Derby Preview #744: Retro Future

Did you catch our update? If not, you can read it here!

The theme this week is retrofuturism.. Your design must depict a retro idea of what the future would look like. Put yourself in the past and think about the future.

No real politics, but fictional politics are allowed. No cream shirts. As always, trademarked franchises or brands must be parodied or done in your own fan art style. No logos, no copyrighted material, yada, yada, you know the drill. No names of real people, no realistic depictions of real people. Any questions?

*This Derby begins MONDAY January 13th at 8pm, CST. & ends MONDAY January 20th at 8pm, CST. The three winning designs will be featured as the Daily offers Tuesday - Thursday. Great designs that don’t win may be included in an Editor’s Choice sale each Friday, so be sure to check back and see who makes the cut!

Please be sure to email your artwork to derby@woot.com as soon as you submit!

If you want to submit any off-topic designs, submit here!

If you are new to the derby and want to participate, WELCOME! Also, please check out our full derby guidelines over here!

You can also download updated templates for your artwork over here . Happy designing!

If you like it, then you better put some gears in it… oh oh oh, oh oh oh

1 Like

Hi! Tryin’ to get in on my first derby. Are the dates listed above the voting window? If so, am I correct in my understanding that the deadline would be 24 hours before the start of the derby? Thanks for clarification for this beginner

There isn’t a deadline, the way you’re thinking of it I believe. Monday, Jan 13 8pm CST is when this Retro Future derby will start. Any time after that, you can post your design into the derby, by clicking the “submit a derby entry” link, like this:
At this time, you want to email the print art to Woot, so they have whatever they need. People can vote for your design any time between that, and when the derby ends, at 8pm CST the following Monday. Then winners and editor’s choices get picked and printed. Hope that helps, and good luck!

2 Likes

Are we okay with Steampunk? It’s a subset of Retro Futurism, but the derby might be more of a 50s rocketship sort of expectation.

2 Likes

Steampunk is just one facet, I think they are trying to keep it far more open than just “putting some gears, googles and monocles” on everything.

I was really trying to think about the concept of retrofuturism this morning, put it into words in my head.

1. Taking something from the past and making it seem more advanced or futuristic than it actually was.
  2. Taking some current technology and making it have the aesthetic of being from the past.
  3. Using an aesthetic from one time period to illustrate something from another. This is one of the most commonly used concepts of retro futurism, but is the most difficult to defend for this derby. Simply drawing a Norman Rockwell kid with a Gameboy may not technically be retrofuturism; even though the internet might try to convince you otherwise.

I enjoyed googling retro futurism on google image search. There are some amazing artists out there.

Yes we are ok with Steampunk!

2 Likes

Here is some more to wet your whistle…

If “ futurism is sometimes called a ‘science’ bent on anticipating what will come, retrofuturism is the remembering of that anticipation.

My submission for next week. What do you guys think? Does it have enough gears to be steampunk?

3 Likes

This is my take this week , fictional casual family restaurant founded by Gus Fring now go very far away c ;p

Needs more batman… LOL