Cuisinart 2-Quart Ice Cream Maker

http://d3gqasl9vmjfd8.cloudfront.net/3b4f2341-8eee-4301-9999-4a38f2ee4cda.jpg

Cuisinart 2-Quart Ice Cream Maker
Price: $39.99
Shipping Options: $5 Standard OR $15 Two-Day OR $18 One-Day
Shipping Estimates: Ships in 1-2 business days (Monday, Apr 28 to Tuesday, Apr 29) + transit
Condition: Factory Reconditioned

[http://www.wootstalker.com/images/buy.png

Buy It](http://home.woot.com/offers/cuisinart-2-quart-ice-cream-maker) [http://www.wootstalker.com/images/amazon.png

Search Amazon](http://www.amazon.com/s/?field-keywords=Cuisinart 2-Quart Ice Cream Maker) [http://www.wootstalker.com/images/google.png

Search Google](https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&tbm=shop&q=Cuisinart 2-Quart Ice Cream Maker)

Lots of good reviews from Overstock and a couple more from Amazon

Check out the product page and video for a very similar model.

[youtube=ZFOjtEyvoyA][/youtube]

I have this Ice Cream Maker and can confirm it makes ice cream. Including Coconut Cream Ice Cream for those that don’t do dairy.

diabetic ice cream recipes?

$43.95 refurb on Amazon with FREE 2 day shipping if you have Prime.

link

[MOD: Now $58. Refurb ≠ Factory Reconditioned. Ours has a Cuisinart warranty. ]

Here you go

I wish I could. I love homemade ice cream, and the one or two times I’ve gotten it to turn out (not with an ice cream maker, but a more laborious process), it was delicious!

Unfortunately, my last experience using an ice cream maker had me freezing the container for more than two days (and my freezer was on the coldest setting), and the cream just wouldn’t thicken. I tried it again at my parent’s house, freezing the container in their freezer, and it still wouldn’t work. I live in Texas. Is it just too hot for ice cream makers here? Otherwise, this would be really tempting. (Although, come to think of it, I’m not certain my freezer can accommodate a 2-quart container.)

That said, I’ve successfully made ice cream by throwing around a bag of ice cream mix in another baggie with ice and rock salt, using a double bowl in the freezer (which I rarely have room for), and stirring every 30 minutes or so (I think). And frozen bananas in the food processor. All of the result were delicious (except when the salt leaked into that baggie one time), but it’s more time and effort than I want to put into my ice cream making more than occasionally.

I’ve had extremely good luck with homemade coconut ice cream (can’t do dairy). Basic tutorial here:

http://tinyurl.com/DIYcoconutIceCream

There are a few keys:

1. I recommend freezing the bowl a minimum of 24 hours. If you have the shelf space in your freezer, just leave it in there all the time for when the mood hits.

2. Use full-fat coconut milk. It comes in a can. Goya sells a good one in the Spanish section of the supermarket.

3. Mix everything in a blender first. The paddles in the ice cream maker are NOT for mixing, they’re for adding air to the ice cream so that it keeps it fluffy & not rock-solid. So blend up the ice cream ingredients into a goop, then pour into the frozen bowl.

4. The base mix is very coconut-flavored, so I recommend choosing a flavor (ex. mint or chocolate) and/or adding mix-ins (cookie bits, nuts, etc.) to help tone down the flavor. I’m not a super big fan of coconut, but when you make a custom flavor, it hides the coconut taste pretty well.

Did you thoroughly chill the mix before putting it on the machine? I’ve had no problem making several batches with an older model Cuisinart.

I’ve been successfully making ice cream in a Hamilton Beach 1-quart maker for over a decade now, and in a very similar Cuisinart 2-quart at work for 2-3 years.

The basic mix I use is as adapted from the Ben & Jerry’s ice cream recipe book… which is apparently back in print! It’s under $6 on Amazon.

Here’s a basic vanilla ice cream recipe: 2 cups milk, 4 cups heavy cream, 4 eggs, 1-2 cups sugar (adjust to taste; I like mine less sweet), 4tsp vanilla extract. (this is for 2 quarts, if you have a 1-quart mixer then cut all quantities in half)

Beat eggs on their own until they start forming stiff(-ish) peaks, about 3-4 minutes. Add sugar gradually, without stopping the mixer. Add vanilla extract, milk, and cream and beat just enough to make a uniform mix, about 30 second.

Pour into the ice cream maker and let run for 30 minutes. Transfer into a tupperware container and freeze for about 8 hrs.

I find that if you try to eat the ice cream straight out of the mixer it will be borderline soft-serve, and will liquefy very quickly. The key about making ice cream is incorporating sufficient air into the mix as it solidifies. The maker will do that while churning, but won’t get the mix cold enough to stay frozen for very long.

I’ll be happy to (try to!) answer specific ice cream making questions if you have any.

I have one of these and it does work really well. Like the comment above me make sure your mixture is very cold (almost frozen) if your freezer isn’t cold enough.

I put my insert in my chest freezer that’s set to 0 and it freezes hard in less than 24 hours. It’s small enough that I just leave it there.

This doesn’t make that much ice cream so if you have a few kids it will be gone quickly. I have a large “old school” style that you use rock salt but I have never broken it out since I got this. Too much work.

I have the 1.5 Qt. version of this and I can attest that it works beautifully. I have become a master of fruit sorbets. Whether making sorbet or ice cream, once the machine is done you will then need to temper the product for several hours in the freezer. Just put it into an airtight container and pop it into the freezer. Overnight is ideal. Then it will be just perfect.

Super simple basic vanilla ice cream!

I use this very easy recipe for basic vanilla ice cream:

• 4 ½ cups milk (you can use low fat or whole)
• sucralose (equivalent to 1 1/8 cup sugar)
• 2 tablespoons of vanilla extract

With this you have a low fat and no added sugar ice cream that tastes pretty good. Also if you use liquid sucralose, you do not even have to mix the ingredients (saving a lot of clean-up). Just a simple add to the cool bowl and turn ice cream maker on. I have the exact same ice cream maker.

I can’t listen to the video where I am, but I don’t see the guy putting ice and rock salt into the outer sleeve of this machine, like every other ice cream machine I’ve ever used. Does the machine itself have some kind of refrigeration technology to draw the heat out of the mix?

No it does not. You pre-cool the “freezer bowl” first. This is used to cool off the mix.

The interior bucket is frozen overnight, so that is where the chilling comes from.

I own one of these units, and my recommendation is you’ve got to chill the ingredients prior to making ice cream or you’ll never get past a super soft “soft serve” consistency. My recommendation is to make sure the bucket is frozen solid and then put the ingredients in the freezer such that they’re almost frozen before you start the machine and you’ll be in good shape.

I’ve had the 1.5qt version for more than a couple of years (5ish), still works great. I bought this 2qt version for my sister as a housewarming gift a couple of years ago also. This one freezes better and faster than the smaller version. You can make wonderful amazingly tasty ice cream with this machine and know exactly what went in it. I made my sister some egg-free fresh fig ice cream when she was pregnant for example, and I’ve made watermelon basil sorbet (dairy-free) as well. I highly recommend Ben & Jerry’s homemade ice cream cookbook to go with it as well.

I’m diabetic, and when I make ice cream or sorbet I just replace sugar with splenda and it works just fine. Milk and Cream both contain sugar (lactose), so it’s not entirely sugar free, but it’s as low sugar as you can get for real ice cream.

Just a heads up: real ice cream contains eggs and heavy cream, so just because it’s low sugar doesn’t mean it’s low calorie, and fat can be a problem for diabetics as well because diabetics are more prone to heart disease.