Microsoft Windows 10 or 11 Pro (Your Choice)

Microsoft Windows 10 or 11 Pro (Your Choice)

3 Likes

This would be tempting if it weren’t for my Windows 7 Upgrade key that bought from Best Buy years ago still working. I clean installed Windows 11 Pro just the other day using it.

8 Likes

So anybody have any thoughts on why someone might want to switch to 11 Pro vs Home?

4 Likes

For most people, it doesn’t matter in the slightest.

For the more technologically inclined, and particular those with either several machines at home, or security concerns, there are a couple of main points, like domain or group policy management. However, the truly useful part that should likely be given more attention is the Bitlocker encryption that only Pro allows - Definitely one of most underrated and underutilized aspects of Pro Windows; Being able to easily encrypt an entire machine’s contents fairly well is a worthy consideration.

14 Likes

Uh oh.

5 Likes

I know the product description has a note that says that once the key is emailed, they can’t issue a refund, but it also states that there is a 90 Day Warranty. Could Woot staff make a clarification so no one is confused?

[MOD: Good call out. We’ve removed it. See post below.]

4 Likes

Suspicious Monkey GIF by MOODMAN

4 Likes

QUESTION. Since this is a digital download without a physical medium (like a USB drive or DVD), can it be installed in a new build? If so, how?
My nephew is building his first computer. This could be a way to save a buck for him. $50 is cheaper than what Win11 home usually costs.

Would you download it on a working computer, then save it to a thumb drive or burn it to disc?

5 Likes

This is a product key, or just a string of characters that Microsoft uses to verify that your license is valid. It is used to activate a Windows installation that is performed with some type of media.

Most commonly today, you would use another machine to download Microsoft’s “Media Creation Tool”, which can turn a simple USB drive into a bootable drive for most modern builds. However, you could also alternatively use a traditional DVD optical disc (if you can find one), or just use the code to validate what was a less-than-legitimate version of Windows that has been installed and upgraded over time.

Here is Microsoft’s own site for the Win10 media creation tool

11 Likes

Wait windows is still an operating system?

4 Likes

I swear these thread comments are the exact same conversations being had when this product was listed 2 months ago

9 Likes

Does this require a login to a Microsoft Account to reedeem or activate?

7 Likes

Download it to a flash drive from another computer. Then use it as a boot disk on the new empty computer to install windows.

10 Likes

As part of the Windows actvation process “they” want you to create an account, yes.

I think there are ways around that but that is beyond my knowledge skill set.

5 Likes

Are you replacing an older computer? Just reinstall that operating system and then upgrade to 11 for free.

8 Likes

Unless it’s Vista or older. You have to do some tricks then. I did one for a friend going to 10 a year or 2 ago I don’t remrmber what I did, but it was a clean install starting with her Vista key.

It wasn’t particularly hard, but it had some steps.

6 Likes

pirates of the caribbean orlando GIF

As noted above, an older system not dating back any further than Windows 7. (Is anybody actually using anything older than 7 now?) :wink:

6 Likes

Hm?

8 Likes

Great deal and you don’t have to deal with sketchy websites that might give you a disease!

8 Likes

Im Not Stupid Dr No GIF by James Bond 007

:slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes