kid books

I need to know some of your kids’ favorite books. I’m looking for a four year old and a six year old. The six year old is in first grade and really likes to read. Both girls. Not Dr. Seuss, I think they have most of those because of older sisters.

If you go to the Barnes & Noble site and then the Children’s Books section, you’ll see Awards at the bottom of the left site.

Caldecott Medal: The Caldecott Medal was named in honor of nineteenth-century English illustrator Randolph Caldecott. It is awarded annually by the Association for Library Service to Children, a division of the American Library Association, to the artist of the most distinguished American picture book for children.

Newbery Medal: The Newbery Medal was named for eighteenth-century British bookseller John Newbery. It is awarded annually by the Association for Library Service to Children, a division of the American Library Association, to the author of the most distinguished contribution to American literature for children.

Texas Bluebonnet Award: A Texas best of list that lets school children vote for the winner.

I’ve looked at some of those books before. A lot of them strike me about the same as Oscar-winning movies. Not necessarily what’s liked, but what they think should be liked.

The Bluebonnet ones are generally very good and liked by kids.

Of the Bluebonnets that I rememeber being popular: Stinky Cheese Man and Cook-A-Doodle-Doo!.

The books by Doreen Cronin and illustrated by Betsy Lewin are well liked:
[]Click, Clack, Quackity-Quack : An Alphabetical Adventure
[
]Click, Clack, Moo : Cows That Type
[*]Giggle, Giggle, Quack

Ian Falconer’s Olivia series
Anything Jan Brett
I Spy books
Walter, the Farting Dog
Diary of a Worm
Susan Meddaugh’s Martha Speaks series
Shel Silverstein’s children’s poetry books
No, David series

My son loved the Junie B. Jones series. I noticed yesterday that they’re still being produced regularly. Only problem with them for a new reader is that she doesn’t always speak correct English and they spell some word phonetically. They are very cute and funny though. Kds always loved them at the school.

He also loved being read to from these: Bill Wallace’s funny books (i.e. Snot Stew), Hank the Cow Dog, and the Wizard of Oz series (Skip #2, we read up to #18),

Thanks, I’ll look at those.

I have to second Daj’s suggestions of:
Click, Clack, Moo
Shel Silverstein (we just read Where the Sidewalk Ends to my older daughter and she loved it)
Junie B Jones

I also think:
We’re Going on a Bear Hunt
Where the Wild Things Are
Disney story collections (I am not a big fan of movies condensed to kids books, but kids like them -my daughter has a book with 7 or so stories in it)
The Knight and the Dragon (not too many words for beginning readers)
I personally liked Golden Books when I was a kid
Can’t You Sleep Little Bear
I gave my cousin’s daughter The Wind in the Willows (with CD) when she turned 6
(orc is helping me dig through the cases of books we have waiting for bookshelves)
Bernstein Bears (be kinda choosy, not all of them are good)
Arthur (be kinda choosy, not all of them are good)
George Shrinks
That’s about all I can think of without trashing the office with books. I tend to like the ones that have the Reading Rainbow approval sticker on them. Personally, I always read books (if I can) before I give them to a kid.

Right now I am reading the girls 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. I am not sure if they understand much, but they like when I read it.

I hope that helps some.

Thank you. Yes, it does.

My 7 year old really enjoys the Fairy series by Rainbow Magic. We just did a “presentation” for her class on “Sky the Blue Fairy”. I’m not sure how well the 6 year old reads, but I believe this series is 1st - 2nd grade level. As for the younger girl, I have a set of Magic Castle Readers that we loved. I just packed them away and was wondering who might want them. If you’re interested, PM me your Addy and I’ll ship them out.

Lots of these are good…we are big fans of Junie B. Even though she doesn’t speak very proper English, it is a fun way to discuss what the correct way of speaking should sound like. And she is just too funny.

Also highly recommend the Kevin Henkes mouse books: Lilly and the Purple Plastic Purse, Chrysanthemum, Sheila the Brave, Julius the Baby of the World, Owen, etc.

I’m sure I’ll think of more later…

Thanks everyone. I have quite a list to take to Borders with me. There’s a 13 year old, too, but there’s no way of picking a book for someone that age. I just take her to Borders after Christmas and say, pick a book. Then we have hot chocolate in the cafe and look at our books.

Edit: Have a 12 year old grandson, too, but, alas, not a reader. sniff

If the 13 year old is into cats, I got a lot of kids at the middle school hooked on the Warriors series by Erin Hunter (mostly girls!). It’s about a cat clan lead by a she-cat. You need to read them in order. The first one is Into the Wild There’s a box set available with the first 3 books.

Get the 12 year old a subscription to MAD magazine or a gaming magazine (depending on the video game console he has) such as Nintendo Power, Playstation Magazine, etc. At least it’s reading.

BTW, this was my favorie Junie B. Jones book at the time my son was reading them. I was laughing so hard reading it. Junie B. Jones Smells Something Fishy

The kids I know always loved Junie B Jones & Ramona Quimby. The other great thing about them, is that they are put on stage by TheatreWorks USA(http://www.theatreworksusa.org/) who tour around the country. (a lot of their shows are exclusively for schools) It is a great way to encourage them to read & introduce them to theatre.

Curious George is still popular with the younger set too.

I personally love Sandra Boynton (Sandra Boynton Introduction) and her characters & especially love her book & cd combos Philadelphia Chickens (a musical with companion cd) and Dog Train, “a wild ride on the rock-&-roll side” featuring awesome musicians:

Tantrum - Spin Doctors
Thus Quacked Zarathustra - The O.K. Chorale
Dog Train - Blues Traveler
Sneakers - Mark Lanegan
Cow Planet - Billy J. Kramer
Boring Song - Steve Lawrence & Eydie Gorme
Pots and Pans - The Bacon Brothers with Mickey Hart
I Need a Nap - Weird Al Yankovic & Kate Winslet
Evermore - Alison Krauss
Cow Planet episode 2 - Billy J. Kramer
Penguin Lament - John Ondrasik of Five For Fighting
(Don’t Give Me That) Broccoli - The Phenomenauts
Dragonfire - Rob Hyman & Eric Bazilian
Cow Planet episode 3 - Billy J. Kramer & Mootopia
Wave Bye-Bye - Doshie Luther
Rock to Sleep 54 - Hootie & the Blowfish
Dog Train Midnight Jam - John Popper & Brendan Hill

I suggest war and peace.

Thanks. I’ll check with their mom to see if they have it.

If you go to her website you can listen to clips from each of the songs, I think it is worth the purchase price for “Penguin Lament”

I gave this to a concert promoter I know when his son was born.

starts to look back, but stops to see there is alot to read

Has anyone said a wrinkle in time? Wife said that was one of her favs as a child.

I remember that book, it was a good. I think it is a bit old for the kids poof is looking to get books for though. Then again, who am I to talk. . . Daughter has heard all of the Illiad and Odyssey, all of Grimm’s Fairy Tales, Around the World in 80 Days, a few others, and we are working through 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. . … hmmm I’ll have to look for a couple of a Wrinkle in Time.

“A Wrinkle in Time” is an awesome book. I loved it!! But yeah, kind of older than Pooflady’s age group.
Daughter and I always liked “The Little Leftover Witch” but I think it is out of print now.
One of our favorite books.

These were my favorites as a kid (I’m not sure exactly when I read them when I was young so…I’m not sure if they’re too advanced or not challenging enough for your children): Cloudy With A Chance of Meatballs, Where the Wild Things Are, The Giving Tree, Where the Sidewalk Ends, and my absolute favorite: The Giver

Edit: The Giver is probably best for 10-15, it does have some tough concepts to understand…