LiteOn DVD Recorder

Typically, RW disc can be re-written about 100 times. DVD-RAM can be re-written about 1,000 times. The length of the recording will depend on how the machine is designed. For this one, it looks like they capped it at 6 Hrs.

DVDs with upconverters are the biggest scam ever. The best you’re ever going to be able to get from a DVD is 480p, period. After that, if your display is capable of better than that, chances are it has a decent upconverter built-in. You gain absolutely nothing from using an upconverter built into the player versus the one in your TV, other than bragging rights.

It will record HD shows if you use the NTSC composite out from the tuner and feed it into the composite input on the recorder. The recordings won’t be HD of course but the quality should be nearly perfect.

Can someone confirm if it has a V-chip or not ?

From the videohelp.com forum:

1.Enter “Setup” menu on the screen.
2.Scroll down and highlight “Exit”.
3.While “Exit” is highlighted enter 2,9,6, and 0 and press “Enter”.
4.A hidden menu pops up and you can select your region.

Here’s a link to the Cnet user reviews.

Once again, it’s a slightly different model…but it seems close.

If you just want to see the search page, to maybe check out some other similar models to see how good this brand is, the link is HERE! Most of their models are scoring in the 6-point range, which is fairly good but not great.

So in 2 years this thing will be worthless? (no digital ATSC tuner) Add says:

*General Features

Graphical Easy Guider menu
Channel editing
Slide show
Tuner TV system NTSC-M*

This is the manufacturer’s link for the specific woot item, LVW-1107HC1.
http://us.liteonit.com/us/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=171&Itemid=170&limit=1&limitstart=1/

Liteon is one of the biggest drive manufacturers in the world. The supply to many of the name brand vendors.

A successful burn has as much to do with the disc as the burner. If you buy cheap discs, I’ll bet you’ll get coasters no matter which drive you use.

I’ve already got Tivo, and I’ve got one of these so that I can burn my DVR recordings onto DVD when my Tivo gets full…but you’re still right. A great deal.

If that ever actually happens (which I doubt), you can get a $25 external tuner and hook it up.

see above

No upconversion with this model.

I bought one and thank you for the above URL

no it dosent store it burns from audio-vidio imput

A quick google reveals some interesting things about this unit.

It seems as though it can be made region free (playback) quite easily.

It doesn’t seem to have an S-Video input or output (deal killer for me).

It doesn’t record on dual layer.

It has firewire, but only for DV (camcorders). It won’t work with a firewire output from your cable box or your digital TV or D-VHS deck.

Many of these DVD recorders are being sold cheap now because per FCC rules any device manufactured after February 28, 2007 with a TV tuner to receive off air signals has to have a digital tuner (ATSC) as well.

In 2009 the FCC mandated that all TV stations shut off their analog signals.

So if you don’t mind the tuner portion becoming obsolete in 2009, this is a good deal.

However, in March, expect a new crop of DVD recorders with digital tuners.

What do you mean by “going out”? Regular DVD is gonna be around for a while yet.

i love y’all’s stories! XD i stay up till 1 whenever i can just to read them ^.^

Did Larubio make it out OK???

Yes you can I have a cable dvr and use this to record shows to dvd to clear off space of the dvr. It was easy to set iti up too, $70 is worth backing up programs from the dvr. Lite on has great customer service. I bought an early model and had trouble with it and they sent me a newer model replacment in no time, told me I could keep the old one for parts. Like I needed it but glad I didn’t have to ship it back. I have been loyal to lite-on ever since.