Simmons CaptureView 8x30 1.3MP Digital Camera Binoculars

I bet this would be great for wild animal pics for the entry level enthusiast…or peeping toms. Personally I like animals better, they dont raise hell about privacy issues.

-Jim

The gigantic ad is a flash thingy today. Lovely…

$40 at Sprenzy

Other captureview binoculars starting at $40 at Sprenzy

Other captureview binoculars starting at $40 at Pricegrabber

Good binocular buying guide from birding.com

FWIW, those interested in binoculars I bought these compact binoculars for a safari trip last year and was pretty happy with them… Olympus Tracker 10-30x25 Zoom Porro Prism Compact & Lightweight Binocular but they are $90 and no picture capture capabilities.

Pretty sure they would be awesome for hunting…not just for perverted things

Lemme tel everyone that Binocams really BLOW. I have had 2 experiences with them. I own a pair and have used a friends pair and on both occasions the resulting pictures couldnt have been more disappointing.

1. The low pixels is the first problem
  2. The absolute crummy way you zoom with these is horrible.

STAY AWAY from these type cameras

wow! i would definitely nominate this for worst woot! this is almost as useless as the usb locks that were sold on two for tuesday…

the only redeeming quality is that it isn’t a refurb…

Price from a reputablesource

Site

hahaha

I need something to bring to the football games…

not going to be using the camera thoough hehe

Don’t be ridiculous. You can’t base useage of such a device on the description woot gives. Come on… be realistic, there are useful things to do with such a device.

Not great. 8 is the magnification. 30 is the light-gathering power of the lenses.

If you divide the 30 by the 8, you get 3.75, which is a good idea of the brightness of these binocs (not very…they’d be quite dim in anything but the brightest daylight). In contrast, a 7x50 set (50/7 = 7.1) would give a much more usable image (just for comparison).

Today’s wording of the woot ad is a play on the 1966 sniper shootings at the University of Texas tower by Charles Whitman.

Very poor taste Woot.

Some far away pricing…

SecretPrices … $73 (different CaptureView model)

PriceGrabber … $93

More similiar models…

So-So. The 8 means that there is 8x magnification (that is, the image is 8x larger then it would be looking through flat glass). The 30 means that the aperture is 30 millimeters wide. The aperture controls how sharp and bright the image appears. 30mm is on the small side (good birding binoculars are usually 7x50, and the higher the magnification, the larger apertur needed to get the same quality image).

However, for bright daylight situations where you can easily steady the binoculars, these should be fine. However, I the quality of the optics (and the coatings) also play a major part, and at $25, these aren’t going to be great.

Well folks, we might just have a candidate for the worst Woot of 2006!

The camera is that litle cheap plastic thing with that cheap plastic lens thing on the top of the generally cheap plastic body of these otherwise really lousy binoculars.

Back to bed for me!

Those are different…

why do you need to take a picture for hunting? just get real binoculars. when I hunt ive never thought…

“hmm wish i could upload a picture of what i’m about to kill so i can reminisce about it later”

i personally think the 2 pack of mediocre vivtar binoculars back in august was a considerably much better deal. they were only $10 including shipping…

Manual link

Copy and paste for instruction manual

I was thinking almost the same thing, MMJ. It’s still a decent price for binocs, and the camera is a fun add-on. Might use it, probably won’t.