Derby #33 Cyberpub: We've got it

Off-topic? Yeah right. As always, friendly derby discussion is always welcome.

In A.D. 2101
War was beginning.
Captain: What happen ?
Mechanic: Somebody set up us the bomb.
Operator: We get signal.
Captain: What !
Operator: Main screen turn on.
Captain: It’s You !!
Cats: How are you gentlemen !!
Cats: All your base are belong to us.
Cats: You are on the way to destruction.
Captain: What you say !!
Cats: You have no chance to survive make your time.
Cats: HA HA HA HA …
Captain: Take off every ‘zig’ !!
Captain: You know what you doing.
Captain: Move ‘zig’.
Captain: For great justice.

(from the American release of Zero Wing, a Japanese Sega Genesis game)

DIREC-shuns for 33:

Most of us have some favorite lyrical snippet that we’ve slapped all over our high school yearbooks and MySpace pages. Now it’s time to slap it on your chest, in graphic form. Illustrate a choice line, or verse, or more. You should be reasonably certain that more than ten people will have heard the song. Claiming that your little brother’s band does a song about Calvinball isn’t going to fool the moderators.

The title of your entry should be “Inspired By (Insert Song Title)”. This will make it easier on voters and moderators. It’s ugly, but if your shirt wins, we’re going to have to change the title before we sell it anyway. Also, make sure you tell us in the entry discussion thread specifically what lyrics you’re talking about.

No text this week. Putting actual lyrics on your shirt is stealing somebody else’s work. Illustrating those lyrics is being “inspired by” someone else’s work. See how that works?

Oooh, a bit of cross-posting action. Does that make this more official now?

I try :slight_smile:

Actually, as I posted in the other side, most of my entries can be linked with songs, so we could have resubmission-mania- especially for those folks who placed high in the last few derbies (if I see Cho’s damn octopus again, “inspired by the Syd Barret song Octopus”, I’m gonna trow-up).

How to do it:

Take an old entry- let’s say my Road Runner mechanart.
Search on google “roadrunner lyrics”
Find “Modern Lovers - Roadrunner”
Post old design under that song title…

Bleah… now I don’t like the theme at all…

I’m just happy I have something to work with right off the bat, then I can sketch some others up in between

I might do one really off kilter- Lucretia My Reflection by Sisters of Mercy: A zombie woman’s reflection in a mirror…

I’m gonna go for lunch and talk to the hubby about ideas.

Oh and spryte, awesome game reference this week L O L

I was actually thinking about this. I don’t think Cho specifically would pull it, since he’s a wizard and doesn’t need to fall back on that kind of ploy, but I can see plenty of it happening.

Probably not, but I’m tired of the octopus. It’ll be interesting to see what happens in the first hour of submissions…

No, flowers. Octopus’ Garden.

Heh, thanks. The title was going to be “We get off-topic,” which of course is a reference to this. I decided I liked the game text better. :slight_smile:

Oh man, a song just came on my iTunes that would make a very not PG-13 shirt, lol. HWC by Liz Phair. Before you go look it up, lyrics NSFW, which is why there’s no link to a YouTube video here.

I love her, but no, that song probably wouldn’t cut it. Same for F**k and Run… (EDIT: Or Flower… yikes)

How about I’m ** Matt Damon/Ben Affleck?

Dang… I want to do an Ewok blowing out birthday candles (“Ewok Celebration”), but that’s probably copyrighted…

Yeah no Star Wars.

I believe da woot gods have said they reserve the right to reject resubs if they aren’t changed in any way. I love the octopus, wish it had place over his other two but I really wanted that dragon this week. Dang it.

And there are so many songs about kissing, being kissed, etc that kenny should be in pucker heaven. (Hey Kenny, try Lita Ford’s “kiss this!”)

I wish I could find a way to work iGeneration by MC Lars into a shirt. :slight_smile: Can’t think of a way without having to worry about copyright and text.

on the dresser, on the floor, on a towel by the door…

How many “domo aragato mr. roboto” shirts will we be seeing this week?

Heh I thought Lucas disowned the Christmas special. I would buy. :slight_smile: