Oreck XL Professional Air Purifier

We own one. We bought it direct from Oreck after purchasing their Vacuum Cleaner. Say what you want about reviews, Endorsements, etc. As an owner, I can say that it works. It isn’t a $24000.00 commercial unit, so of course it isn’t going to perform like one.

We were both smokers. 2 packs a day each. We had to clean the nicotene off the inside once a month. Now come on! If it was that nasty, it had to be working, right? You wouldn’t believe how much nicotene it trapped. It is a little loud on high setting, but you can get used to it. It snaps like a bug zapper on occasion. Again, nothing you can’t gt used to.

All in all, it will make the hoouse smell better. It isn’t going to cure you of Asthma nor wash your dishes, but for $99.00 it is well worth the money. Getting a deal here is a good thing, but for those of you expecting miracles, Sorry. It works like it’s supposed to. no more, no less.

I have the model that came before this and it was not worth the money. Wish I would have done some better research before buying it.

Basically this is an Ionic Breeze with a fan to move more air. Problem is that when you move the air that fast the crap doesn’t get picked up by the collection plates. Yes it ionizes the air like the Ionic Breeze and even includes an additional ionizer that you can turn on if you want more of that ionized air smell (why?). The pre-filter and post-filter do more air cleaning than the actual collector cell. Tons of dust built up on the output of mine which says to me it’s doing a pretty crap job of cleaning the air. Never seen the clean filter light come on either, even when the pre-filter was completely clogged with dust. The post-filters which you are supposed to replace every 3-4 months run $10 a piece and come in 4-packs so you do still have to buy filters. Overall avoid this crap from Oreck.

Consumer Reports said these things suck and I quote “NOT RECOMMENDED These were poor at cleaning, and some exceeded the UL ozone standard.”

Brilliant!

Consumer Reports said “poor”

I heavily researched these and other air filters lately because of my allergies, and came to the conclusion that a good furnace air filter is just as good and a heck of a lot cheaper. People don’t seem to think this model does very well either. The price is good if you have been seeing the infomercials and want to try one out, but I would skip it (and I am).

Air Purifiers America does not recommend the Friedrich C-90, Ionic Breeze or Oreck XL air cleaners as these units generate ozone which is harmful to the body according to laboratory research conducted by California DHS’ Indoor Air Quality Program. See a detailed review of all air purifiers tested.

note, it says that the Oreck XL air cleaners generate ozone…

This air purifier ranked almost as bad as the ionic breeze in terms of actually removing particles from the air. The design also releases ozone into the air, which is harmful if you get too much of it!
Save your money… woot is just trying to con off a bunch of you stupid internet nerds

see link from consumer affairs

I received one of these as a gift a couple years ago and still use it… I don’t mind the white noise from the fan and it “crackles” to let you know when it is time to clean the filters. I’m not sure about other users problems but it does in fact clean dust and dirt, every month I clean the pre-filter which is clogged and wash the collection plates with the cleaning solution - sold seperately (but I hear scrubbing bubbles works just as well). I’ve actually never replaced the charcoal filter, it’s constructed of plastic and seems to work just fine when I spray it clean. The construction is a bit shoddy, but for the price I feel this product does perform well and obviously does what it is supposed too since you have to clean it so frequently… don’t hate.

http://www.woot.com/Forums/ViewPost.aspx?PostID=1566902

I have two of these pieces of useless junk thanks to my mother in law. They do nothing more than make noise. They look a little like an old Atari 2600, but make a gentle humming sound like you have a vacuum turned on very low. My daughters had some asthma issues and my inlaws thought these would help clean the air in their rooms. They don’t… they just make noise. Complete waste of money.

does it stand on its side? also, does it work if it is against a wall or in a windowsill?

I would have picked up one, if the reviews for it were not so bad… I will pass and keep an eye out for one that is worth my money.

I have had two of these for about 4 years now. They work just fine. Yes, they are a little noisy when run on high, but they don’t need to be run on high. Low is just fine. They clean up like a breeze, just rinse off, let dry, put back together and you’re in business.
As far as the “bug zapper” noises - that means its time to CLEAN it. I have noticed a huge difference in how dusty my house it. I have to dust much less often.
I can’t speak for those with allergies, as fortunately, no one in our house has them. But for cleaner air and less dust, they work great.

Not to point out obvious cluelessness in a fellow wooter… but if you want reliable information about a product, you probably shouldn’t look at the competition. If you look at that site, all of the products they sell are rated highly. The ones they don’t sell are rated poorly. I’m not saying that the Oreck is better than they claim it is – I don’t know that – but I’m saying that this information isn’t very trustworthy.

It’s like asking a iPod/Phone owner whether it was worth $200 to get his iPod/Phone a few weeks earlier. Of course they’ll say yes… or they confirm their sucker status.

Again, you can’t use that comparison – the site is selling only the competition.

Bad question. 1,000 refurbs on 100,000 sold is nothing. 1,000 refurbs on 2,000 sold is a problem. Do you know the refurb-ratio?

One thing that should be pointed out tho, is that refurbs are often sold “at cost”. That means, $100 includes the cost of the unit + the cost of refurbishing it. So if they change the $5 filter, $10 collector plates and have a $10/hr person spent 45 min replacing those parts and dusting it out, there’s maybe $75 in product cost. The retail price of $300 is a ripoff… thank the Sharper Image for setting the standard on that. You can build an ionizer for less than $25 in parts at home, and stick it in a $10 rubbermaid box with a $10 walmart fan, and there you go. Use a $5 furnace filter (MERV8-11), and you got a unit that this better than this.

Ionic air purifiers can cause respiratory distress in people with any sort of breathing problems. The Ionic Breeze landed my son in the hospital. THEN I read the research reports.

NOT a good option for any room you spend significant time in.

no this cant be conferted to 220 …yes its very quite… I have one already its thats size because it has a fan and its the size of a Vcr so fits nicely anywhere …I have a cat and it takes all the odor out of the air.