Kindle DX Wireless Reading Device

I noted several comments to the negative that the DX doesn’t have touch capability. I know folks are always enthralled by the “newest” thing but people have to think about whether the feature actually adds to the experience.

Personally I have two Kindle Keyboard 3G readers. First the keyboard UI is up to the 4th generation and is very mature. The touch UI is first generation and it shows with a lot of non-intuitive gestures. Second, the eink screens were never designed to be repeatedly touched so I’m not so sure it’s a good idea to be pushing on it both for long term reliability and general cleanliness of the screen. Third, the touch is enabled via IR lights on the borders which are blocked upon “touching” the screen which triggers an action. This is bad as the IR lights will continue to shine and drain the battery while you are reading (per the Eink manufacturer) whereas non-touch eink screens are “off” while reading. Additionally, ANYTHING that blocks the IR light will trigger the screen, a cover, being placed in a book bag, a drop of water, etc. Look away and you could be 30 pages from where you were. Fourth, I think the keyboard adds an ergonomic border to the bottom edge for easier holding and which moves the screen up slightly for better viewing.

Apart from the whole touch technology, the new Touch Kindles have two other defects. First, the power button is on the bottom and can easily be accidentally triggered. Second, the 3G is limited to browsing Amazon so no more free 3G email access overseas.

The main reason Amazon added touch was to simplify international distribution of the Kindle. A hardware keyboard requires hardware localization by region and really messes up inventory and forecasting. Touch Kindles only require a software tweak hence it has already been released in Italy and Spain with more countries on the way soon.

So ultimately Amazon made a change to simplify their operations and international sales, not to improve the experience for customers. In this case, “new” does not necessarily mean “better.”

What is the difference (beside the not refurb) of this Kindle Dx and a current new one??

I meant beside the refurb…

Whoa… I’m almost tempted to buy a third DX…

I had the original white one, and then the graphite DX (the same one sold here) with the better contrast.

I love the DX, especially when reading technical books with tables, graphs, and charts which are nearly impossible on the 6" Kindle. Yes, you can read a 8.5 x 11 formatted PDF on the 6" – but you will not like it.

The Sony eReaders had somewhat better resizing support, but even then it was unpleasant.

The international 3G came in handy when I was stuck in Madrid for a few hours and didn’t want to pay 12 euros to access a wifi hotspot just to get an email out…

This is a device that you toss into your bag for two weeks at a time (before recharging) so that your entire library is always with you.

Also, if you have bad eye-sight, the ability to easily read in like 24 to 48 point font is a big plus. And then there’s text-to-speech reading too. A little cumbersome, but it does allow one to have “books on tape” while driving.

I have a new Touch, and I’ve found it to be quite intuitive over my K Keyboard, with no real gliches so far. But thank you for your feedback about the keyboard versions…trying to decide if I should get this DX or not…would love to have the bigger size also…

Woooo hoooo!
I have the smaller Kindle 2, but have been really wanting the large screen DX also!!! I can’t wait to get it. I will definitely use them both!

The Kindle’s e-ink, is sooooo much easier on eyes than the backlit screens all the other e-readers have.

I’m a photographer, so I’m very cautious with eye-strain and fatigue, since I’m either looking through a camera or at monitors editing all day.

Great Woot!

Agreed.

here is the coverage link from amazon’s page:
http://client0.cellmaps.com/tabs.html#cellmaps_intl_tab

See the thing is that for people who want to use it for reading you DON’T want a Fire or an iPad. The whole point of the Kindle ereaders is that they have the liquid paper display. Works outside in bright light and doesn’t cause eye strain. I ADORE my original Kindle (6" second gen). I read for hours some times and would never recommend any LCD display device for ereading. I take it camping, to the beach, on road trips and on our boat so the “read in bright sunlight” feature is awesome.

I saw this new for 189 at bestbuy

You’re thinking of the Kindle 3 and Kindle Touch, both of which are 189 with 3G (and without ads).

The Kindle DX is 379.00 new: http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-DX-Wireless-Reader-3G-Global/dp/B002GYWHSQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1324547968&sr=1-1

No, you saw the Kindle Touch or the Kindle Keyboard for 189.

I’ve had my Kindle Keyboard 6" for a year and it’s awesome for reading books (duh) but I use it mostly for reading blogs, magazines, columns on the web. I do this over 3G and it costs nothing. Yes, you can subscribe to certain magazines and blogs and have them delivered each day, that costs money. Or, you can surf to the web site and read it, which is free.

I use several web sites to mobile, free, web surfing. I use Skweezer.com to simplify web pages (strip out pics and ads and focus on the main body). That makes the text much easier to follow.

I also can surf the web on my laptop or desktop at home/office, send interesting web pages to myself at Instapaper and then later on my Kindle I can read those web pages in one web location.

Or, surf to Instapepr on your Kindle, iphone, Android, laptop, desktop and then click on the appropriate icon (Kindle, for example) and Instapaper will send all of the articles you’ve previously collected to your Kindle as if they are in an ebook called “Instapaper.” That book shows up once you sync your Kindle and you can then turn off “Wireless” 3G and read them just like a book on your Kindle.

I surf the web on my Kindle about 1-2 hours 5 nights a week and that consumes about 60% of a full charge. You can turn “wireless” on/off to prolong battery life. Battery life with wireless off is 2 weeks or more. I only recharge my Kindle, with far more wireless use than a normal user, about every 10 days.

You can also load active content like games (poker, blackjack, sudoku, scrabble) and even apps(spreadsheets, calendar, notepad,calculator).

The reading experience is awesome with Kindles, your eyes are not staring into an LCD glare. It’s as comfortable as looking at text on paper. You can adjust font size from tiny to humongous. The Text-to-Speech voices are very good but I find the robot pace to be disconcerting.

You will likely need to use a book light unless you read in a well lighted area. I suggest the Flex Light 2, not the Kindle covers with built-in book lights.

If you like reading you’ll love Kindles.

Cm’on woot, i really want to get my woot on, post something i want or have a wootoff on my day off. Also my heater from years back is starting to act up, could really use another one.

Because this product is entirely different from the Kindle Fire. The Fire is an lcd screen, such as any laptop device, and is basically a tablet computer. The older Kindles are all use e-ink displays which is much easier on the eyes and closer to actual reading. I would never spend money on the Fire or any tablet myself when I have a laptop…theres just absolutely no point unless you REALLY need to save the extra couple of inches of space.

Why is this more than a new one?

Same price as the Kindle Fire but this has a larger screen, longer battery life (because of the black and white e-ink), a keyboard (instead of a touch screen) and is a little thinner and lighter.

The Kindle Fire has a color display, is good for web browsing and has apps available.

If you want to consume a lot of books and value a larger screen, this is for you. If you value color and want to do more than just consume books, the Kindle Fire is for you.

You pays your money and you makes your choices.

In for 1. Have bought a small keyboard 3G version last month, really enjoy it so far. Would give the big one a try for academic paper and manga. :slight_smile: Have an ipad and a laptop, but these are good for different uses, at least not recommended for reading for hours.

Really? the Kindle Fire is completely different technology. I’m saddened by the flood of LCD based tablets on the market that claim to be good e-readers, but hopefully 2012 will bring in Triton Color e-ink devices.

This kindle looks to be 60$ more than a new one on amazon, why would you buy a refurbished (used) one here?