Philips Active Noise Canceling Headphones

I have them. Turning on and off in a bus I did find it canceled some of the engine noise. The sound quality if not particularly good. I only use them if I am on a bus or under the flight path of an airport. Otherwise they are not useful. With the noise cancellation off they block sounds as well and any ear plug type headphones. I sometimes use them without jacking into an audio source to get to sleep if I am near a road or under the flightpath of an airport. Not jacked in to an audio source you will hear static, but that seems to help me sleep.

Noise cancelling only works on low bass rumble type noise from engines (bus air ect) and thuds. They do not filter the higher pitched noises. They will not turn cats or kids off.

Beyond the questionable noise cancellation of these babies, how is the actual sound quality? Anyone who owns a pair?

I’ve used many of those expensive ones for my job and in the end I would sum it up as:

Noise canceling = over-rated and a huge waste of batteries.

these are junk my ipod headphones work better no clip for battery case

I bought a pair of these before on woot and was terribly disapointed. I don’t remember specifically if they work without batteries but I don’t think they do. And the battery capsule is horribly placed in the middle of the cable. So I would try to tuck it into my shirt pocket but any other place would not leave enough cable for buds to reach my ears. Not a good purchase for me.

Grab a pair of inexpensive Skull Candy and they work the same if not better.

The shape the wires make…
is it a rabbit, or a duck?

Made the unfortunate mistake of buying these about a year ago. They’re absolutely terrible. The “noise cancelling” really means “noisy amplifier”. All you get is slightly louder music and a lot of hiss. They’re painfully uncomfortable as well.

I’ll sell you mine for $0.99 and $5 S/H … lol

It’s a chalk outline of Snoopy’s skydiving accident.

My son has these, he wears them when he mows the lawn, he wears a pair of remmington gun muffs over top of them, my riding lawnmower has all kinds of dents in it, you want his attention you have to throw a rock at the mower, because he can’t hear anything outside of himself thinking.
He also took an old cellphone holder cut the belt clip off and superglued it to the back of the battery pack.

Do they have their own volume control?

These things are awful! I had a pair a few years ago, worst headphones ever! The cord is to short from where it comes out of the battery pack, and the thing is so heavy it yanks the ear buds right out of your ears. DO NOT BUY! Oh yeah, and they sound like shit and broke after about 3 months.

Think I like my Maximo better from previous Woot.

The reason your pulling them out of your ears is because your not wearing them right, the little clip that woot has moved closer to the battery hold actually, makes a loop where the cord is around the back of your neck, so the tension is on your neck not on the ear buds, Thats why it slides up and down the cord is so you can make the wire go behind your head, it was in the instructions, guess you ate them…

I just don’t get the naysayers…

You want good earphones? Okay - fork over a couple hundred and we’ll talk…Shure makes some mighty nice earbuds.

For those who aren’t millionaires…

I’ve had a pair of these for quite some time…true, certainly not the BEST noise cancellation, but enough to make you say, “Hey! This box actually DOES something!”

FWIW - my original battery ran out after 18 months of use…the last one is still working. I can’t complain - just wish I had them at the WOOT price!

Nice wide response range - pretty darn good sound, especially with the ‘box’ turned on, and for the price buy three and who cares if you destroy them?

no

I like the V-Moda Bass Freq. Under $25 at Amazon, so you’ll need to pad the order if you want free shipping. Great sound including deep bass. I haven’t had any problems with mine yet, but I like them enough to have bought a spare pair.

I find it hilarious that the 2nd question to be addressed on the product’s FAQ page is, “Why do I feel electrical shocks while doing recreational sports?”

Meh, might make a nice gag gift.

Bought 'em for considerably more. Happy except that the inserts that came with them have too large a jump between sizes. I was able to pick up a $1 pair of chinese cheapies of the same type and substitute those earpieces, so I’m happy with them overall. At this price, it’s a no-brainer.

Yes that is mostly how I use them, not jacked into anything. They will cover you on a flight. The problem is they are inner ear type things, you might not like them especially if you sleep with your ear facing the pillow. Otherwise they are a good cheap solution to engine noise.