Davis Family Vineyards White - 4 Pack

I’m pretty new to this game, but the Davis Family Pinot Noir from the last offering was excellent.

I have, multiple times…sigh :slight_smile:

The vineyard is in the Russian River valley in Northern California. They are having a lot of trouble between the vineyards and water withdrawls impacting salmon populations. They are not certified fish friendly by NOAA. And I read their name in an article where, Guy Davis, the owner of this vineyard, is the manager of another vineyard that is embroiled in some controversy over water withdrawls.

I am passing on this woot.

WD,
If we have a change of address do we just fill out the labrat form again with the new address? THANKS.

There are more politics involved with the Russian River (all California water resources really), and NOAA then there are grains of sand on the Russian River. I wouldn’t let NOAA grandstanding hold up the purchase of a bottle of wine, it’s a bit extreme IMHO.

I trust then, that you are also passing on all woots of wine from the Napa and Sonoma Valleys then, where the salmon runs have been completely decimated by agricultural activities in the watershed?

Better not buy any wine from the Willamette Valley either. Also wines from eastern Washington are also out of the question.

I also assume that you do not purchase any food products that are produced in the Central Valley in California.

From what I understand, Guy Davis in addition to producing fine wine, is not insensitive as regards the environment, and the proposed winery that I believe you are referring to will be solar powered, use recycled materials, and use less water than any winery of its size in North America.

Most everything that humans create on this planet involve some compromises. We are not talking about some mass produced large scale operation here! There is a lot of politicking going on in the area, and without a much deeper knowledge of the particulars in this matter I do not believe that it is proper to publicly question someone’s integrity.

… so, count me in!

Davis Family Vineyards White 4 Pack
First sucker: jokomon
Speed to first woot: 4m 2.407s
Last wooter to woot: greggarcia

Plain and simple this winery and the winemaker rock! Guy and his wife are some of the nicest people you will ever meet in wine country. I have visited this winery numerous times (including this past weekend) and the wines are superb across the board. The Cuvee Lake is my friends favorite white right now and the Horseshoe Bend Pinot is my fave red with the Soul Patch Pinot a very close second (I don’t drink many whites). Have purchased futures from Davis Family 3 years running now and have never been disappointed with any of their offerings. This is a great deal on some great wines…period. And make sure you take the time to visit the winery in Healdsburg…it’s a must do if you’re in the area…

My guess is the sewage from the towns along the river as well as their water diversions for drinking water (Lake Sonoma Dam) and the addition of chloramine to treated water has a much greater impact than all the wineries.

I was hoping for a review of the Luke Cuvee. Interesting blend of grapes.

I think someone may have inquired this and I missed the answer… But what are the recommended drinking windows on these? I think I remember someone saying they could stand a year or two, but are they drinkable now or would that be before their prime? Would hate to buy it only to open it too early…

Also looking for a reason to pass this up, all the comments have been so positive that big button is getting harder to resist.

WOW - Just came in from the vineyard and saw all the activity today - thanks for all the support and kind words! Below is attached the description of the Cuvee Luke that Robert Parker wrote which someone was asking about…Robert Parker:
>
> Davis Family Vineyards 2008 Cuvee Luke -
>
> The excellent 2008 Cuvee Luke is a white Rhone Ranger blend of 49%
> Roussanne, 37% Marsanne, and 14% Viognier. Aromas of nectarine, apricot,
> white peach, and a hint of lychee are all present in this fleshy,
> medium-bodied, surprisingly elegant and pure, dry white wine. It offers
> unlimited match-up possibilities with food. Enjoy it over the next 1-2
> years. ~~Robert Parker

and here’s the scoop on my views of the environment and conservation as it applies to grape growing…I have farmed organic since I planted our Estate vineyards 15 years ago, we are 2 years into a 4 year plan to be Certified Biodynamic, my youngest son’s High School is a working Biodynamic Farm…We Dry Farm (no irrigation other than the winter rains) all the Zinfandel every year and teach and have been educating other growers on water conservation and sustainable farming since being elected to the Board of the Russian River Valley Winegrowers 6 years ago -in over 20 years of growing grapes I have never used a pesticide, insecticide, herbicide or any other foreign substance in the vineyard - we do not use water for frost protection, we practice non-till farming to avoid any erosion or sedimentation - This is not a place for political debate but know that the wines you get from me are handcrafted wines, made by my oldest son and I, from very earth friendly farming, in the truest sense of the phrase. Thanks again for all your support and kind words -

I was looking for a reason and I got "Too yummy to pass up - you’d hate yourself if you missed out. " I had to open up one of the pinots I bought last time to find a reason. That also fails, so I’m in for one today with the hope that the black tie will not call my name.

Well with that and the reply from the winery I am in for one! Thanks :slight_smile:
Still a bit curious about that recommended drinking window… But sounds like it got good reviews as is…

A girl knows she is in trouble when wine woot is taking paycheck priority over new (and actually needed) shoes…

Excellent! Thank you for all that info. Many years ago I had the privilege of spending some time on a Demeter Biodynamic farm when I was involved in the natural foods business. Some very interesting conceptual differences as compared to Organics… and I met some really good people. I very much enjoyed your Pinot Noir, and I’m looking forward to trying these wines too!

Has anybody else opened the Cote Rose to find “off flavors?” Normally, I’m a big rose fan, from the Nimes area of France particularly, but this one tasted like lighter fluid and burned raisins. Completely undrinkable. My tasting notes are one word: “shudder-ry.” Save for one sip, the entire bottle was poured down the drain.

I simply cannot imagine that this was the flavor profile that the winemaker intended and suspect I got a bad bottle. A rare occurrence in all my wine.woot purchases.

In fact, it was so spectacular in its awfulness that I don’t know whether I’m particularly keen on chasing down a replacement. But before I contact service@woot.com I thought I’d see if anyone else had experienced the same thing.

I just checked in on this thread to see how people liked the rosé. We just drank it last week, and I didn’t care for it at all, neither did my wife. Usually I think I’ve liked rosé just fine, but this didn’t work at all for me. After reading your post I’m wondering if something was off?

I’m going to join the chorus of not enjoying the Rose as well. The Viognier was fine though.