150Wh Portable Solar Generator

150Wh Portable Solar Generator

Exactly what part of this is actually “solar”? It doesn’t come with anything remotely solar. It’s a big battery, that’s it. What a disingenuous title that borders on false advertising.

2 Likes

Agreed the link title is misleading but the full item description on the purchase page does state the item is a power supply

ACOPOWER HY-S320 150Wh Portable Solar Generator Power Supply

I’m assuming it’s the Woot Machine pulling out “relevant” information to make the title. I doubt it’s a ploy to knowingly mislead customers. But I’m also a half-glass-full kind of guy.

It is the second half of a package that includes a solar panel. So, you can get the package or the panel or the battery. Your choice. However, it is definitely a bad title.

I’m blessed to have a nasal issue making me use a CPAP machine. I have 2 of these batteries and they are fantastic, and CHEAP! Running my CPAP off of DC with no humidification or heated tube I can get about 18 hours out of it. This is perfect for a weekend camping trip. It can be charged via solar, AC, or DC so you have plenty of options.

1 Like

I would have never thought about using this for CPAP while camping. That’s a fantastic idea. I don’t go camping that often but it’s a fantastic idea!

1 Like

This is a much cheaper and more versatile solution than dedicated CPAP batteries. Those normally run $300+ and might get a single night. It’s also good during power outages.

2 Likes

Check your machine’s manufacturer. ResMed provides a battery guide for their machines which includes typical power draw and recommended battery sizes of current models. Some older machines (pre 2010???) cannot use their humidifier on inverter. Further, older machines with internal power supplies required a “true” sine wave inverter to work properly. Newer machines with external power bricks tend to be much more forgiving.

I do not use this battery, but I have a couple jump starter packs I bought from Costco which use 20Ah AGM batteries. They have a standard automotive power socket (cigarette lighter socket) which I can use to run any 12V accessory. I have used them with my machine for both camping and at home during power outages. Waiting for them to die before upgrading to a lithium based set.

I originally started with a DC->AC 110V inverter and the machine’s stock power adapter. With that setup, without humidifier (water in chamber, but heater turned off), I get around 10 hours. Then I bought the ResMed direct battery adapter and with it I get around 16 hours, again without humidifier. Actual run times vary depending on the pressure settings and whether or not humidification is used. My numbers are with a pressure of 15+.

1 Like

If I camped more than once a year (if that) then I would do more research. It was more of a “Hey, that’s cool!” than a “Hey, I’m going to do this!” kind of response.

Thanks for the pro-tips though. I forget sometimes that electronics can be finicky when it comes to power supplies. Been too long since I took my electronics course during my first undergrad.