Microsoft 10.8" Surface 3 Tablet with Keyboard

Microsoft 10.8" Surface 3 Tablet with Keyboard

@ThunderThighs a slight typo in the specs.

Resolution: 1920 x 1080
Aspect Ratio: 3:2

That’s impossible; 1920x1080 is 16:9 aspect ratio. According to Microsoft it’s 1920 x 1280, which is indeed 3:2.

Also for those curious: According to Microsoft the 64GB version came with 2GB RAM, the 128 with 4GB. I don’t know enough about them to say for sure whether Microsoft made a 4GB/64GB version, so caveat emtor there.

With all of that said, I’m sorely tempted to pick up one of these; the only Surface I’ve ever owned was a RT and for its time it was a phenomenal tablet. This is faster, newer, has Windows 10, and will run x86 software (the RT couldn’t run anything from outside the Microsoft Store because it was ARM, not x86).

Thanks! Asking the buyer to take a look.

Following for the answer to the 4GB/64GB config question also. Thanks.

Specs for the 128 GB version which I purchased from Woot including how much memory is free (should also be good news for 64 GB users)

• It displays 1920 x 1280 with a 3.2 aspect ratio. Some have said it is excellent for video streaming.
  • Online reviews are favorable saying it has a fast enough CPU and integrated GPU for intended purpose. While slower than later iterations or the Surface Pro 3, it is much more econonmical especially used.
  • Has a fast for class Intel Atom but buyers need to know it is best used as an extension of a more powerful machine. Good that it as a displayport and USB 3.1 ports (better than my work notebook).

Hope this helps.

Does anyone know what year this was made?

I have a 2019 base IPad that I’m increasingly frustrated with given I’m not in the Apple world, it’s terrible at sharing information between apps, struggles to see my local network/NAS, etc…

Any thoughts on this Serface 3 vs a 2019 base iPad?

I have an iPad Air 2 and the surface 3. iPad Air and iPADs are far less functional to me than a Windows based system. Others used to their quirks find iPad Pros more useful.

The iPad you have is half of thick and less than 1/2 as heavy compared to the Surface 3. Depending on your use you might decide that tweaking the iPad is worth doing.

Different devices serve different purposes best. I use all-in-ones for work with a minimum of 27 in screen. A 2.4 lb notebook only for travel. iPad for some diversions and rarely for meetings.

1 Like

So you’re trying to find the most positive possible way to say that this isn’t good enough to serve as anyone’s only PC.

1 Like

Very correct. It depends on what you use your devices for of course. If your main purpose is to surf, stream, and occasionally email then the surface 3 might be very adequate as a standalone.

Otherwise, different devices serve different functions optimally. For instance, my eyes like a 27-in screen. My kiddo has a 49-in one for EHR work. Yet, I check email often throughout the day via phone, approve time off, an alert others to people who are out sick.

Different devices continue to serve different purposes because of convenience and features. Our IT director can determine if any of our 20+ servers go down, have heating issues, or are throttled via his Android phones.

Can u access Google play on this

No sorry, it is a full-fledged Windows 10 device. Not an Android device. It is in some ways far more powerful if you are used to using Windows.

1 Like

Best way to decide whether to purchase is to reverse engineer it. What do you want to be able to do with a tablet. Then perhaps the following in this order:

1. Decide foremost What applications you want to be able to run.
  2. How much weight you want to carry around with you.
  3. How big a screen you need.
  4. Whether you need a keyboard for intended purpose or not.
  5. Then what operating system (OS) you are familiar with and compare availability and quality of applications between OS ecosystems.

For work purposes, you probably will find that most of the time you want to use a large screen device and have an accessory tablet or phone that can interface with the computer. In my workplace all Mac users, including die hard Mac-phile CEO and COO eventually migrated to Windows environment due to the proprietary software we use as well as collaborative, concurrent use of Microsoft Office products and SharePoint. They were all given choice to continue on Macs but opted not too.

However, sometimes you may find that applications such as streaming or gaming while lounging make you go off in a different direction. Hope this helps.

I bought 2… refurbished. The only problem, so far…one still had someone else as administrator, and I couldn’t do anything with it. I had to wipe it and start fresh.

I’ve had one of these since they were first introduced, originally with Windows 8.1.

It’s an excellent machine for travelling – it’s light and very capable. I even use it with an external USB DVD drive and a mini Display Port to HDMI/VGA adapter to play movies on large screens in a classroom.

It charges via micro USB, so it’s even more portable.

It’s slow, but for basic things, it’s fast enough. Just don’t have a lot of browser tabs open.

The original two models had 2 GB of RAM and 64 GB of storage or 4 and 128. I believe that the type of storage used on the 128 GB model was considerably faster than the other one. I think Microsoft added the 4/64 model later mostly for businesses; I don’t know if it uses faster storage.

At this price including a Type Cover, it’s not a bad deal at all. It will be usable with security updates at least until Windows 10 reaches end-of-life, currently planned for mid-October, 2025.

3 Likes

This is an outdated Surface product. If anything this should be sold under $100.

If you look around, Surface go 2 with 128gb ssd and 8 gb Ram could be found under $300 which is more appropriate buy.

Surface 3 was released in 2015.

Respectfully, prices actually went up. They are double your estimate refurbed at that eggy place.

Have tracked the price with surprise after purchasing last year.