Imported Greek Olive Mix

You could soak them in some water and let osmosis draw the salt out.

Unless of course there is an ingredient in the flavor or seasoning of the olives that has gluten. I wouldn’t be so quick to write off the celiac’s question.

Hey Woot,

“Ingredients”

Just sayin’.

Typically, this works the other way. Sodium attracts water toward it. Of course there are membrane transport issue that affect this process. But for the most part soaking a salt load olive in water would pull water into the olive, not the other way around. However, you may still accomplish the end-point of reducing overall saltiness.

I can’t say for sure, but I turned up a site on how to cure olives that says “Clean, 5-gallon plastic buckets with lids can effectively store about 20 pounds of olives.” About 5 gallons for about 20 pounds –> about 1 gallon for about 4 pounds; it’s a sizable fridge commitment, but it should fit anywhere you’d keep a gallon jug of milk, I think.

If my husband liked olives, I’d be all over this. I’m still tempted.

You can read 'em off the big pics if you squint.

Ingredients: Greek olives, Peppers, Lemon, Oregano, Savoury, Brine, Extra virgin olive oil

I like to eat olives but rarely buy them at the store myself. Can someone comment on the price? Is this a good deal?

None of the ingredients they provide have gluten, either (savory, by the way, is a mint flavor, I believe).

Most local grocers have olive bars that run $6.99 a lb.

1.8 kg = 1800g = 63.4 oz = 3lb-15.4oz = 3.96 lb

So each container from the “bar” would be ~$28.

And when you finish them, you can build your own tiny rain barrel for your kids’ green doll house.

I’ve spent several years visiting this region in Greece and have brought back olives with me every time I go. I can answer a few of these questions.

How long do they last? A very, very long time. As in, almost indefinitely. Just keep them covered in brine, and they’ll be fine. The only thing that will change is the texture, but that could easily take a year or two to make a noticeable difference.

Is there a difference between pitted and non-pitted? Slight, but the pitting process does split the fruit and will cause that texture changing process while in the brine to accelerate. They’ll still last a long time, just that they’ll get softer faster.

Kosher? No idea, but the factories that process these usually only process olives and oil from those olives, so I can’t imagine that it’d be a problem (although not sure if the Kosher process involves much more than that).

This is a good buy; it costs me almost this much when I’m there, and I have to arrange for return shipping back. If I didn’t already have a solid supply, I’d add to it.

I’ve been to Kalamata Greece, and have seen the olive trees, and the packing of the fresh olives. This is the real deal, and the taste should be amazing…

Are you by any chance referring to the greek deli on 19th street in Washington, DC?

I am. I could eat a gyro platter from there every day for the rest of my life and die a very, very happy fat man. In fact, I think I know what I’m having for lunch today.

Unless they were in a vinegar brine. Vinegar can be made from apples (gluten free), grapes (gluten free), or barley malt (contains gluten).

They may also have been processed in a plant where wheat or other gluten containing products are processed and have a risk of cross contamination.

I’m just saying…

Because then divorce lawyers would be hurting for business, THAT’S WHY. Do your part to stimulate the economy, adulterate your olives!

it’s all the adultery talk

That’d be a heck of a dollhouse if it was to scale, but I love the idea. Now get to work on solar panels!

Yay! Olives! In for two… Thank you, woot! gods for returning Food Fridays to us…

If only. You get ONE container for your 25 bucks. Not both. I can’t possibly see the need for so many olives in one go when I can get just how many I need at the local olive bar.