Oreck XL Professional Air Purifier

[QUOTE=dontbuckme, post:22, topic:89115]
What is the input voltage? Can it run on 220V?
[/quote]

For about three seconds.

[QUOTE=Defjm5, post:137, topic:89115]
Anyone know if this works with cigarette smoke ?
[/quote]

I refuse to work with cigarette smoke. I make 'em go outside.

I just bought another roomba from a competitor website, and it was shipped from Carrollton TX…sound familiar?

I,ve had this model for 4 years. I purchased it as a refurb from a local orek store for $250. It did come with a 7 year warranty, and yearly full tear-downs and cleanings.
I use it 7x24 mostly on “whisper” mode shich is hardly audible, however the amount is air passing the grid is reduced.
When allergy season, or the fire season starts, I run it on the medium setting and it clears a living room in about 3 hours. It does reduce dust and dirt in the house, and cuts smoke significantly.
There are 3 filters in this model. A pre-filter to catch the big stuff, the electrostatic filter and a post charcoal filter to cut odors. The first two filters are cleaned in your sink with bathroom cleaner, compleatly dried and replaced. I replace the charcoal filter once a year. and it seems to be OK. Cleaning time varies with the amount of crud in the air. I don’t wait until the red light comes on, when it starts popping, I wash the filters. Takes 10 minutes or so, and the filters have to be completly dry before use. A hair dryer works great.
I don’t use the ionizer, as I don’t appreciate the smell of the ionized air, and the sent packs are disgusting.
I am buying one for the bedroon to replace a Honeywell HEPA filter unit. It’s too noisy and the filters cost way too much.
At $100 this is a deal. I’m not happy about the one year warranty, but you pays your money, and hope. Repairs will be more than the purchase price if the electrostic cell craps out.
Don’t know about the Sharper Image Purifier, but I do know you can’t get one for $100.
THought I’d throw in my thoughts, as I actually have one of this model.

[QUOTE=kellywarren, post:167, topic:89115]
As a medical doctor with some specialty training in this area, let me add this: you get what you pay for. This model is certainly better than not having any air purifier, however, for just a few more dollars I certainly believe that the Sharp PlasmaCluster models are far superior. In my house we have two IQ Air Healthpro Plus models (which are a lot more expensive but also far far more effective). One might also consider the Austin Air models as an alternative (while not as good as the IQ Air, they are less than half the price and I do have several friends who are also physicians (and who specialize solely in treating environmental allergies) who have Austin Air units in their clinics and in their homes. Finally, I would encourage everyone who is considering this model to look at Airfree air sterilizers - we have several of these in my home and they seem to be quite effective. After examining the science behind the Airfree machines, I bought several for the childrens bedrooms. By the way, the Airfree machines are totally silent. I would encourage anyone contemplating the purchase of one of these Oreck machines to do some research online before buying it.
[/quote]

It’s just hard for me to imagine that the Airfree units are effective. Any cleaner that relies on convection, like the Airfree does and the SI units do, can’t clean enough air to keep up with the generation or introduction of pollutants. Give me a cleaner with a fan in it anytime. The Austin Air units look to be real cadillacs in this category, with a filter that lasts 5 years. I think you still need to change the prefilter regularly. Go with hepa filters, like the military and my allergist do.

[QUOTE=Defjm5, post:137, topic:89115]
Anyone know if this works with cigarette smoke ?
[/quote]

I think you have to use electricity. But buy one and try it with cigarette smoke. It might run.

I wouldn’t take this if you gave it to me. My mom bought an oreck xl vacuum and it was junk, it sucked or it didn’t suck… literally. Although the “free” little oreck that the included in the deal was ok. Before she bought the oreck, we used an old electrolux vacuum that to this day works better than that oreck and it is probably 20 years old or better…

Wow!! I was just aboout to buy one of these till I did a Google search on the entire name (exactly as WOOT listed it) and got this page as the first hit:
http://www.air-purifiers-america.com/ed_oreck.asp

A brief clip from the page reads like this (note the quotes)
“Oreck Test Results - The Oreck air purifier was one of the worst performing unit of those that we tested, in that it removed 33% of the particles at the unit and 45% in the room.”

Guess I will have to pass for my babies room.

