Stanley 20 Piece Socket Set

Sockets? It’s all b a l l bearings nowadays. Now you prepare that Fetzer valve with some 3-in-1 oil and some gauze pads.

What, all of them? I’ll get a set just for X3.159 compliance.

Not a bargain at this price without shipping! I bought the larger ¼ Stanley set for $8.99 at wall-e world 6 months ago… and a better quality too!

Shouldn’t that be:

…turned a nut somewhere deep inside Stanley…

??? This is a socket set, after all.

jyg

This set or any set Just like it is good for the occassional (put a cheap wal mart bike together for a christmas Or maybe a swing set)

I would not use this for automotive purposes. Stanley is a wal mart Brand. amazon has the exact same set for under 15.00 right now.

wal mart does not have it any longer - they have newer model stanley sets. I believe this set was 15 bucks or so at wally word when they had it.

People keep saying " In a pinch this would be better than nothing" True! But in a Pinch - if you are preparing for it right now, LOL why don’t you get something that will actually work? LOL

On The other hand - if you have people borrowing tools and never bringing them back - this set is the perfect thing to have laying around - just hand them this and say GOOD LUCK - if they don’t bring it back … who cares you still have your good tools at home. It’s absolutly perfect for that!

WRONG! Like all tools, use each where appropriate. 1/4" drives are very useful and will not break when used properly. The step up from 1/4" drive is 3/8", not 1/2". For most home uses, 1/2" is too big, and you are likely to break or strip nuts/bolts because of the added leverage due to the longer handle

Dang, some mighty hostile people out there! If the testosterone gets any deeper we’re gonna need waders to get around in here.

Anyone who uses tools with any significant frequency will know what brands to buy. And yes Stanley used to be one you could trust as decent and durable, but they are no longer a professional grade tool, IMHO.

That said, a simple 1/4 drive set like this is perfect for Harry & Harriet home maker who need a simple set in their closet tool box for putting together Christmas toys that have ‘some assembly required’ or the build it yourself furniture that comes with those little metal wrenches made of tin foil. Added to their kit with a hammer, a 6 in one screw driver and a wrench set they would be well on their way to handling those small tasks.

One person made a wise observation that the rachet itself might be lacking, I would advise anyone who does get this, or any lower priced set, to go to K-Mart or Sears and get a more durable 1/4 drive rachet.

I bought Kobalt’s version of these on sale at Lowe’s for just under 10 bucks. For someone who doesn’t need to have amazingly durable tools, who likes to have them on hand when something needs a little tweak here or there, these are probably gonna work just fine. If I hadn’t bought the Kobalt, I’d probably go with these. Cheap is the name.

This is great to throw in the back of your car. It will have most of what you need. Granted, if you put a breaker bar on it, you’ll find that it won’t hold up, but that’s why you have the nice set you keep in the shop!!!

BrBea. Hello…

It does have the half inch socket.
One can never have enough socket sets around the house, garage, car.

I must shop at the worst Sears stores. Every replacement tool they’ve given me has been a refurb. So now I refuse to buy a Crapsman. Several comments have already said it all…use this tool for it’s intended use. That’s not lug removal on your car!

No, it’s not the best socket set in the world, but it’s not epic faіl, either. This is a light-duty 1/4-inch drive set; it’s not meant for heavy use. Thing is, these cheap-o sets tend to have ill-fitting sockets and that makes them slip and bind. I wouldn’t bother keeping a set in my car, but I’d put one out where the kids can find it - those sockets are good enough for them to “borrow” and leave out in the yard for me to hit with the lawnmower.

my husband is uber toolman and stanley’s quality has decidedly declined since we’ve been married x 33 yrs. i’d say spend more; get better quality; you want your tools to last, not be throwaways.

I bought 3 of these… Now lemme tell you why.

As an ASE Master Technician for 30+ years, one of the most horrible things I ever hear is … “Hey, can I borrow your _____?”

My personal tools are mostly Snap-On, Matco, Mac, and in the past few years more Craftsman (warranty) and like that.

For a day-to-day tool, Stanley is not a great choice. But, a single 1/4 drive Snap-On socket costs more than this entire set.

So, these are great for me to loan out!

Also, most fasteners in the 1/4 drive range are going to be tightened up 12 ft. lbs or so and might require about twice what opening a beer bottle takes in terms of torque. These tools can handle that.

If you have more than one vehicle, these are good to toss in the trunk and forget them unless you are in an emergency. I’m not carrying my good stuff on the road.

lastly, it’s not too early to start thinking about next year’s Christmas for me, as i watch Woot all year for the bargains.

Stanley hand tools are cheaply made Asian junk suitable only for light duty work. If you want real tools for a reasonable price buy Craftsman when they are on sale. They are guaranteed for life and if they break (rare) you just take the one broken piece back to any sears store and they will replace it, no questions asked and you don’t need a receipt or anything.

I agree! I had a KMART brand rachet set I bought in the early 1980’s that I’m still using today! Very high quality. I don’t know who’s tools they put their name on at that time but my set is at least equal to Craftsman. It wasn’t cheaply priced, either, even 28 years ago.

The other posters had a great point, these are 1/4" pieces, not the standard 3/8" that most people think of when they think of a ratchet set.

Not everyone needs the highest quality tools all the time. A nice cheapy set that will hardly get used is just fine by me.

It seems like it would be a good set for working on if you were a PC Tech or used it to fix the dryer and stuff like that

I usually only get craftsman tools when it comes to auto tools. I love working on cars. I have a $150 set of craftsman sockets and wrenches and i Love them. I have a small travel size (like today’s woot) of craftsman that sits in my trunk, very handy.

Can’t comment on Stanley but must comment on poetic quality. It was must unexpected and most appreciated at this early hour. (7:04 AM in Cali). Perhaps you have a future in a new genre…Woot Poetry…you could write a book…or at least blog. But, (air high five) that was really good!