Norton AntiVirus & Online Backup Bundle

Product Page for the Software
Amazon Reviews
Cnet Review

Relevant:
“How To Uninstall McAfee Antivirus” https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=bKgf5PaBzyg (NSFW language)

seriously? on tech woot, and not as a gag gift? friends don’t let friends install crappy mmalware disguised as antivirus software.

Lots of unhappy shoppers (2.0 out of 5.0) on the Backup software over at amazon

Check out this “good” review on the backup software over at pcmag.com

since 2005 the norton antivirus engine became a processor hog and will slow your computer to a crawl… try the free version from the symantec website and see if it isnt so.

This is one of the few times in life people pay money to INSTALL a virus, rather than remove it.

I’d rather run a computer with no antivirus than run with Norton.

Really? This would be the last software I would by for my computer. In addition to resource hog, it can be a bear to completely remove when you want to. Try free Avira for a robust anti virus but stay away from Norton anything! I will pass on this…!!

Yeah, NAV ceased being a good solution years ago. Fun fact: Peter Norton sold out to Symantec in 1990, and hasn’t had anything to do with it since.

Even Microsoft’s Security Essentials is better, and it’s free.

I have also been using the free version of Avast, but current versions are turning into nagware, with popups trying to get you to buy their paid products.

If you’re just interested in the backup, you can buy the 100GB version from Norton for $29.99. (Woot is selling the 25GB version.)

Note that the price only includes one year of service. If you want to continue using either after one year, you have to pay.

Norton is evil. Whenever I have a client who has anything Norton on their PC and I have to help them, I cringe. Yuck.

I’ll be the contrarian just to balance things out. Yes, I know a lot of people have had trouble with Norton. Yes, it has been a resource hog in the past (and still may be for some). Yes, I had fun trying to buy the next year’s version rather than auto-renew (and had to talk to tech support to resolve this).

However, I’ve had bought Norton Antivirus, Norton Internet Security, and Norton 360 for over a decade for my own and my parents’ computers. I also now get the NIS equivalent free from my internet provider. I’ve never had significant problems with it, hasn’t hogged the resources on my computers for at least the last 3-4 years that I can recall, has caught just about everything bad (the one miss was minor, and Malwarebytes Antimalware (edited name) caught it–free), and the articles I’ve read indicate it’s still good for protection (yes, not all articles agree). Oh, and so far, no trouble uninstalling the last few years when I’ve had to.

The backup service though, I have no idea on.

(and no, I have no connection to Norton, and they’re far from perfect, as I noted in the first paragraph)

This is a bummer, and the first “sucker” to this couldn’t be further from the literal meaning of the word.

I wouldn’t recommend this software, It was crap when I had it forced on me with an HP in 1999, and I hear it’s still crap. Seems from reviews and comments above that it’s still just a crock.

I’d like to meet some of the programming team, see what they say about it. lol…

Adding to the hate…this sucks.

Avast get the nod for me…AVG Free and even Microsoft Essentials are good/okay too.

I’d hate to give more of the same but… Norton has often been the cause of many troubles in my experience and I often would switch users to something + MBAM. MBAM, btw, is absolutely fantastic.

Norton is better than nothing, but when you have problems with your computer it’d be a good idea to troubleshoot Norton as the culprit early on.

To clarify, here’s the link to the free version of MBAM (Malwarebytes Antimalware), which I noted above and agree is a good 2nd check (and I’ve owned over 5 years):

One more thing: some reviews
PC World when evaluating security suites that included antivirus, last January:

PCMag 2013 (and yes, I know Neil Rubenking has been endorsing Norton in his review articles for years)

AV comparatives, which is independent and has been around a while, including monthly tests and organization of data in different ways, including by company:
http://www.av-comparatives.org

This is good if you want to practice uninstalling software.

Where’s the rebate to make it free? This is anti-virus software after all.

That was 8 years ago. It hasn’t been a processor hog for a while now.