Derby entry comments for Derby #130: Nightmares

I Like it except for the “cloud hat”

kind of sort of similar. Right? Right?

I love this!

So this is based off of a nightmare that my best friend had.

he was stuck in the middle.

asr

Meh. Not really. The only similarity is the Grim Reaper figure as a child, and that’s about it; the “children” are not even drawn the same way.

But this derby isn’t “things you’d be scared to stumble upon in real life”. By that standard, most t-shirts on here, or any website for that matter, could be construed to be nightmares. Most t-shirts woot, Threadless and the like are rooted in some kind of fantasy, which in turn would be strange or scary if they were real.

the handcuffs on the floor are AWESOME!!!

Nice work. The details coming out of the edges of the dream are a great touch.

Agreed. That’d be an awkward explanation to have to provide. Plus, the bar itself just looks strange. I agree that adding some boxers would get the message across and fix those issues.

I’d also like to add that the faces seem to be barely visible from the shirt comp.

He’d have to be on shrooms to hallucinate such a superior 'stache.

Beetle Juice. Beetle Juice. Beetle Juice!

I like the idea, it’s certainly on theme (I love that the balloon is wearing a night cap) and, everything is really well rendered, but personally I’d like to see the balloon either already popped (with ‘border’ lines indicating where it was) or popping in the dream. Maybe with some motion lines indicating movement for the needle? Or a hand holding the needle? Though I’m not sure how that would do for scale…

Anyway, even if you don’t plan on changing anything, you have my vote. The balloon in a night cap is somehow really cute.

doh This just got scarier. I didn’t even catch the whole likeness at first. Now that I see it, the hat actually makes this for me.

derivative, chibi eyes, furry animal, what else am i missing?

That’s a cat, bro.

Friggin’ awesome! When will it be coming to the big screen? Saw “Pixar” in the credits…

btw, the video in the link was kinda fuzzy - is there a clearer version out there somewhere?

The rejection is not a total surprise. The reason given is Potty Humor. I cannot say I would wear the shirt to church, but I do not feel it is offensive.

Also, last I checked, there is a non-rejected design with an actual potty on it…

this is awesome.

a very nice drawing

Thanks for your comments. The balloon’s tail is fanning behind him like he is running from the needle.