rating will be. I ordered one and plan on using it later this month. I live in the south, so the temp rating might be just right for our winter temps.

For the same reasons as above I ordered one as well. The down ones cost so much and I just need something that will work in moderate temps. I tried the yukon hammock with a sleeping bag, and any exposed skin not over the bag (read: legs and arms) got freezing even at 55F+.

We’ll see how this works. I don’t need it to be spectacular for only $50.Just needs to keep me warm when the lows hit 40ish.

Definitely need something. I just went to Lost Maples, 50 degree night in a 20 degree Kelty Dualist. Froze my ass off. That sleeping bag kept me warm and cozy on the ground down to 30 one night.

I’m torn on this… In my experience the Yukon Outfitters stuff is decent, but cheap. I’m kind of skeptical about the effectiveness of this; it doesn’t look very substantial. I may have to wait until the next time it comes around and read the reviews…

I’ve always had good results using a heavy duty “space” emergency blanket between me and sleeping bag but I can see these doing probably a better job of staying put.

I use one of these http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/400484526178?ul_noapp=true&chn=ps&lpid=82
and it works great in cool/moderate temperatures. It’s not only reflective like the space blanket, but also is made of bubble wrap type material (much stronger), so it adds that additional layer of insulation. But the idea behind the underquilt is that it that it doesn’t get compressed like the bottom of your sleeping bag does when you lay on it, causing you to lose loft, and thus insulation power.

In the winter, I have a huge sub-zero bag that works great, but it is completely unreasonable for anything but car camping. It’s huge and heavy.

My son is in the Boy Scouts, and hammocks are all the rage in his troop. He received one of the Yukon Outfitter Mosquito hammocks for Christmas.

My question: If he has this quilt, is he still going to need a sleeping bag inside the hammock on clear spring or fall night campouts in upstate New York (Finger Lakes, not Adirondacks). It seems like the simplicity of a hammock vs a tent/sleeping pad is lost once you start adding mosquito netting, a rainfly, this quilt, and who knows what else. Also all these extras are going to take up space and add weight to his pack.

Any comments?

Yes, he will still want a sleeping bag. though with an underquilt, he may use his bag as a top quilt/blanket more than crawling inside of the bag.

I am also from upstate NY and am a 15-year 4-season avid hammock camper. Yes, an underquilt and a 25 degree bag are bulky but so are CCF pads - none of them weigh that much, though.

I think I’ll try one of these out. Underquilts can be fussy as far as positioning goes - too much of a gap and you’ll get cold, too little and the insulation can become compressed. I have a double-bottom hammock that I put CCF pads between the layers and they stay put, but aren’t super comfy at times. I also have used Reflectix (the foil-faced bubble wrap), and it’s great for cooler but not cold nights.

A good place to go for any general information on hammocks is https://hammockforums.net. Very helpful bunch of people there.

Everything has two sides. Advantage to the bottom quilt is that it is a LOT more comfortable than a using a pad in the hammock with the disadvantage that if you swap quilt for pad you are SOL if you have to go to ground.

My favorite means I’ve come across for skipping the mosquito net is to treat the hammock itself and a bandanna with Permethrin. Hang the bandanna from a ridge line above the face. Between that and the sleeping bag, no bug issues.

The only thing that bothers me about this one (the Kindle underquilt) are the dimensions. 8’ 2" is plenty long for me, but 2’ wide? All of the pictures here and on the Yukon Outfitters website show it as much wider, looks like 2’ per side (edge to middle seam). Has anyone had eyes on this directly to confirm that suspicion?

Thanks for the advice. Given that the Primaloft and Down under quilts at REI run $175 and $300, this looks like it might make a good birthday present in March.

Incidentally, a Yukon Outfitters nylon sheet/ground cloth made great field expedient mosquito barrier for one of the troop leaders sleeping in a hammock up in the Adirondacks last summer. I’ll have to try a hammock myself this year.

Yes, you will! Good luck, read lots.

8’ long is also excessive. From what I’ve found, a lot of hammock users use 3/4 length quilts, typically 4-5’ long, long enough to cover shoulders to knees. It cuts down significantly on the weight while keeping them warm enough.

In my experience, hammocks and tents are about the same hassle and weight. A tent is a lot funner to hang out in during a rain storm. I hammock because I get a better night sleep with a bad back. It is good to decide for each trip out if it’s hammock or tent time.

Thanks for the advice. That leader using the ground cloth as a mosquito net was happy to join me in my tent during the thunderstorms :slight_smile:

I have found being in a hammock with the tarp slung low is the very best rain protection. There can be a river flowing beneath me, but I am high, dry, and comfortable. The folks in the tents are a) on hard ground and b) usually collecting water somewhere inside the tent and c) generally cooped up without good air circulation.

Of course, it’s a solitary comfort - not easy to chat with others.

@Jonas4321,

Thank you for pointing this out. The original listing should have explained the height when folded is 2’. But when expanded the Kindle Under Quilt is 4’ wide.

We’ve reached out to Woot as well and product specs have been updated.

Thanks again and happy hammocking!

Awesome, thanks! Great to hear from the manufacturers here in the forum.

Yukon is one of our better vendors, that way. :slight_smile: