Derby Preview #779: Fall

PSL’s (limit these), cats, Autumn leaves, cats…all the things we love about Fall!

Since the designs will be so varied, I’m going to try something new this week. I’m going to let you pick the second product your design will be on…if you wish to! Your options are:

Aprons
Posters
Metal Posters
Tote Bags
Accessory Pouches
Drawstring backpack
Fanny Packs
Tea Towels
Blankets
Throw Pillows (think sofa size OR large floor pillows)
Pet Beds (not a big mover, so make it special!)

To choose your product, submit a mock up on your chosen product in your Derby entry mock up thumbnail. You also have the option to submit a second piece of artwork for your chosen product if you submit it as a regular submission through the portal and name your design using the following convention: “CHOOSE: [product type] [design name]”.

Any questions?

No politics, no cream shirts.

*This Derby begins MONDAY September 14th at 8pm, CST. & ends MONDAY September 21th at 8pm, CST. The three winning designs will be featured as the Daily offers Tuesday-Thursday. Great designs that don’t win may be included in an Editor’s Choice sale on Friday, so be sure to check back and see who makes the cut!

Please be sure to have your artwork ready to submit with your entry as part of the new submission process!

If you want to submit any off-topic designs, submit here!

If you are new to the derby and want to participate, WELCOME! Also, in addition to the rules above please check out our content guidelines here so you know what works and what doesn’t over here at Woot!

You can also download updated templates for your artwork over here . Happy designing

1 Like

woo! this is cool!!!

1 Like

Do any of these products ship internationally :frowning:

:disappointed_relieved: :sleepy: :sob:

I take that as a no :frowning:

I’m sorry, we’re just not set up to handle international shipping on these items just yet.

What apron colors are available?

The whole background is printed, so any! You could use the shirt colors as a starting point though.

You can also make all-over repeats

2 Likes

Sadly…I had some Aussie folks who really wanted my “Shrimp on the Barbie” design.

Do you have another shop somewhere to hawk your designs?
I use Teepublic for mine.
They have a lot of different products to put your stuff on…

Have done some stuff with Redbubble, but they don’t market their products very well. What has been your experience with TeePublic?

Our shirts ship internationally, just not the other products like blankets, totes etc.

1 Like

They don’t market well either, you need to do most of the leg work. But I make maybe a hundred bucks a year, and I don’t market AT ALL. So the sales come from randos seeing my stuff. Which is actually pretty good if you think about how many designs are on there.

1 Like

OK, just a few questions.

1. We design on a shirt and ONE other item in the comp right?
  2. The design on the two items should be virtually the same design, right?
  3. Pumpkin Spice designs are fine, you are just hoping that the entire derby isn’t about that, right?
  4. Cats are allowed, right?
  5. We should try to avoid designs that are Thanksgiving or Halloween, right?
  6. Animated gifs are allowed in the thumbnail and/or comp, right?
  7. We should pick ONE background color per design, or several? Remember people are voting, so if there are 3 colors on the comp, is woot planning on printing them on all three colors if it wins?
  1. We design on a shirt and ONE other item in the comp right?

KS: I suppose you could add more products into the comp image, but then your mock-up would get pretty busy and probably wouldn’t do a good job of selling the design to the customer.

1. The design on the two items should be virtually the same design, right?

KS: That’s up to you. IT would be a good idea to make them coordinate so the customer wants to buy both rather than just 1?

1. Pumpkin Spice designs are fine, you are just hoping that the entire derby isn’t about that, right?

KS: Exactly. Only has so much runway.

1. Cats are allowed, right?

KS: You’re trolling me.

1. We should try to avoid designs that are Thanksgiving or Halloween, right?

KS: Up to you, but historically we have a Halloween and a Thanksgiving Derby, so you may want to save those designs for those derbies?

1. Animated gifs are allowed in the thumbnail and/or comp, right?

KS: IF it’s bad I will take it down. But yes they are allowed. It should enhance your entry though, not just because someone else did it.

1. We should pick ONE background color per design, or several? Remember people are voting, so if there are 3 colors on the comp, is woot planning on printing them on all three colors if it wins?

KS: If it made sense to print on all 3 colors I would. But so far I haven’t ever done that. Again, it’s up to you, but the more space you take up in your mock up the more crowded and confusing it looks for the customer. To me it makes sense to put your best foot forward on the best color - make the decision easy for the customer. Don’t give them analysis paralysis because they can’t actually have a say on the color it prints on. So, it’s up to you.

HA! Sry. I know these questions might seem a bit much in light of the FB convo the other day. But I also know that ppl will get worked up Monday night when they see some “shenanigans”
I hope this helps the designers a bit. Honestly, that is truly at the root of these questions, I promise…

I can’t help but throw at least one red herring in there… It’s in my nature

1 Like

Could someone point to the mockups for the pouches? And other non-tee items? Thanks!

There aren’t any, you can see what they look like from past events. We’d rather you focus on designing for the shirt, but if you’d like to modify your design for the other items, you are welcome to.