Zipz Premium Wine Anywhere

Zipz Premium Wine Anywhere - (Your Choice)
Sold by: Zipz Wine
$59.99
In the box:
Zipz Premium Wine Anywhere Mixed 24-Pack, includes–
(6) 2012 Cabernet Sauvignon, 187 ml
(6) 2013 Pinot Grigio, 187 ml
(6) 2012 Merlot, 187ml
(6) 2012 Chardonnay, 187 ml
—or—
Zipz Premium Wine Anywhere Mixed Red 24-Pack, includes–
(12) 2012 Cabernet Sauvignon, 187 ml
(12) 2012 Merlot, 187ml
—or—
Zipz Premium Wine Anywhere Mixed White 24-Pack, includes–
(12) 2013 Pinot Grigio, 187 ml
(12) 2012 Chardonnay, 187 ml

Website

Previous offer:
1/19/15

FYI… 187ml = 6.3oz

re-posted from the original offer in January.

I have seen a number of options for single serving wine in stores and on TV through the likes of shark tank. So I was skeptical of these since I figured there was no way these wines would be any good.

So here’s the run down.

Friday night after dinner
2013 Pinot Grigio
No designation or AVA on the wine.
Its a pale straw yellow that is sediment free. A moderate young nose of very mild apple. It also comes across as a little grapey. (yes, I know its grape juice) On the palate its a got a slight bit of sweetness, light bodied, crisp and zero tannins. The balance is fair but the wine is a bit bland. Flavors are mild green apple, some lemon and a hint of minimality. The finish is a bit tart which goes along with the crispness of the wine. As the wine warmed it got a bit more expressive to me but still overall a bit bland. My wife likes pinot grigio and she sampled it and liked it. This to me was the wine I liked the least in the set.

2012 Chardonnay
Color is a medium yellow\gold, wine is clear and free of sediment. This wine still smelled fairly young and was a moderate nose. Aromas are peaches, green apple and vanilla. On the tongue the wine tasted dry, light/medium bodied and had nice acidity, and no tannins were present. The flavors on the tongue are green apple, honeydew and a bit of grassyness in the medium length finish. I would peg this a modern chard. but the oak usage is very minimal and its not a butter bomb, in face zero butter. It starts out very smooth and finishes tart with some nice acid making your mouth water. This was my 2nd favorite wine of the set.

Saturday Night with dinner
2012 Merlot
The wine is a deep clear red and has no sediment, It has a big young nose of plum, raspberry a bit of cassis, some oak and some alcohol. On the tongue the wine is dry, full/medium bodied, good acidity and medium soft tannins. The is fairly balanced with everything on the more modern side but nothing standing out as out of control. The flavors on the tongue are the same as the nose minus the oak. The finish is medium in length. Over time the oak blew off on the nose which made the wine more enjoyable overall. To me the weight and flavor profile felt more like a light cab than a merlot and I wouldn’t be surprised if its as much as 20% cab. This was my favorite wine of the set.

2010 Cabernet
Wine is a clear medium red, with a moderate youthful nose full of cassis, green olive, cherry and blackberry, the nose also has a stemmy quality about it. The wine is dry, medium\full bodied and is crisp on tongue. Wine presents itself with low hard tannins, and flavors of cassis, green olive, pepper and blackberry. It finishes with some tartness and is medium in length. The nose felt a little disjointed to me, it carries both a red and black fruit profile. The wine felt a bit more traditional in style. It could have also suffered from being a hair under ripe. This was my 3rd favorite wine from the set.

My overall impressions on the concept and wines.

I like the packaging, its well designed, its light but sturdy and it all fits together well. I think these would do really well at sporting events and might be a good choice for a picnic if you don’t want to lug separate glasses with you. I wouldn’t buy these for home use. It simply doesn’t make any sense. Unless you need an artificial barrier to over consumption. The labels could use a designation like for example California. I could be drinking wine from anywhere, I would never know.

The wine is a mixed bag, it was all very drinkable. The merlot stood out among the others as the better wine and it seemed to drink above its SRP. The others were right on SRP. Nothing great and nothing bad either. But overall better than what I was expecting.

Check out these “5 fast facts you need to know” and Zipz Wine and check out their Twitter!

wow, great review. cheers!

$10/btl, humm…

Bahwm showed us one of the leftover Zips glasses when we visited Buffalo. It would almost be worth it to order these just for the reusable glasses that would be ideal for outdoor consumption.

as with Cortot, reposting my notes from the prior offer:

What’s the application for these? It’s 4 glasses to equal a bottle, but I have yet to open a bottle and not have it finished by the end of the night, u less its a premium wine that I pour small amounts to make it last, but I don’t believe you’ll get that at $10/bottle.

They won’t let you bring liquor into most events (at least not in New England), they want you to buy their $16 glasses.

Drinking in public is illegal in most places so I don’t see a lot of people walking down the street or going to parks with these.

The only places you can really drink are at restaurants or events that won’t let you bring anything in or at houses/parties, and I have yet to go to a party where they don’t have wine glasses.

So I ask again, can someone tell me a valid application for a consumer to buy these? Don’t get me wrong, I can see these as a great option for outdoor venues to sell, I just don’t get it as a woot item.

No CT links?

For you? None.

For everyone else? Not everyone finishes a bottle in one sitting. Not every place in the US has the same laws and restrictions as where you live.

That’s like asking why someone would sell snow shovels when part of the country never gets snow.

I could see my family using these for picnics and concerts on the green. But that’s really about it. I wouldn’t use them at home and sporting events here in the west coast wouldn’t let walk them in. But I could see stadiums selling these.

Does anyone know if the glasses are dishwasher safe?

I can also see this being a great option for tailgating at sporting events.

Many venues don’t allow glass at all, so wine glasses and bottles are out of the question.

What an incredible amount of waste this must make…stick your fine wine in a mason jar!

Great Pacific Garbage Patch

I found it interesting that some of these wines hail from Lodi. Personally, I prefer a Hackensack red myself… Or a Pinot from Hoboken…

Some of you East Coasters will understand.

I can’t believe these were ordered on 02/14/2015 and they are still not here yet 03/02/2015. 1st bad service I have recieved with a Woot order.

Wine.woot shipments take a bit longer than shipments from our other sites. This is due to the shipping strategies used so the wine keeps moving while in transit. This ensures that the wine gets to you in good condition. Please allow at least 2-3 weeks.

The FAQ:

How long is shipment going to take?
You should get your wine in 2-3 weeks, often sooner. We know the wait is kind of a drag. But it’s still gonna taste good (maybe even better), and since we leave it to the wineries to get the wine to you, you can count on their experience to send their wine using their expert methodologies.