Antop AT-500SBS 80-Mile Amplified HDTV/FM Antenna

Antop AT-500SBS 80-Mile Amplified HDTV/FM Antenna

I bought one of these from Woot a few months ago. This thing struggles with a 40 mile range. Unless you live in the prairie or desert of Utah expect this to significantly underperform.

1 Like

I have Sling TV and use AirTV to get local stations. Reviews say to buy an actual outdoor antenna for best reception of OTA stations. This is a great price for this Amplified antenna but I don’t want to risk $65.

Did someone say Onatop?

1 Like

Uh, the mothership has this listed for $111 with a “list price” of $120. Where the hell do you get the $180 “list price” here?

Please, please, please do some research into antenna’s before buying one. Unless your in a city near the transmitters this probably won’t work. Hope you don’t need VHF either. Try tvfool or antennaweb to get real, actual information.

1 Like

The amplifiers in amplified antennas are meant to boost the signal for use with multiple TVs. They do not improve signal quality, and in fact can make it worse.

If you want to improve reception, higher and bigger.

I made an antenna similar to this one (not my photo). Beats anything I ever bought.
coathanger-antenna

1 Like

I’m in for one. My current old antenna that supposedly has lesser abilities, almost does the job, so for a measly $65 this should make the minimal difference that I need. If not, oh well.

Would it work better than this?

1 Like

We got it the hell on the Antop site.

Why to people have to swear when asking us questions?

4 Likes

I’m sorry. I’ll work on my language

2 Likes

Shit.

2 Likes

SHIT!

2 Likes

DAMMIT!

3 Likes

Compared to them, my thread tangents don’t seem so bad, huh? :wink:

1 Like

1 Like

‘‘The amplifiers in amplified antennas are meant to boost the signal for use with multiple TVs.’’ …this may be true ‘‘too’’ but I use to sell mobile antennas for Custom Vans and the add on amplifiers DID improve reception. And the only thing close to ‘‘in fact can make it worse’’ is that it also amplified any background noise you might have. But since most of the time the tvs were used only when the van was parked , like camping , there was little back ground noise like you would get from things like spark plugs , fan motors etc.

My antenna arrived today. WITHOUT THE G.D. POWER ADAPTER!

Hi there. These are new so it should have been there. Did you check all the nooks & cranies?

if you don’t find it, contact Antop. They should be able to send you one.

That is beyond insulting