Kindle DX Wireless Reading Device

Ask, and ye shall receive–here’s Mandy:

75%x75%

http://sale.images.woot.com/Otto_OT-6_Multimedia_Stereo_Headset_with_Boom_Mic_scgDetail.jpg[/img]

Son of a ■■■■■!

I just bought a tv, and had I not done that I would be clicking that gold button so hard I would give my mouse a hernia.

This is a hell of a deal if you just want a BIG ereader. Not a browser, or movie player, or twitter app or anything else. It’s made for reading, and it’s pretty awesome for older folks (mine would be for my mom) cause you can set the fonts pretty big.

Now matter how much one tries to sell the large screen size as “good”, the DX is a bad design choice that Amazon will quietly cover up eventually (note: the DX line does not offer touch—I am guessing it is meant to be shelved eventually, for good reason).

For anything other than perhaps magazines, the 6" screen is actually better in my experience. It offers ultra-portability (fits comfortably in your hand when walking down the street, even better than a real book) and comfort while reading (enough content on one page that page turns remain unnoticed). If you use it for a day, you will know what I mean.

Particularly if you are an academic—get the Kindle Touch double speed for the papers you have to proofread, review, or grade. You just need to learn how to put pdfs properly into the Kindle (the native reader sucks)—look online for help. Or get the Kobo touch. Or both for the price you will pay here.

For magazines and movies, you should be looking at the Fire anyway, not this.

More reviews:
Older gizmodo review

Older endgadget review:

2010 gadgeteer review:

2009 slashgear review:

tabletpc review:

http://ebook-reader-review.toptenreviews.com/kindle-dx-review.html

http://www.the-e-reader-reviews.com/kindle-dx.html

I own the first gen Kindle DX, as well as an Nook Color (comparable resolution to Kindle Fire) and a Kobo Touch.

First of all, of course it doesn’t have touch capabilities. There were no major touch e-readers on the market when this came out.

Secondly, yes, of course 6" readers are better for basic reading.

This thing was meant specifically for handling large format stuff (journal articles, etc). 7" LCDs are too small too comfortably read such articles. The iPad and comparable tablets work much better, thanks to their large screen size. But the DX still has a better resolution than even the 10" tablets.

If you want something SPECIFICALLY for reading technical books and journal articles, this thing is great.

Check Kindle 3G Coverage Here by entering city/country name.

For U.S. customers traveling abroad, additional charges only may apply for wireless delivery of periodical subscriptions. Check Kindle page on Amazon for more details.

(deleted by user)

It does work in many parts of E(gypt), Africa… not all of Bum F E(gypt), Africa however. World coverage map here… yepper, I am Captain Obvious/Sheldon tonight. :wink:

Dont waste your money. You can get the Kindle Fire for the same price.

A fairly expensive gift-item posted at the last minute, and your flagship product at that, with shipment to arrive by Christmas:

Well-played, Amazon, well-played.

I can get the newer Kindle Fire for the same price. I want to pay that much for this one why exactly?

Because this one is an e-ink display and not an LCD… and the screen is almost twice the size… and…

The Fire does not feature the e-ink technology that many find the primary appeal in using an e-reader.

But somehow I don’t think the sole company who should sell either product to you cares much about which you end up with.

I have the DX, and it’s a great reader that allows you to see stuff in context, thanks to its larger screen. I also have an iPad, and I prefer the Kindle DX for most reading.

• I don’t find the weight to be an issue; I happily read for an hour or two without noticing that it’s “too heavy” although I do shift how I hold it from time to time

• People comparing to the Fire are missing the e-ink and larger screen points.

• Books are delivered free over 3G worldwide. I was in Delhi and wanted a guidebook and it downloaded in a few seconds.

• The browser is weak, but, it does work worldwide at no incremental cost. Good for when you just have to check something.

• Delivering periodicals worldwide does have an extra fee

• The page turning buttons are on the right, but if you are left handed, just turn the DX upside down. The page flips to the new correct orientation and your buttons are on the left.

Or you can go on Amazon right now and get a Kindle touch w/ 3G for $149. Woot, you’re awesome but this isn’t a good deal.

pretty much the only reason is that this one is HUGE. like, textbook huge. and it has e-text. two things the fire doesn’t.

I just recently jumped on the Kindle bandwagon buying a Kindle Keyboard 3G during the Thanksgiving sales. Love the ereading and the bonus FREE international 3G data service which I use for (slow) email service while travelling. That’s an amazing bonus feature that many people overlook. My wife liked it so much she had me get one for her too.

Regarding the DX, I am tempted and the price is outstanding. However, one HUGE missing feature is the wifi module which is available on every other Kindle. Without this, you must use the 3G to download books and personal documents. Now downloading Amazon books is free so that’s fine, BUT there are tons of alternative ebook providers and free ebooks (not from Amazon) as well as your own personal docs (eg, PDF) that you cannot send to your DX for free via wifi. You can sideload using a USB cable but that’s a huge step backwards compared to wifi/3G. If you have to rely on 3G for non-Amazon books/docs then there is a cost (which would otherwise be free via wifi).

So I really don’t know why they removed wifi for the DX. Sad but true. Great device otherwise.

I love my regular 2nd gen Kindle. The DX is great for textbooks and stuff with diagrams that look tiny on the regular Kindle screens. Plus the e-ink is awesome. One word of warning: scratch or sit on these things and you will be very sad. The e-ink screen is unforgiving. It’s a good idea to get a cover with it.

This is the Kindle for all of us who have eyes ‘that used to work somewhat better’ but are ‘not so bad to wear glasses’ (so we say).

In good light I can read a paperback or a regular Kindle on normal font. But under a lamp only the DX is a dream - turn the font up one or 2 sizes and I still get a very decent sized page to a screen with no eyestrain at all.

…except, it is 189.00, New (not refurbished) from Amazon, and with WiFi.