[QUOTE=kellywarren, post:167, topic:89115]
As a medical doctor with some specialty training in this area, let me add this: you get what you pay for. This model is certainly better than not having any air purifier, however, for just a few more dollars I certainly believe that the Sharp PlasmaCluster models are far superior. In my house we have two IQ Air Healthpro Plus models (which are a lot more expensive but also far far more effective). One might also consider the Austin Air models as an alternative (while not as good as the IQ Air, they are less than half the price and I do have several friends who are also physicians (and who specialize solely in treating environmental allergies) who have Austin Air units in their clinics and in their homes. Finally, I would encourage everyone who is considering this model to look at Airfree air sterilizers - we have several of these in my home and they seem to be quite effective. After examining the science behind the Airfree machines, I bought several for the childrens bedrooms. By the way, the Airfree machines are totally silent. I would encourage anyone contemplating the purchase of one of these Oreck machines to do some research online before buying it.
[/quote]

I feel like I jast sat through one of those late night infomercials… So how are the benefits over at Airfree Air Sterilizers, Inc.? hehehe

I bought 2 of these around 18 months ago. They suck, are a pain in the ass to clean and both are now broken.

I have also learned that they may actually do more harm than good. Stay clear

its too bad you didnt hear about all the help Oreck did after the hurricanes, they paid for housing for there displaced workers at no charge. to me that means a good company, not to mention there my cousins :slight_smile: ORECK ROCKS!!!

its too bad you didnt hear about all the help Oreck did after the hurricanes, they paid for housing for there displaced workers at no charge. to me that means a good company, not to mention there my cousins ORECK ROCKS!!!

[QUOTE=PaulBuko, post:177, topic:89115]
I’ve had 3 of these for over a year. Unfortunately I paid full price at the Oreck store. They work ok. Not worth the $300 each I paid but for $99.00 is a good deal. It’s only going to last about a year befor you have problems with it. I’ve experienced motor noise and power supply failures. The electrostatic cartridge (don’t remember what Oreck calls it) is certainly were anyone will have a problem at some point. This part must be cleaned pretty regularly. If you’re not careful (and it’s sometimes hard to be careful) you will break one of the thin wires inside that unit. You can buy a new unit from Oreck for $35.00 or $40.00. The electrostatic unit IS NOT repairable. Oreck won’t tell me what type of wire it is so I can go buy some. The Air Cleaners you see here on Woot is the “old” model (like I have). I’m sure Oreck is trying to get rid of them. Orec wants about $500.00 for their new model and generously offered to take my old air cleaners off my hands for $75.00 each (remember I paid a little over $300.00 just about a year ago).
So for $99.00 buy one or two, but throw them out once they break (my recommendation). If you run it on high the fan is quite noisy. On low you can’t hardly hear it. Medium is not too bad in a big room and you’re not too close to it (no closer than about 5 or6 feet)
[/quote]

GAAAA!! How did we survive as primates in the dusty Savannah? Our hermetically-sealed, germ-free, deodorized, disinfected, odor-free lifestyle is all a bunch of hooey. Working Summers on my Uncle’s farm where you can almost taste, yes taste (to quote a previous wooter) the manure in the air, is not harmful. Matter of fact, in my completely non-professional opinion that has absolutely no scientific evidence to back it up, the more sterilized we become, the more prone we are to physical problems. Get out, eat some dirt, breathe some smog, sit on a public toilet seat, drink from a drinking fountain. All it will do is bolster your immune system by allowing it to do what it was supposed to.

Flex those immune “muscles” by using them. Then when when you need them, they’ll be good and ready.

What my lawyers make me say…Don’t really eat dirt, it’s usually got quartz in it which will wear away the enamel on your teeth.

[QUOTE=wootvan, post:25, topic:89115]
How fast can you get it here…I had beans and cabbage for dinner.
[/quote]

Hey, that’ll test the Oreck’s capabilities, for sure!

[QUOTE=JackG058, post:194, topic:89115]
Hey, that’ll test the Oreck’s capabilities, for sure!
[/quote]

feel bad for the people/pets around you. your going to need all the air filtration power you can get. l0l

Irving of Houston TX (03/14/07)

I bought an Oreck Air Purifier from a dealer about six months ago. It has completely stopped working and Oreck tells me that’s because I did not purchase directly from them, they will not take any responsibility.

I have an Ionic Breeze as well. Works extremely well. My bedroom smells very fresh :smiley:

[QUOTE=kaktuszac, post:40, topic:89115]
Air purifiers are for sissys. Useless inventions created to make to you think you need them.
[/quote]

I say the same thing about bottled water.

Tap’s fine for me thanks.

:0

Given the style of a typical Woot post, this guy sounds way too legit to be real. Where’s the link to some spam? We need spam!

Consumer Reports rated this model as poor in every category except noise. So, if you want something that does nothing quietly, this is for you.