(8 Pack) AmazonBasics Rechargeable AA NiMH High-Capacity Batteries

(8 Pack) AmazonBasics Rechargeable AA NiMH High-Capacity Batteries

2 Likes

These are too fat to fit into a lot of things and they don’t last very long. That being said, at this price, I’ve found enough things they DO fit into and last long enough that I’m gonna buy a pack.

5 Likes

They are actually $13.30 on Amazon not $17.99. That makes me not trust the discounts Woot is telling us.

13 Likes

I havent had a problem with them fitting anything, but I have had quite a few die after 1 or 2 uses. High failure rate for something thats designed to be used over and over.

9 Likes

There are numerous listings for these batteries. This is the one which Woot was using:

(8 Pack) AmazonBasics Rechargeable AA NiMH High-Capacity Batteries.

(Please note: I don’t work for Woot, I just volunteer to help out here on the forums.)

2 Likes

shelf-life is stated as up to 5 years. How many shelf-life years these have left?

3 Likes

They are rechargeable. Worst case you have to charge them when you get them. (Shelf life here means how long they can hold a useable charge, in this case indicating that these are the modern “low self discharge” chemistry)

But usually with stuff like this that Amazon is still actively selling, you’re just getting an overstock discount, and not getting any particularly old stock or anything. That’s my experience anyway.

5 Likes

Anyone know if these are manufactured in Japan?
Costco have the Energizer Rechargeable Value Charger Kit on sale at $14.99 and last time I checked these are Japanese. There are mixed reviews on the included charger though.

1 Like

Thats what she said.

1 Like

Sorry but these are not going to be Japanese made nonbranded Eneloops for $9.99

4 Likes

Thanks for the info. I will buy the Eneloops from Amazon at $14.99 to be on the safe side.

1 Like

My last purchase from Amazon were these. Made in China. Quality has been very good. Though I have not used all 8. Used in an electric toothbrush. Output is very good. But please do remember all NiMH batteries are 1.2 V and fresh Alkaline are 1.54 V. Some devices need two Alkaline batteries at the higher 3 V to run optimally.

2 Likes

If they are totally drained, the charger will refuse to charge them. Hook tnem up to 12v for 90 seconds, let them rest for 30 minutes and put the in the charger.

1 Like

Mine showed up - made in China version of the B00HZV9WTM

Dang. Didn’t know Basics would change like that.
I’ve been using those rebranded Eneloops (with the little notch) for a decade now in my clocks, remotes, and toothbrushes.

TL; DR: The 2000mAh “standard” capacity version is cheaper and better in most cases.

I have purchased many of these and similar low self discharge NiMH batteries under many different brands. . AmazonBasics, Eneloop, Ikea, Energizer, Fujitsu, and Duracell. Made in Japan, China, and Malaysia.

Made in Japan 1900 mAh (standard) ones are the best, but the China and Malaysia ones work well, though I honestly don’t give them enough of a workout to tell.

In July, I purchased a 24 pack of these 2400mAh for about a buck each and a 24 pack of the standard 2000 mAh for about $0.80 each from the mother ship. Both Made in Malaysia. Nothing of note from either pack so far, but I don’t think I’ve recharged any of them yet.

I ordered some AAA High Capacity 850mAh cells a month ago for about $0.68 and returned them after I bought some of the regular AAA 800mAh cells for $0.62. Both were Amazon Subscribe and Save purchases of 24-packs when prices were especially.

In general, the batteries I have that fail are almost always the high capacity ones like these 2400mAh.

The high capacity ones are best when using them in heavy-drain devices that will discharge the batteries rather quickly. Within a month or so.

The higher capacity comes at the cost of fewer discharge cycles (400-500 vs 1000) and faster self discharge (50% remaining after one year vs 80% after 2 years)

That self discharge difference is HUGE. Per specs, after a year of no use, the “high capacity” 2400mAh will have 1200mAH left. The 2000mAh standard capacity will have over 1600mAh left. Likely 1800mAh. That’s 50% MORE charge than the “high” capacity ones.

For something like a flashlight that uses up a set of batteries every year or so, I would much rather know I have a decent charge for over two years than worry that I’ll have a dead battery when I need the light.

For a motorized toy or heavy-use flashlight, something that will use up the charge rather quickly, these are great. Longer lasting. Fewer charges needed.

An 8-pack of these are great to have for those high-drain devices, and a good way to try them out for yourself, but for low-drain devices like a remote control or wireless mouse, the lower capacity models are better and cheaper.

The regular ones can be had for well under $1 each a few times a year like Prime Day. Stock up then.

4 Likes