Gateway 11.6” Netbook

I’d buy one if they had a Red model … black is so '00s. Where’s the red?!

Keeps on waiting

As long as it’s the same (or is compatible with the) part number that I mentioned above, then it should be fine. Acer owns Gateway (or the other way around, I forget), so it’s very well possible that some of the batteries are the same between certain models from Gateway and Acer.

The picture of the battery on the web sites that call it the Acer replacement battery for that part number looks identical to the original one I have for my Gateway.

As others have mentioned, with Win7 or Linux, you can easily get at least 4 hours with normal wifi web surfing usage and even longer without wifi.

6 cell battery…

Thus the reason these are refurbished…

I got this late last year on Woot, and it’s pretty nice. My one remaining gripe is that the space bar is too wide to the left and I hit it instead of the Alt key.

I’ve re-mapped the righthand ctrl and alt keys to “home” and “end” because I use those a lot and it’s a real pain in the ass to use the “fn” key modifier along with shift or ctrl to get to the beginning or end of a page or line respectively.
I don’t much care for the flat-topped keys, I’d rather they were beveled a bit.

I wish the touch pad had a little more space between it and they keyboard, but that’s a minor complaint.
It runs pretty warm, the cooling fan will run pretty much continuously.

It doesn’t have much video horsepower, but can manage SD youtube stuff pretty well.

Windows 7 Ultimate runs like a champ on it.

Battery life is decent. No, the Aspire One batteries are not compatible, but they do use the same charger. My girlfriend got the 10" Aspire, and I’m glad I got the larger screen, hers drives me nuts.

Yeah, forgot about that, it is annoying, and takes too much pressure to click. I guess I’ve finally gotten used to it enough that it’s not my top complaint.

As far as Aspire One battery compatibility goes, it would be the 11.6" (not 10") Aspire One model batteries thatwould be compatible with this Gateway model. At least that’s what I gather from googling “UM09B71”.

I rarely use the button bar to left-clicking. I almost always use a touchpad tap for that. Now right clicking is a different story of course…

NO, THE ASPIRE ONE BATTERIES WILL NOT FIT! My girlfriend has an Aspire and I tried for yuks, no dice.

Correction: As noted above the 11.6" Aspire models may be compatible. The GF has the 10" one.

Uh, sure, you go right ahead and give that a shot. Good luck, let us know how that goes.

Excellent story/sales copy. Hah, Google and LJ.

Just ordered 1, I wish I had $ to order another! Sweet rig :slight_smile:

Bigger screen, 2x the RAM, larger hard drive

oh and a 6-cell battery vs a 3-cell

So is this machine fast enough with 7 and for Word/Excel use and web surfing? Thanks much!

Yup, no problem.

Few questions I wonder if some of the community might be able to help with. I have thought about getting a laptop, but my tower is too nice and I don’t need a full powered laptop.

One thing I wouldn’t mind having something like this for is to make minor website changes without going to the basement to work on the tower, so I am guessing something like this would have the power to run some basic web design software… Dreamweaver like programs, but could it handle something like Fireworks or more to extreme Photoshop? I am hoping it might doing light tasks, not working with too many files at one time and so on.

To upgrade this to Windows 7 would I need an external drive?

Dork question - would it be capable of running something like WOW, even if from an external drive and on low settings? Not looking to run raids or anything, but minor stuff like letting my kid(s) run around the open world a little or checking the auction house… If you don’t know for sure, just ignore this question (or flame away about my dorkiness.)

Wow! Great deal! Ima gonna get thr…

Oh, Windows Vista. Never mind.

I think most software would work pretty well on it. I haven’t installed Photoshop on it yet, but the extra horsepower over the Atom and the 64-bit capabilities will probably help something like Photoshop run better.

IMHO I think it should do quite well for your tasks.

When upgrading my Windows partition to Windows 7, I simply copied the contents of the Win7 installation DVD to a USB flash drive, made the drive bootable, and then booted to it and ran the upgrade from there. Supposedly you can also use a USB cdrom drive, but I had no luck booting with the one I had (an older Creative cd-rw drive).

Regarding gaming, I can’t say for sure how well it will run something like WoW. I mostly use mine for web browsing, web development stuff, and other light tasks. From what I understand though, the GPU is more powerful than the GPU chipset used with many of the Atoms (i.e. GMAxxx).

After some googling, there isn’t a consensus regarding how well it performs with WoW on any graphics settings. You’ll just have to try it out for yourself I guess.

EDIT: I will say however, if you do install Windows 7, be sure to grab the latest ATI drivers for the GPU (X1270). IMHO, it provides much better performance and more GPU settings that you can tweak.

I got this last wootoff, totally lovin’ it.

“To upgrade this to Windows 7 would I need an external drive?” Yup, but I did mine with a 4 gig thumb drive, to Win 7 64.

I was pleasantly surprised to find mine came with a wireless n card instead of g. And it picks up a signal very well.

I can successfully use setfsb to increase the speed to 1.6 for watching hulu. Others report they can only go to 1.4, depending on the exact model.

There were reports you could upgrade the memory by replacing the 2 gb ram chip to a four gb ‘mouser’ ram chip, but they had no more specifics than that.