Stanley 20 Piece Socket Set

Sorry Obi-wan, but after the gash on my hand, the hospital bill and stitches I would advise to stay away from the cheap stuff. cost me more than the $30 socket set from craftsman

If you bought a good brand like Snap On or Mac tools you would expect to pay almost that much just for one socket or ratchet

In for 3! Good sets for the cars. If they save your butt once on the side of the road then they’ve paid for themselves.

On the other hand the Stanley MaxSteel Slip-Joint Pliers I wooted are Great!! never thought I would say this but when I opened the box I thought to myself " Yay! made in Taiwan" go figure

In for 2.

Tonight’s Woot has forced me to accept that I do not have a single wrench in my apartment, and for the price, I guess I really have no more excuses.

Maybe if it was craftsman or something I would buy… but not this K-mart brand stuff

No, I checked, the one I bought was the mechanics 75 piece set. However this one appears very similar, just smaller. I would bet it’s cheap junk just like it’s bigger version that I have.

Cheap (quality) tools are NEVER a bargain and certainly not for onboard vehicle maintenance. If I’m stuck somewhere I don’t want my tools breaking when I need them, and if I’m at my home I’ll use my good (Craftsman) tools.

Pass.

Dude, you’re behind the times…K-mart and Sears merged and now K-mart sells Sears tools.

I would buy these if they WERE K-mart brand.

Keep your butt of the side of the road. A and what is this set going to do for you?
remind you not to buy a car from Woot after every socket is busted except the one you throw at that car passing by ?

Keep in mind here that the quality of any socket set is size of the drive (1/4") and the type of metal (not listed).

The drive is the handle that each socket is connected to and most guys - and strong women - will break a 1/4" driver when apply significant force. Save your money and buy the right tool once (at least a 1/2"). Stanley tools have a reputation that has sadly declined over the past few years for smaller tool sets like the one featured. That being said, this is a good backup case to keep in a car or give as a gift - especially for $8.

Overall, fair woot.

I’d rather not have additional paper weights

And most guys (or girls?) wouldn’t break a 1/4’‘. I would even venture to say that no girl will break this 1/4’'. However, most guys who actually use tools will break this, thats why none of them are buying these.

Damn i love me some k-mart

I’ve never had a socket fail on me, even the cheapo sets like these. Don’t be a neanderthal. Use the tools like they’re supposed to be used and you won’t have a problem.

***I use a lot of hand tools and I can’t afford to buy tools that don’t work…
My experience is that Stanley is a very substandard product… ***

After years of working with my dad in his shop and now with a fiance that loves tools, I have learned if it’s not craftsman, don’t bother getting it. There is nothing better than a warranty that if something breaks you can exchange it … forever. Stanley used to be good, but like other people have said, this is just crap. Most people don’t need a socket set on a regular basis, those who do don’t want cheap stuff.

With all respect to my lovely friends at Woot…has anyone heard of Harbor Freight? If you’re not attached to the “value” that comes with the Stanley brand, the exact same type of set can be had at HF for $2-$4, depending upon the week…

Take that $30 and put it towards AAA membership. That will save you on the side of the road better than any sockets.

That looks like one of those ratchet handles that have about 10 teeth in the mechanism. You see them all the time in the bottom of someone’s toolbox, usually given to them as a gift by someone who didn’t know better.

true enough regarding breaking the drive, but consider you wouldn’t use this to take off a lug nut (not that you could get the socket anyway)…use the right tool for the job. this is a decent set for the application, sometimes a 1/4" drive is all that’s needed (giggity).

This is a $8, 1/4" drive socket set. If you want a Craftsman set - go to Sears / Kmart, but don’t be surprised when it costs you more than $8. I don’t think you can get the sockets for under $20. Stanley usually makes a decent tool, not a great tool like SnapOn or Mac or maybe even Allen or Crescent; but a decent tool. If you use it like a 1/4" drive socket set, I don’t imagine you will break anything. If you use it like a 1/2" drive set, or stick it on an impact wrench, then you’re just being a dumbass and deserve to break something.
As for Craftsman and their warranty - some of their tools are junk to start with, and a junk tool with a warranty is still a junk tool. If I am going to pay good money for a tool, I’d rather have one that won’t break at all and has a decent design and craftsmanship in the first place.