Oreck XL Professional Air Purifier

Oh my god that was hilarious, I almost just spit cookies all over my laptop.

Thanks for the laugh!!

OZONE? NOOOOOOOOOOO~!

Side note: When is Woot finally going to get with the program and implement [youtube][/youtube] flash video embed tags?

Would be much nicer to view inline rather than just make linky, especially for long overnight wootoff stakeouts. (heh)

so basically woot guys get stoned? right on!

I think woot has become a place to sell refurbished items, i am not a regular user, but i visit woot almost regularly, earlier i never used to find most of new selling items, now its all refurbished.

Were they like this always or just changed

You’re obviously not too regular of a visitor. A quick look at the last 10 items shows 8 new and 2 refurb. That’s hardly “all refurbished”.

I’m sitting in the library right now and this lady is hacking up a lung… I’d be all over this if I was her, that’s for sure.

As a medical doctor with some specialty training in this area, let me add this: you get what you pay for. This model is certainly better than not having any air purifier, however, for just a few more dollars I certainly believe that the Sharp PlasmaCluster models are far superior. In my house we have two IQ Air Healthpro Plus models (which are a lot more expensive but also far far more effective). One might also consider the Austin Air models as an alternative (while not as good as the IQ Air, they are less than half the price and I do have several friends who are also physicians (and who specialize solely in treating environmental allergies) who have Austin Air units in their clinics and in their homes. Finally, I would encourage everyone who is considering this model to look at Airfree air sterilizers - we have several of these in my home and they seem to be quite effective. After examining the science behind the Airfree machines, I bought several for the childrens bedrooms. By the way, the Airfree machines are totally silent. I would encourage anyone contemplating the purchase of one of these Oreck machines to do some research online before buying it.

It’s junk. You get what you pay for:

http://www.air-purifiers-america.com/ed_oreck.asp

I don’t know how this thing is, but I can say the Sharper image’s ionic breeze kicks ass. Absolutely no noise, and I can actually taste, yes taste, the difference in the air if its not on.
Great product… and I hate the sharper image

I have one of these. It works OK but nothing to brag about.

Are you kidding?? This costs extra and I am sure Oreck will sell it to you for a bargain price…

Looks like you should skip this woot: http://www.air-purifiers-america.com/ed_APA_test_results-large-room.asp

It only removed 33% of the particles in the air compared to better products in the 80-90% range.

Consumer Reports indicated this unit is “Not Recommended” because it doesn’t clean the air, and genrates Ozone above recommended levels.

They could give these away and I wouldn’t want one.

You should save that stuff and sell it on eBay. My filter only traps the tar.

As an asthmatic myself, no there isn’t a “need” for an air purifier, but it does help a lot. I don’t know anything about this particular purifier but the one I’ve got helps decrease snoring as well.

Ditto to alot of the comments already made concerning this unit. If you have a bird as a pet, this unit would be very effective in removing the pet dander. But as far as removing very fine particulate such as smoke, something a HEPA filter is recommended for, then this unit is not too good. Also, heed the concerns about the ozone levels emitted by this unit. Ozone contamination is not to be taken lightly. I wouldn’t use one of these no matter what its price, frankly.

I’ve had 3 of these for over a year. Unfortunately I paid full price at the Oreck store. They work ok. Not worth the $300 each I paid but for $99.00 is a good deal. It’s only going to last about a year befor you have problems with it. I’ve experienced motor noise and power supply failures. The electrostatic cartridge (don’t remember what Oreck calls it) is certainly were anyone will have a problem at some point. This part must be cleaned pretty regularly. If you’re not careful (and it’s sometimes hard to be careful) you will break one of the thin wires inside that unit. You can buy a new unit from Oreck for $35.00 or $40.00. The electrostatic unit IS NOT repairable. Oreck won’t tell me what type of wire it is so I can go buy some. The Air Cleaners you see here on Woot is the “old” model (like I have). I’m sure Oreck is trying to get rid of them. Orec wants about $500.00 for their new model and generously offered to take my old air cleaners off my hands for $75.00 each (remember I paid a little over $300.00 just about a year ago).
So for $99.00 buy one or two, but throw them out once they break (my recommendation). If you run it on high the fan is quite noisy. On low you can’t hardly hear it. Medium is not too bad in a big room and you’re not too close to it (no closer than about 5 or6 feet)

I don’t know about this one!

Not only are they refurbs, they’re also much older units!

http://www.oreck.com/air-purifiers/xl_air_purifier_tabletop.cfm

I bought one of these back in Feb and even then it was the new style. Who knows how old these are!?!?!?

Hello? The UNIT is refurbished. It has NO FILTER in it that is replaced. Obviously you do not put in a used filter. This is like Ionic Breeze from S.I. You pull out the filter and simply wipe off the dust, and put it back. That is it!

As for what you do, I HAVE seen refurbished electrostatic furnace filters, which are cleaned with a garden hose (how they work actually!) and returned to service, and they work just like a new one since they do not wear out. They are also half the cost of a new one. Sorry, what kind of professional are you?

I still don’t know.

Brand new units have a 3 YEAR warranty and a LIFETIME WARRANTY on the collector cell.