Acer Aspire 10.1" 6 Cell Netbook with Accessory Kit

I prefer -RW,I like reusing the same slab of plastic a thousand times.

I’m a college student and a netbook is a great investment. It’s pennies compared to buying a Mac and does it all. I take mine to class all the time and note taking is a breeze. When I’m waiting for a class I can just sit outside and surf the net without having to worry about the battery dying on me. It’s compact and super light weight as well. The keyboard is also comfortable to use- no complaints here!

Give the specs, I haven’t seen many netbooks that have really, truly, better specs. You can special order an HP mini that has a better graphics card which will handle the 1366x768 but I have never seen the SAMSUNG with it. And processor wize, you can get a slightly better one 1.66 GHz instead of 1.6 GHz with a FSB of 667MHz instead of 533MHz, but this is not significant enough. I haven’t seen any of the netbooks with the capability of more than 2Gigs RAM, this has one, easy upgrade to 2Gigs. If you look at the 11" netbooks, they all seem to be underpowered with a 1.2GHz proc.

So tell what is so good on your specs, do you have a netbook I haven’t heard about.

For the HP Mini with the 1.66GHz, 2GB RAM, and the high resolution, you will pay over $500, and if you are going to run multiple apps, and videos, it might be worth it.

This is not a power horse but it is a great little computer.

The DVD drive that comes with it really makes it worth it. a lot of people don’t have dual drives anymore and having one around is great for direct disk duplication/backup or just making multiple disks at the same time.

No. It is a good deal not the best not what I would call a real WOOT!

Here is another Acer 10 inch netbook.
Acer Aspire One AOD150-1165 also has a surprising price.

anyone have a link for 2gb memory?

I picked up a refurbed D250 on Sellout a couple weeks ago. Upgraded the RAM to 2GB, picked up a sleeve and a mouse as well.

Office 2007, Chrome/Firefox, AVG all run great. Video quality is fine, it’ll never be as good as the 24" on my desktop and I can accept that. The RAM upgrade is a must I feel - my sister has the same machine, and it’s a slug by comparison. Then again, she thinks she needs to run iTunes on it.

WiFi comes in great thanks to Acer’s SignalUp - which gives you two antennas in the top of the LCD panel.

Typically I see 6+ hours on the battery timer in the system tray - though it varies depending on current usage stats. Those of you looking for a highly portable machine able to do the basics well with amazing battery life need look no further.

I bought one, had a problem with the “N” key sticking. Otherwise it is or was a great pc. Lite, battery life you wouldn’t believe, fast.

So here is a question. If I wanted to run dragon naturally speaking on one of these net-books, along with going up to 2GB for the ram, what other specs do I need to look for, and can a net-book run voice recognition software without bogging down?

thx

yes, I will second this. The dvd drive is an awesome plus. The computer is great at doing anything related to hw or web surfing. If you want an extra boost, upgrade the ram and you will be fine.

Ok, so what if you lost it. Where can you get another?

Pretty far. I’m using one right now, am on the internet, and the nearest Starbucks is 5.5 miles away. So, yeah, pretty far.

Amazon has Crucial 2G chip at:

http://www.amazon.com/Crucial-256Mx64PC2-5300-CT25664AC667-200-Pin-SODIMM/dp/B000F7QRTG/ref=pd_cp_e_1

for ~ $54. That;s up $10 from last month and $30 from last fall . . . got the previous woot with the 3-cell for my sweetie, took 2 min to put in the new memory. She loves it!

I am looking for a laptop for my kids when we are long term cruising. First - is 10.1 inch the total horizontal dimension - so what is the actual screen width. Also can I load office and photo software and still have the computer run reasonably - I guess I am confused between notebook and netbook - please someone with more experience help this old salt

Can anyone tell me if this will handle Corel Paint Shop Pro X? My passion is photo editing (no face is safe with me) and how FUN it would be to be even more mobile with my evil talents!

I have the 3 cell version of this and am very happy…except that I use it often to stream video on the road (Hulu, etc) and the video’s are very choppy. Even watching a movie from an external hard drive involves a lot of momentary video freezing where the sound doesn’t match the view. Any suggestions? Also, anyone know if you can upgrade this to Windows 7? Or…if there would be a point to upgrading to Windows 7?

I paid about $40 more without the accessories, this is a great deal!

Why should I buy this and not an iPad?

I have had this for 6 months now and I absolutely love it. I’m 5’6". This thing is perfect. Anything smaller would be unusable … anything larger loses portability. I can work on the bus even with people left and right. The keyboard is something you will be amazed you get used to. The touchpad button action is a little firm … but that’s the only thing I can think is a minus for this unit.

It fits very nicely in my pannier bag if I need to bike to work.

One thing that ‘bothered’ me initially was the battery sticks out the back a bit BUT I have come to LOVE this. It acts as a little carrying handle.