Microsoft Surface Duo Dual-Screen Tablet

Microsoft Surface Duo Dual-Screen Tablet

1 Like

This can be unlocked for use with other carriers, it just may take some time to get the unlock code from at&t.

2 Likes

It took six days to get my unlock code directly from AT&T using their online request system.

2 Likes

I got one of these on a previous sale. Works great on T-Mobile. Too big to be a everyday carry phone for me but the hardware is cool. My kids use it to play video games and run apps. Two screens with a hinge is a much less mechanically scary idea than a folding screen.

3 Likes

How do full screen video play/look? TIA. Would want to mostly use this for streaming.

@imadog @dougpaw57 @nateorenstam There is a lot of conflicting information and reports of people who were and weren’t able to get these unlocked recently. Is there a specific procedure to process the unlock request for someone who isn’t an AT&T customer?

@dpware There is a gesture, drag the app to the middle to span it across both screens

3 Likes

I am a Verizon customer. I went to the AT&T unlock site online and submitted the IMEI. I got an unlock code six days later. I did not have to contact Microsoft for assistance. Searching for feedback, it appears that most people got theirs unlocked in under a week, some took two weeks.

For those concerned about AT&T bloatware, there is a way to delete those apps.
Removing most unwanted apps from the DUO

3 Likes

Thanks, good to know.

Is this the AT&T unlock site you’re referring to? https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/

1 Like

Looks like it, I did it last year.

1 Like

Received the phone and submitted unlock request before opening the package, website says up to two business days to review the unlock request :crossed_fingers:

I definitely met people who have successfully had it unlocked, but I’ve also met people that have run into constant issues contacting the two companies involved.

So it’s definitely not impossible, but I certainly don’t blame Woot for being conservative. Because there’s definitely been a trend in the last few months where more and more people have reported a lack of success trying to get through and get this thing unlocked.

I never even tried because I don’t use the SIM card in mine. It’s a tablet, an indoor device. Not a lot of good cases for it so I’m scared to death of bringing it out into the real world anyway.

Your anecdotally there have been people that have been trying for months and your experience is not necessarily typical. That’s good to find out.

Just received mine, but it won’t power on. Is this a common problem? Something that can be troubleshot? Just a lemon?

I bought mine from Amazon months ago and mine was DOA. I immediately contacted customer service for an RMA, but in the meantime, I decided to connect it to the charger and see if maybe it was just because the battery wasn’t charged at all but was still good. Thankfully, that was the case and after charging it for several hours and then some, I had a brand new working device.

As noted by @nycboyga, give it a good long charge for the first charge. Batteries are often shipped drained for safety.

1 Like

Update on progress for my unlock request: AT&T denied the web form unlock request with the denial reason “Not an AT&T phone”. I’m chatting with their tech support as a result. And the support reps are now denying the request as well. Your and my unlock request may ultimately go through but don’t expect it to go smoothly.

2 Likes

This may sound silly, have you atually tried turning on the duo and putting in a non att sim to verify it is indeed an att device? As some have said in previous posts, they actually copied the IMEI from the box without opening it to request the unlock from att (first). There is always this possibility that you have been sent a non att unlocked set!

1 Like

I have been trying with the IMEI on the box and the box still shrink-wrapped. I don’t want to open it unless I can get it unlocked. Both the sticker and the unlock system on at&it’s website identify it as an AT&T locked device. Are you telling me that it may have already been unlocked despite the tag and system?

Got mine a few days ago, submitted the unlock and with in 24 hours att denied me the unlock. Ymmv

Good luck

Hi there, if you haven’t already done so please reach out to Woot! Customer Service.

From a browser, use the Woot! Customer Service form.

In the Woot! App, choose Account from the bottom navigation and then Support.

Note: Woot! Customer Service replies go to the email address on your Woot! account, not your Amazon login email if used/different.

Please allow at least 24 hours for them to respond.

1 Like