Apple iPad Pro (2018) 12.9" WiFi Tablets

Apple iPad Pro (2018) 12.9" WiFi Tablets

Is this a good deal? I remember seeing the new one on amazon for $799.

Also does it come with original box or a generic one?

Is it refurbished by apple?

1 Like

Woot deals are not usually refurbished by Apple. This is about $200 cheaper than buying a refurb from Apple directly. Woot version comes with generic (non-Apple) power brick and charging cable.

What you don’t know is how it was refurbished; if they used non-Apple parts; for example, replacing the screen and if you use an off-market screen it can mess with TrueTone. Battery could have been replaced with generic, etc.

So the question is… is $200 worth those caveats?

I don’t think it’s a good deal at all. Right now Apple is selling the same iPad Pros 64GB refurb for $100 less than this Woot deal. Apple’s refurbished products carry a one year warranty. Before pulling the trigger, check Apple’s website. Cheers!

1 Like

The 2018 is the 3rd gen Ipad Pro, fyi.
On apple refurb the 2nd gen is selling for $589 and the 3rd gen for $849.
so you can either go and save $110 with a slightly older version or spend $150 more. Either way you get an Apple perfect indistinguishable from new with Apple warranty and the ability to get Applecare on it.
This is in line with searching ebay and finding a decent tablet and buying it. Some
Buyer beware is needed.
Woot won’t disclose who actually refurbs their devices - and from feedback its fairly hit or miss. You could get a near pristine unit, or as other have noted something that has a barely working battery and scratched screen.
Also as skycorgan notes, what parts were used - guaranteed they were NOT apple certified parts, as that is a huge marketing advantage. Apple just recently has allowed certain 3rd party repair shops access to their authentic parts, and if I was selling these, I would want you to know you were getting a quality refurb.
So if anything happens and you take it to the genius bar, you will won’t be able to get it repaired or have the battery replaced etc.
Food for thought.

These are $999 new. Apple sells them refurbished for $849, including a full 1 year Apple warranty and the option to buy an AppleCare extended warranty (which I’d wager the ones Woot is selling are not eligible for).

I still ended up ordering one because I currently have the 11” version and am trying to decide if I want to upgrade to the 12.9. This seems like a good price point to try it out, and I can return it within 30 days if I decide it’s just too much iPad for me, or if something seems “off.”

Apple refurb or unknown refurb? Meh.

What really matters is the write-up rocks.

I sold my 2017 iPad no longer under warranty for $650 and swooped one of these up so I’d say a good trade off :slight_smile:

If I am not wrong , just few days ago Woot had the 12.9 iPad Pro 64g for $529.00 ?

FYI apple gives you two weeks no-regret test drive. Not as great as 30 days, however felt it should be mentioned

Mine (64GB) has just arrived!

Came with 12.14, it’s currently doing the updoot to 13.1.2

Packaging was plenty generic, small cardboard box filled with custom cut foam pieces. It’s not clear to me if the foam is recyclable. iPad itself was in foam envelope, wrapped in a paper/plastic sleeve very similar to what they ship in from Apple when new.

A small card inside the box indicates that the iPad was refurbed by a company called BuySPRY, whose website ( https://buyspry.net/ ) is distressingly generic and filled with default copy and typos.

Nothing seems janky or wrong with the iPad just yet, but I haven’t put it through its paces. The screen seems plenty bright and crisp, but hard to judge from the setup screens so far. The body looks solid and blemish-free, pencil connects and charges without issue.

One disappointment; the listing says a “Generic” USB-C cable and “Generic” USB-C charger are in the box, and that’s only half-true. The charger is very generic-looking “Salcomp” charger of indeterminate wattage but it has a built-in USB-C cable, not a separate cable. Would’ve preferred a separate charger and cable, this will likely stay in its packaging in the shipping box as I assess whether or not I’ll keep the iPad.

Initial impressions are positive! We’ll see how this goes.

2 Likes