Juan Valdez Pod Coffee Maker

Just bought this on the last woot off. It came defective (leaked all over the place from the base). Woot is sending a replacement, so we’ll see how it works.

The pods are easy to find because it is a universal pod system. The most common and usable pod is the melitta pod which can be found at most Target stores, and easily found online.

I had one of these for 3 years and started to leak. Replaced with with a Melita and am less satisfied for various small reasons. I miss my JV.

The BEST pods for this maker (and the Melita) are from javapodz.com. YUM.

I see the spout can be repositioned - will it work with something as large as a travel mug?

Can you use the k-cups for this?

it should work fine with a travel mug, the spout is gravity-fed so it doesn’t care how big the container is, just as long as it is lower than the pod.
During initial setup you have to run all 40oz of water through the maker to prime the pump, and I used a 4 cup measuring bowl with no problem.

Anyone know if this will work in this coffee maker? singleservecoffee.com - singleservecoffee Resources and Information.

I had the same problem with the Senseo Pod at first, but found that carefully placing the pod into the holder and rotating it into place (so that the paper edges of the pod are vertical to the edge instead of overlapping) has fixed the leaking problem. It wasn’t making a good seal when closed because of the overlap on the pod edging.

I’ve been sticking to the “1 pod per serving” so far. I’ve tried getting more than 1 8oz serving and it gets incredibly weak on the 2nd cup. Maybe 2 5oz servings would work better?

The beauty of this thing is you’re talking less than a minute to make a cup of coffee, and it’s extremely easy to do. “User intervention” seems a bit drastic, the use of the machine is likely less time-involving than setting up a traditional maker the night before and hoping the coffee doesn’t go stale overnight.
It is totally different than the old 10-12 cup brewers in that the approach is one of single serving rapid dispense, not make 12 cups and hope we drink it and not waste it.
You turn the unit on, and by the time you have your mug and selected your pod it’s ready to go.
Plus, you’re not really “making” the coffee, there’s no grinding or measuring or waiting involved.
YOU DO have to maintain a proper amount of water in the tank, but it is easy to see if you’re getting low.
If you don’t use it for three days you’re supposed to prime the pump again and run the entire 40oz tank of water through it.

Well, my concerns aren’t so much born out of time considerations as much as insufferable geekness (the 24h timer was for illustration; it would really be a computer) and a desire to smell coffee when I wake up, not 2 minutes later. :smiley:

For now my fridge full of Dr. Pepper handles my morning caffeine needs, but I may pick one up anyhow; it looks like a good price.

Thanks for the reviews!

In college, I paid $15 at target for a base hot water dispenser (Hot Shot). Put the hot water in my cup, then made coffee as if it were tea. Wish they had these for this price in those days.

looks like one of those coffee makers you find at holiday inn’s and any other 3 star hotel.
meh, i dont drink coffee anyway. caffeine is really bad for you

I was JUST about to click the buy button then I saw it got shipped SmartPost. I’ve learned my lesson about them with the BOC

I ordered one of those mini RC helicopters from last week’s wootoff. It shipped Smartpost and was on my doorstep on Monday of this week! That has to be some kind of record. I do agree that normally, Smartpost takes longer than it should. Still waiting on my radio toilet paper holders however (dirty santa gifts).

I wonder how many BOCs they actually sell during a woot off?

Typically about 5k, but you can look it up in the top of the comments.

I feel tempted to buy one of these dealbreaker pod coffee makers…though there ain’t any pods available I think that are Vietnamese 3-in-1 coffee formulated. Love those “volcanic soil” grown mountain coffee…

Guess I’m stuck with these (22 sachets/22 cup bags for…$2.49). Just add hot H20!

http://www.trung-nguyen-online.com/images/G7-18-stick-3box-400.jpg

http://www.trung-nguyen-online.com/images/g7-capp-all3-500.jpg

http://www.trung-nguyen-online.com/index.html

Alright alright, I bit. I checked the retail price for any other pod coffee maker and this is a steal. Now let’s see how long it will take for SmartPost to get it to me

Does anyone know if this will work with K-Cups?

and you say your not a coffee snob

no… C cups are good though