A/C or Fan?

Take both as needed.

7 Likes

Both - Plus trying to peel your skin off to get cool when living in the HUMID and HOT Gulf Coast of Alabama!!! (I like COLD - not this BS!)

4 Likes

The high temperature here today is 65°. I dont see a need for ac.

1 Like

Personally, I prefer to be warm. When I was a bachelor, I’d typically only run a fan when it got warm. I had one small window-AC for my bedroom, but only put that in on the absolute hottest nights. Some years, I wouldn’t even bother unpacking it.

Unfortunately, most of the people in my life, now, prefer to run the AC until it feels like I’m stranded on a frozen tundra. My wife likes to keep the house quite chilly, and the majority of coworkers insist on keeping the temp very low at work, too. So, there really isn’t much opportunity to escape from the cold, for me, anymore.

The Shining GIF

3 Likes

Throughout the summer we get by most days with open windows and a few fans. Only run the AC for about 6 days per summer.

1 Like

Swamp cooler… feels better than A/C.

1 Like

You need a both choice. In this high heat and humidity you have. To run both.

3 Likes

I get really nauseated when it’s hot and will throw up and generally feel like utter crap. It’s not pleasant. So, yeah, it’s AC for me.

3 Likes

I guess it didn’t make them stronger, huh? What about the millions of construction workers and roofers who work out in this hotter than hell heat every year and are just fine?

I didn’t say that heat doesn’t kill. It does kill the weaker of the species though, just like everything else. Isn’t that how evolution is supposed to work? Believe science, right?

1 Like

AC for this big softie. Thermostat stays on 68° all year round!

(I will mention that I lived for years without AC in my car in Phoenix… being a broke college kid I just got used to the heat. But those days are long gone)

2 Likes

65!? here the hell are you? The Arctic?

2 Likes

My dad, before he passed away, had electric windows in his truck (yeah, I know that that isn’t shocking to most people, but we are a family who always use / prefer hand crank). For a couple of years, those widows wouldn’t roll down. He had no A/C and he smoked. When he would come see me in the summer, he got out of the truck and he was dripping sweat. I don’t know how he handled that. Finally ignored him and just went out and fixed it myself for him.

3 Likes

I was in Monterey last week and the high was 65 the whole time. It was glorious!

1 Like

Too cold for me, but sounds glorious for most :cowboy_hat_face:

1 Like

I’m a Fan of AC Slater

1 Like

I spent time in Florida, so I know what you mean by the heat sticking to you. Nothing quite like the feeling of being steamed in your own sweat.

1 Like

Or having the back of your legs get seared on a hot car set.

2 Likes

There are some American Indians acclimated to living in 117 degree F heat. Asian Indians in some villages slap cow pies onto attached umbilical cords to stop bleeding. They also are poorer than dirt and have rampant infant deaths.

But why suffer for not even a particpation badge? “Science” says move to a gated community in San Jose, CA or Raleigh, NC. If you have the bucks, there are safer choices and greater life expectancy. The rest of us if opt for what is feasible and that which is less likely lethal to babies. Woot Air Conditioners and fans help. Currently in 94 degree F heat and not having fun.

2 Likes

No. Society says move to a gated community. Science says no such thing.

So you’re saying that you will live longer than me just because you rock the A/C? Are you freaking serious?

Longer life span does not necessarily mean a more robust species. It just means that life has become so easy for most people that the slightest thing - like a 101 degree day - can kill them where it wouldn’t have killed their previous generation.

Hell… I will never forget a few years ago when I saw on the news that a bunch of pansies were being sent home from school because the air conditioner had broken :open_mouth: When I was in school, we never once had A/C. When the heat was at it’s worst, we shut the lights off, opened the doors and the windows and kept right on keeping on. Every one of us somehow managed to survive. Don’t try to tell me that technology has not made the human race soft and squishy. Evolution is going backwards in homo-sapiens as far as biology goes.

Pretty sure millions of babies have lived through heatwaves in the Deep South for generations.

Life expectancy Macon, Georgia 74.9 years
Life expectancy Raleigh, North Carolina 78.1 years
Life expectancy San Jose, California 83 years

Even 5 years difference is considered major because these are averages.

3 Likes