Dell Precision 3520 15" FHD 512GB Workstation

Dell Precision 3520 15" FHD 512GB Workstation

Little pricey don’t you think monkey? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

Yeah, maybe a bit…But that 3 year warranty from Dell isn’t a cheap add-on. I think I paid like $170 or so for that on my last reconditioned Dell which pushed it to about $700 and it had 8gb ram, 256gb ssd, and no discreet video card.

It’s a good deal. The same laptop with same specs on Dell’s Outlet site is $1147
https://outlet.us.dell.com/ArbOnlineSales/Online/SecondaryInventorySearch.aspx?c=us&cs=28&l=en&s=dfb&sign=PXhcOSHtr1T4IOw%2FPR7UdYpujQB4BG0oRXnfDdhGkxPflHcpol2LQ47uLyrgheGI5TZh2Pm2wUzHDx3JRfQ81zpuj30D7Reh5JKeGhtvkf9oBq9Y%2B7wk3oPYdmadAne2rtJufyUJAwnJKtegBFvLnwGGPRZ70TiTex7HXyy4nHJinVaQDjVD8InSCQMa70ULKkinf8i7WBkH0cBVPy9cLZ1zQGqxoOw5OF92IdvRkAq4%2FTegYiWdSA%3D%3D

Right. Because the rate of failures are so high, Dell knows it probably will be coming back for warranty service.

If it were reliable, an extended warranty probably would not be needed.

Next.

1 Like

Most of the Dell Enterprise level hardware comes standard with 3yrs Onsite NBD warranty, you can then push it to 7 years in most cases. We use it everyday on our hundreds of workstations, servers, storage, networking equipment, etc. We always start at 5yrs NBD onsite ProSupport unless its a laptop then we get ProSupport Plus since it includes accident coverage. That can sometimes add $800 onto a laptop’s price (and that is with our ~60% government discount).

1 Like

I don’t usually comment, but this doesn’t seem like much of a deal. Granted, the (new) comps on the Dell site are lacking here or there, but are cheaper (and new). shrug

It’s worth pointing out that these are functionally new. They were purchased in-bulk with a specific software package, but the order was cancelled. Dell took the units and re-imaged them with a regular software package. Until now, they’ve never even left a Dell facility.

2 Likes

Dell’s are notorious for overheating. Pass for that price

1. this is the Precision mobile Workstation.
  2. people who compare Dell being notorious for overheating with this, those are consumer grade laptop. A lot of People failed to understand the difference of Business System and consumer system.
    Be an informed consumer is great. Using the correct comparison is however critical.
    The serviceability and parts availability of a consumer computer is just no comparison to a business computer .
    Dell Latitude and Precision are good. I am not saying that there would never be any defect, but this has the 3 years Dell NBD onsite warranty.
  3. The majority of people don’t know the difference between Support and warranty of Business product and consumer product. The difference is night and day. For that only reason, I only buy business computer product, no consumer computer product.
3 Likes

I’ll have to say I used to use Dell precisions almost exclusively at my old job. I really don’t have anything bad to say about them, and something with these specs 5 years ago would have been $5000. They did tend to get hot; but never shut down from overheating. If I was in the market for a laptop I’d be buying this; especially after blaculadave’s comment. These are basically brand new and priced out over at Dell on one of their perpetual “sales” it’s $1500 for the SAME exact thing. Precision 3520 List Price $2,300.43 Savings $805.15 Shipping Free Dell Price $1,495.28

1 Like

I kinda like the specs, but don’t think the USB-C connections actually function as Thunderbolt-3 devices (say Sonnet or similar eGPU enclosures). Anyone here know any different?

“… '60s NASA guys with horn-rimmed glasses, black skinny ties and the white short-sleeved shirts…”

And slide rules. You forgot slide rules.

2 Likes

But once you open the lid, you’re treated to a full HD glossy display with brilliant colors that nicely complements the laptop’s other forward-looking features, including PCI NVM.e hard drive options and support for Thunderbolt 3 and USB-C.

1 Like

I dunno…Have had 5 Dell laptops over the years and the only one I ever had a problem with didn’t develop an issue until 4 or 5 years in and that was after I lugged the thing all over the world. I guess everyone’s mileage may vary.

1 Like

This thing is worth about $150.00. Fools save your money.

If we’re fools, why would we take your advice?

In for one. I’ve been looking for something robust enough to do photo processing in Lightroom on occasion, and odd jobs in between. This should do nicely, and the better build quality suits my lifestyle. Mud is occasionally present.

1 Like

Inspiron products are comparatively crap. Latitude and precision? I have a few precision towers that have been running 24x7 with fairly (for workstation grade hardware) intensive instances of SQL server for almost 3 years with 0 issues. Latitude laptops running smaller copies of the same SQL instances for the same time, no issues. And a precision that acts as a hub for complex aircraft sensor data wih a total db size of about 12gb of aircraft sensor data going back 15 years… And it’s been running 24x7 for 4 years. Dells business class hardware is amazing. I won’t use anything else. If I had a spare $980, I’d buy one. Hell at this price I’d buy 2 if I could. This is easily a $1000 laptop in terms of hardware power, with a $200-300 warranty thrown in. Totally worth it.

2 Likes